0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 13:34
Only Yesterday tied with Nausicaa. Since Only Yesterday has no votes, I'll go ahead and give it one.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 13:40
I did a little Miazaki fest the other week, rewatched Nausicca, The Cat Returns and Ponyo. Tough choice as they're all amazing. They also range from "magical" (see Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki) to "epic" (see Nausicca, Mononoke, Moving Castle) and various combinations of each extreme (and I have my favorites in all categories). I don't know if I could pick JUST ONE movie of them all, but if I did it would probably have to be Nausicaa.
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 15:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ very nice version of such a fun song.  I often sing "To-toro, To-toro".

Not sure why I never voted in this poll as I love Studio Ghibli films.   Grave of the Fireflies (one of my absolute favourite animated films along with When the Wind Blows, Fantastic Planet, and Watership Down)  followed by the amazing Spirited Away.  Spirited Away is my daughter's favourite film, and Hiyao Miyazkai is her favourite director, and I'm so glad she appreciates it (my wife had told me not to show it to her, she was five then, because the images might scare her, but I insisted).  Ponyo was fun too.
Your daughter has good taste.

Thanks.  And I forgot that after I took it out it was my daughter who insisted on seeing it (had her watch the trailer first).

Miyazaki films are great for families to watch, I think -- even the darker ones.  And it's also good when one can have ones kids watch the subtitled versions to encourage them to read.  I prefer watching the films in Japanese with English subtitles since my Japanese is quite broken.  I don't really like some of the Disney changes to the dialogue/ characters and even music (regarding music, for instance, they totalled changed a song in Kiki's Delivery Service, and the Disney choice does not fit nearly so well).

From...

to...

I quite agree.  Disney's dubs aren't terrible, but something is lost in translation.  Often when they redo the songs, the result is just bad.  I also hated Disney's voice actor for Chihiro in Spirited Away; it almost ruined the movie for me.  However, when I watched the film in Japanese, I could enjoy the film without any quandaries.  To me, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro are flawless films that shouldn't be tampered with.  One exception might be Fox's dub of My Neighbor Totoro, but that's mainly for sentimental reasons.  Also, here's a fun fact if you like gaming: the voice of the father (Shigesato Itoi) is the creator of the RPG series Mother (or Earthbound in the English-speaking countries).  As you can tell, I am quite a fan.

Edited by UndercoverBoy - June 17 2010 at 19:49
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 15:44
I saw Princess Mononoke with an English dub and it was OK, but much improved later when I saw it in Japanese. Howl's Moving Castle had a brilliant English cast, Christian Bale was superb as Howl. I could say that it was at the same level as the original dub.

No singing in those two, though. LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - June 17 2010 at 15:44
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2010 at 15:46
I have only seen Princess Mononoke is English, I'll have to try to see it in Japanese.
Falx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 04:31
Totoro has the catchiest theme song, but my overall vote goes to Porco Rosso. One of the best animated films ever made.

=F=
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123