Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedagAPe Ars Progressiva (symphonic prog, Brazil)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: agAPe Ars Progressiva (symphonic prog, Brazil)
    Posted: May 02 2009 at 19:02

BAND: agAPe Ars Progressiva
GENRES: Symphonic prog
YEARS ACTIVE: 07 (1995 to 2002)
GIGS: 20

INTRODUCTION

Hi folks! My name is Ricardo Luga, also known as Cebola. I'm a drummer and appreciate progressive rock very much.

Please meet and know one more underground and cult progressive rock from Brazil: agAPe Ars Progressiva.

The band existed from 1995 to 2002. There were four main members:

- Sergio Lisergico: keyboards and main vocals (aged 36 in 2009).
- Luiz Carlos: guitars and vocals (aged 32 in 2009).
- Daniel Kerbrie: bass guitar (aged 33 in 2009).
- Ricardo Luga (me): drums, percussion and tape effects (aged 33 in 2009).

You can find more info about the band at the links below:

http://www.syker-fields.kit.net - All the links here!!
http://www.agape-prog.kit.net - Official home page, under construction.
http://www.last.fm/music/Agape+Ars+Progressiva - Our Last.fm channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFzbtkseWI - YouTube: Faster than lite (live 1997) - This is our most famous track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooLnIwDy4E - YouTube: Ladymoon's shout (rehearsal 1997) - This is our rariest track.
http://ceboluga.multiply.com - My blog, you can find lotta stuff here too.

RELEASES

1997: Seems like heaven demo tape.
1998: Cultura Inglesa's CD (1 track).
2005: agAPe CD + Bonus EP (mastered, but not released - available only in CD-R and mp3).

BIO (same as used in Last.fm channel)

Sergio Lisergico and Luiz Carlos are the original members of the band. Their first meeting was at the Engineer College (Escola Politecnica da Universidade de Sao Paulo) in 1995. Both of them were searching for musicians to set a progressive rock band up, and soon their ambitions were consumed due to the entry of Adriano Gaeta and Uccio Gaeta. Shortly after that, agAPe wrote Seems like heaven and recorded it in a small 8-track studio.

Some protocol problems forced the Gaeta Brothers to quit the band. Luiz Carlos came up with the name of his long time high school partner, Daniel Kerbrie, for the bass player place. They have been schoolmates since 1991, and by that time they formed the Revolution group. Daniel was the first of many changes that would come into the sound, specially because he had some strong jazz and funk influences.

Ricardo Luga, who is from the same college of Sergio Lisergico and Luiz Carlos, but unknown for them until then, idealized a musical festival for his college, called Severinata. Ricardo Luga was asked to join the band then, bringing with him some heavier influences. Now the band was ready to appear in the festival above mentioned.

With this line-up, the band was able to build a respectable curriculum and achieve a small but respectable sucess by their audience and the musical universe.

After 4 years the band was joined by a new component: Paulo Marcio. Introduced to the band as a Ricardo Luga's friend, he was quickly accepted as the one responsible for the horns. Since then, agAPe band got more conscious and complex for its compositions, always with the musicality that has consecrated its style. This short period starting by the end of 1999 was followed by musical holiday, and members worked in other interests.

agAPe came back to scenario in 2001 with a new musical approaching, clean, simple and fresh. Musicality changed to reach a bigger but yet eclectic audience. This new try was just a short breath, and agAPe was declared "over" in 2002.

This is a short list of the most important things that happened to the band over those years:

• Faster than lite's recording sessions for the "Cultura Inglesa's CD", on the second half of 1997, at the Todd Waldon Murphy studios;
  • Appearance at the "Cultura Inglesa Rock Festival" 1997's edition (Youth Arts Festivals) finals at the Palace (SP) performing Why do the songs need a name?;
  • Appearance at the "Cultura Inglesa Rock Festival" and the "Cultura Inglesa Branch Rock Competition's" eliminatories from 1997 to 1999. In 1997, the band was the greatest winner of the evening, taking the awards for best songs (Seems like heaven and Why do the songs need a name?), best guitar player, best bass player and best drummer. As a bonus, the band recorded Faster than Lite for the "Cultura Inglesa's CD" and appeared in the finals at the Palace (SP). In 1998, they won the awards for the second best song (Faster than lite), best cover (Aqualung) and best bass player again. In 1999, the band won the award for the best band with Aqualung;
  • Appearance at the "Civil Blues Festival" realized at the "Escola Politecnica de Sao Paulo" in 1997 and 1998;
  • Appearance at the "Amostra de Musica da Poli (AMUPOLI)" in the years of 1996 and 1997. In 1997, agAPe was the greatest winner of the night, with Faster than lite;
  • Recording sessions for the Seems like heaven demo tape during July, 1996. This tape contains Seems like heaven, Why do the songs need a name?, Am I dreaming?, You're like anyone and The real perception;
  • Appearance in all the editions of the "Festival Universitario de Musica da Engenharia Civil" (1995 to 1999), known as "Severinata", which took place at the campus of the "Escola Politecnica de Sao Paulo". Special appearances of known brazilian bands such as Mundo Livre S/A, Skamoondongos and Dr. Sin. In 1998, Daniel smashed up his bass on the stage.

Meet agAPe at http://www.agape-prog.kit.net/

COMPLETE GIG LIST (original band are listed between brackets on cover music, all gigs took place in Sao Paulo city)

• Butantan, 11/17/1995 – I Severinata: Highway star (Deep Purple), A lâmpada psicodélica incandescente, Immigrant song (Led Zeppelin), The gentle art of making enemies (Faith No More), Seems like heaven, I live it.
  • Butantan, 09/20/1996 – I AMuPoli: You’re like anyone, Faster than lite, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Am I dreaming?
  • Butantan, 10/25/1996 – II Severinata: Unknown set list. Probably the band played Seems like heaven, The psychedelic shining light pole, Faster than lite, Am I dreaming?, You’re like anyone, Why do the songs need a name?, Mirror faces, The real perception, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles).
  • Santo Amaro, 02/20/1997 - Black Jack Rock Bar: Faster than lite, You’re like anyone, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, Mirror faces, Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), The psychedelic shining light pole, Gettin’ tighter (Deep Purple), Am I dreaming?, I will follow (U2), The real perception.
  • Butantan, ??/??/1997 - Cervejada da Engenharia Eletrica: Unknown set list. Probably the band played the same set list as 02/20/1997 or 06/06/1997.
  • Pinheiros, 05/18/1997 – Youth Ars Festival, Cultura Inglesa: Why do the songs need a name?, Seems like heaven.
  • Butantan, 06/06/1997 – III Civil Blues Festival: Faster than lite, Why do the songs need a name?, Seems like heaven, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Am I dreaming?, The real perception, The psychedelic shining light pole, Mirror faces, I live it, Highway star (Deep Purple), Burn (Deep Purple), Gettin’ tighter (Deep Purple), The gentle art of making enemies (Faith No More), Rock’n’roll (Led Zeppelin), The trooper (Iron Maiden), Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), I will follow (U2).
  • Moema, 06/10/1997 – XIII Cultura Inglesa Rock Fest: Why do the songs need a name?
  • Butantan, 09/13/1997 – Helloween, Curso Aprove: Faster than lite, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, You’re like anyone, I will follow (U2), Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), The real perception, The psychedelic shining light pole.
  • Butantan, 10/03/1997 – II AMuPoli: Faster than lite, The psychedelic shining light pole, Am I dreaming?
  • Butantan, 10/30/1997 – III Severinata: Faster than lite, Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, The real perception, Mirror faces, The psychedelic shining light pole.
  • Higienopolis, 04/26/1998 – Branch Rock Competition, Cultura Inglesa: Faster than lite, Aqualung (Jethro Tull).
  • Vila Mariana, 05/09/1998 – XIV Cultura Inglesa Rock Fest: Faster than lite, Aqualung (Jethro Tull).
  • Butantan, 05/29/1998 – IV Civil Blues Festival: Yer’ blues (The Beatles), Sunshine of your love (The Cream), Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, Why do the songs need a name?, Aqualung (Jethro Tull), Faster than lite, Time (Pink Floyd), Long distance runaround (Yes), The fish (Yes), The psychedelic shining light pole, Rock’n’roll (Led Zeppelin).
  • Jardins, 08/27/1998 – Tequila Body Shots, Brew Pub (special guest - TFDG, Tequila Freakin’ Dancin’ Girl): Sunshine of your love (The Cream), Crossroads (Robert Johnson, The Cream), Immigrant song (Led Zeppelin), Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, Long distance runaround (Yes), Subdivisions (Rush), Faster than lite, Time (Pink Floyd), Space Oddity (David Bowie), Aqualung (Jethro Tull), Yer’ blues (The Beatles), Discotheque (U2), Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), Roxanne (The Police), I will follow (U2), Sunday bloody Sunday (U2), Born to be wild (Steppenwolf), The real perception, I saw her standing there (The Beatles), Please please me (The Beatles), Please Mr. Postman (The Beatles), You’re like anyone, Roll over Beethoven (Chuck Berry, The Beatles), Twist and shout (The Beatles), Rock’n’roll (Led Zeppelin).
  • Butantan, 10/23/1998 – II Travada: Sunshine of your love (The Cream), Born to be wild (Steppenwolf), Yer’ blues (The Beatles), Please please me (The Beatles), Please Mr. Postman (The Beatles), Roll over Beethoven (Chuck Berry, The Beatles), I saw her standing there (The Beatles), Twist and shout (The Beatles), Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), Discotheque (U2), I will follow (U2), Sunday bloody Sunday (U2), Rock’n’roll (Led Zeppelin).
  • Butantan, 11/06/1998 – IV Severinata: Paz, Aqualung (Jethro Tull), Subdivisions (Rush), Faster than lite, Time (Pink Floyd), Long distance runaround (Yes), The psychedelic shining light pole.
  • Butantan, 10/22/1999 – V Severinata: Aqualung (Jethro Tull), The real perception, Subdivisions (Rush), Just let your feeling show, Faster than lite, Paz.
  • Itaim, 11/06/1999 – Branch Rock Competition, Cultura Inglesa: Aqualung (Jethro Tull), Hell’s bells (Bill Bruford).
  • Butantan, 12/09/1999 – Brejada dos Formandos 1999, USP: Sunshine of your love (The Cream), Crossroads (Robert Johnson, The Cream), Yer’ blues (The Beatles), I will follow (U2), Sunday bloody Sunday (U2), Discotheque (U2), Big Bang Baby (Stone Temple Pilots), You’re like anyone, Please Mr. Postman (The Beatles), Please please me (The Beatles), Roll over Beethoven (Chuck Berry, The Beatles), I saw her standing there (The Beatles), Twist and shout (The Beatles), Sgt. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band (The Beatles), Seems like heaven, Born to be wild (Steppenwolf), Gettin’ tighter (Deep Purple), Just let your feeling show, The real perception, Faster than lite, Time (Pink Floyd), Subdivisions (Rush), Paz, Long distance runaround (Yes), Aqualung (Jethro Tull), Why do the songs need a name?, Am I dreaming?, Rock’n’roll (Led Zeppelin), The psychedelic shining light pole.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 08:08
Why don't you re-unite, Mr. Onion? Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
ceboluga View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:48
Hi,

The band split in 2002. Since then, we live in different cities. In fact, still Sergio, Luiz and Daniel live in Sao Paulo, and I've moved to Macae.

My family lives in Sao Paulo too. So, I travel to visit them about twice a year, and we reunite the band during these occasions. We've got a new project, called Industry. It's almost the same line-up (including Paulo Marcio, the ex-saxophonist). Now Daniel plays the guitar and Paulo Marcio plays the bass guitar.
 Post Reply Post Reply