Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ian Wallace's Crimson Jazz Trio "King Crimson Song
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIan Wallace's Crimson Jazz Trio "King Crimson Song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Wallace's Crimson Jazz Trio "King Crimson Song
    Posted: May 03 2009 at 14:17

Review of the new Crimson Jazz Trio album "King Crimson Songbook, Vol 2" is available here

http://www.examiner.com/x-7870-Salt-Lake-City-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2009m5d3-Ian-Wallaces-crimson-swan-song

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 12:12
I really like their first one , I am sure this must be an incredible record!
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 20:00
Thanks for the link Progopolis. Its a very comprehensive review. I have ordered my copy and I'm much looking forward to it after the great Vol 1. So pleased with the news of it's release - a fitting testament or tribute to the talents of the late and great Ian Wallace.

I see that there is no review here on PA yet . Not surprising really. Despite it's inclusion in new releases, the CJ3 listing here on PA has not been updated to include this new release. No details whatsoever . Perhaps an indication of the extent to which this great trio doing such amazing material has been overlooked ? ?

[ My views only . I'm assuming unreviewed new releases are usually updated on PA band listings ].
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 19:44
Can someone please add ' King Crimson Songbook - Vol 2 ' to their listing here as someone may want to review it . My copy has arrived so I may get around to it . If there is some way for anyone to add it, I'm not trying to be awkward , I'm just not up to speed. Thanks.
mrgd
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 20:35
I'm thinking you can do it yourself, but what do I know.  Want to know how you like it.  I really liked 1 and am not expecting otherwise with 2.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 01:50
I probably could, given average computer and/or typing skills. Sadly, these I don't have and it's a major effort for me to do even this.

I've only had my copy for 24 hours and haven't even listened to it all . I also really enjoy Vol 1 and I've already picked up on a few differences .

The mix is definitely different - Vol 1 has a sharper more defined ' live' type mix with each instrument clearly strong in the mix . Vol 2
has more of a studio produced sound with less definition to my ears - not yet sure that I like the mix as much. Also song selection is more varied ie. some later KC tunes as well have been interpreted.

Mel Collins's soprano on ' Frame by Frame ' is just excellent . I'm guessing his other contribution will be on ' Formentera Lady ' but I'll let you know. Jody Nardone also does some vocals on ' Inner Garden' which work.

It's nicely packaged with some great photos and the inevitable tributes from the other members to the memory of IW in extensive liner notes. For enthusiasts, it's a must have for these reasons alone you would think. Anyway........
mrgd
 Post Reply Post Reply