Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto-Prog of 1966, a playlist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto-Prog of 1966, a playlist
    Posted: May 22 2009 at 05:38
Once again I'm trying to create a playlist of proto-prog. Time time for the year 1966. I need your collaboration, so please fill in any blanks you find - any '66 song you think may have contributed to the development of prog.

Song                                   Recorded/Released           Artist                                  Style

Eight Miles High                Jan/March '66                     Byrds                                  US psyche

Why?                                  Jan/March '66                     Byrds

You Still Believe in Me      Jan/May '66                        The Beach Boys                

Good Vibrations                 Feb/Oct '66                         The Beach Boys                

Tobacco Road                    Feb/Sept '66                        Jefferson Airplane              folk/US psyche

Blues from an Airplane      March/Sept '66                   Jefferson Airplane              folk/US psyche

Come Up the Years            March/Sept '66                   Jefferson Airplane              folk/US psyche

I Ain't Got No Heart          March/June '66                   Frank Zappa                      

Who Are the Brain Police? March/June '66                   Frank Zappa                      

Help, I'm a Rock                March/June '66                   Frank Zappa                      

The Return of the Son…    March/June '66                   Frank Zappa                      

Here Today                         March/May '66                   The Beach Boys                

Don't Talk (Put Your…)    April/May '66                     The Beach Boys                

Rain                                    April/June '66                     Beatles                               

Tomorrow Never Knows    April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

Eleanor Rigby                     April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

I'm Only Sleeping               April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

Love You To                                            April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

And Your Bird Can Sing   April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

Doctor Robert                    April/Aug '66                      Beatles                               

I See You                           May/July '66                       Byrds                                 

What's Happening?!?!        May/July '66                       Byrds                                 

2-4-2 Fox Trot                    May/July '66                       Byrds                                 

Hot House of Omagarishi  ?/July '66                             Yardbirds                          

Turn into Earth                   ?/July '66                             Yardbirds                          

Ever Since the World…     ?/July '66                             Yardbirds                          

She Said She Said              June/Aug '66                       Beatles                               

Break on Through (To…)   Aug '66/Jan '67                   Doors                                 

Soul Kitchen                       Aug '66/Jan '67                   Doors                                 

Light My Fire                     Aug '66/Jan '67                   Doors                                 

A Quick One, While…       Sept/Dec '66                       Who                                   

Boris the Spider                  Oct/Dec '66                        Who                                    UK psyche

Cobwebs and Strange        Oct/Dec '66                        Who                                   

Third Stone from the Sun   Oct '66/May '67                  The Jimi Hendrix Exp        space rock

Happy Jack                         Nov/Dec '66                       Who                                   

Mind Gardens                    Nov '66/Feb '67                  Byrds                                  Raga

Today                                 Nov '66/Feb '67                  Jefferson Airplane             

Comin' Back to Me            Nov '66/Feb '67                  Jefferson Airplane             

Embryonic Journey             Nov '66/Feb '67                  Jefferson Airplane             

White Rabbit                                              Nov '66/Feb '67                Jefferson Airplane             

Plastic Fantastic Lover       Nov '66/Feb '67                  Jefferson Airplane             

The Duke of Prunes            Nov '66/May '67                 Frank Zappa                      

Invocation and Ritual…     Nov '66/May '67                 Frank Zappa                      

Everybody's Been Burned Dec '66/Jan '67                   Byrds                                 

Renaissance Fair                 Dec '66/Feb '67                   Byrds                                 

C.T.A. – 102                       Dec '66/Feb '67                   Byrds                                 

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 08:42
Courtesy of Atavachron:

The Nonesuch Guide To Electronic Music 1966 Beaver & Krause
Rank1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 11:19
The missing one here is "Strawberry Fields Forever" recorded in November and into December of 1966. I would add "For No One" by the Beatles it's sounds almost classical with it's combination piano/clavichord sounds. I would add the Yardbirds "Over Under Sideways Down".

Edited by Rank1 - May 27 2009 at 11:29
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 03:27
I thought Strawberry Fileds Forever was finished in early 1967, but you are confirmed by Lewisohn's "The Beatles: Recording sessions".
 Post Reply Post Reply