Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour Drink of Choice: A Pop Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What's your Pop of choice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.59%]
6 [17.65%]
9 [26.47%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [26.47%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 03:39
^I understand, the same is true in cities like New Orleans in the United states. However, my experience in foreign countries include having drink choices be either Coke, Fanta or Water, when here in the US there's quite a selection in case you didn't know. And foreigners specifically order coke.

Coke is an international word for happiness in liquid form, as far as I know.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 03:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...and most supermarkets have their own brand, some of which is actually very good:

'original American taste'    LOL woo-hoo!

I remember the NewCoke debacle when they realized no one wanted Coke to taste like Pepsi, so they did ClassicCoke for a few years, now it's back to just Coke

TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...and most supermarkets have their own brand, some of which is actually very good:

'original American taste'    LOL woo-hoo!

I remember the NewCoke debacle when they realized no one wanted Coke to taste like Pepsi, so they did ClassicCoke for a few years, now it's back to just Coke

Americans taste awful. Why would Coca Cola want to reproduce that?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 20:50

Sprecher...a little microbrewery in Milwaukee, WI. Best root beer and cream soda that I've ever had.

Make damn good beers, too.

E
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 21:04
Except Coke, Pepsi and RC Cola (which I believe doesn't exist here anymore), none of the mentioned is sold in Peru, so i have to go with Pepsi when I'm not on diet.

Iván

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2009 at 21:11
If I'm stuck with a brown pop, I'll go with Coke.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 01:16
Honestly never heard of most of these and from this list (not including the last option) only 2 of these are available off the shelf here in Australia.
Dr Pepper used to be sold here, which sucks because I love that stuff but I haven't had it for years now.
Jolt used to be sold here from what I've been told, but I've never seen it in real life, hasn't been sold here for years.
Coke and Pepsi are the only 2 off the list I've had in recent times and can get readily.
Like with what Dean said, it also applies to here in Australia that some supermarkets have their own brand of Cola too, and it's always really cheap compared to Coke or Pepsi. I prefer most supermarket brand cola to Coke, but out of all of them Pepsi is always the best tasting to me.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 13:02
Coke all the way

However, also a fan of Dr Bob (the cheap Giant brand of Dr Pepper) Its delicious
Also RC Grape Soda. It SOO grapey!

Edited by JJLehto - May 31 2009 at 13:02
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 13:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Except Coke, Pepsi and RC Cola (which I believe doesn't exist here anymore), none of the mentioned is sold in Peru, so i have to go with Pepsi when I'm not on diet.

Iván

You were expecting this, weren't you IvanWink:

Anyways, just like Ivan, in Argentina they only sell Coca-Cola and Pepsi from the list, and I must say that Coca-Cola gets my vote.

Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 13:43
1. Coke
2. Jolt Cola (Extra caffeine ftw! Tongue)
3. Pepsi
4. Dr Pepper
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 13:44
Yeah, Inca Cola is one of the best sodas I ever tasted, the diet version is even better, despite I notrmally hate Diet sodas. it's sold in USA as Golden Cola.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 31 2009 at 17:44

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 13:46
^it was way too sweet for me, if I remember well. Tasted it 1 year ago, more or less...
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 16:04
MOUNTAIN DEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 16:48

Yeah, Inca Cola is one of the best sodas I ever tasted, the diet version is even bbetter, despite I notrmally hate Diet sodas. it's sold in USA as Golden Cola.

Iván

I've seen it rather frequently in grocery stores here. Since Micky is a fan of sodas (I'm not), I think we will give it a try one of these daysWink.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 17:50
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Yeah, Inca Cola is one of the best sodas I ever tasted, the diet version is even bbetter, despite I notrmally hate Diet sodas. it's sold in USA as Golden Cola.

Iván

I've seen it rather frequently in grocery stores here. Since Micky is a fan of sodas (I'm not), I think we will give it a try one of these daysWink.

Here we use Inca Cola mostly to eat WITH food, it's perfect for that, it's made with a herb called Hierba Luisa that helps the digestive process.

Hierba Luisa

A new food discovery that I have made while in Peru is Hierba luisa, a grass-like plant that tends to grow easily on the coast of Northern Peru. I bought a box of Hierba luisa tea at the market because I didn’t know what it was and I wanted to try it. It has a strong lemon aroma and taste, almost like lemon-heads candy. Then when I started working at Otra Cosa, the couple that started OC have Hierba luisa growing in their garden. It’s such a distinctive, amazing herb. Here in Peru they cut off the leaves and steep it in hot water for tea.  

The research that I was able to compile is that it’s the same plant as the lemongrass used in Asian cuisines, except the bottom two inches of the hard stem is used for cooking instead of the leaves. I don’t really understand why the leaves are not used, because in Peru, that’s the most popular part. I have yet to see people dig up their lemongrass plants and use the stem, they just trim the leaves on the plant.

Lemongrass has some different species within the genus, one is used for citronella production and another is for making geraniol oil for the perfume industry. Lemongrass has many medicinal properties such as helping with arthritis, stress and stomach problems. It is high in anti-oxidants as well.

We discovered hat you may eat a lot and drink this soda that helps not to feel full.

Of course in a sunny day we drink Coke or Pepsi (That are a disaster with food), but otherwise, Inca Kola sells 2.5 more times than both of the biggest brands, despite what they say.

BTW; Recently learned that Coca Cola couldn't fight them so bought 50% of the stocks of Inca Kola in US$ 300'000,000. So Pepsi is dead /The pepsi Challenge created by them destroyed it, people thought they were cheating) and all the fast food chains can sell Coca and Inca Cola.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 31 2009 at 18:04

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 17:52
I know we have something called 'erba luisa' in Italy too, but I didn't know it was the same thing as lemongrass (which I sometimes use to make Asian-style dishes). In Italy it is very popular as an ingredient for candles or sprays that are supposed to keep mosquitoes away (and they work!).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 18:18
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I know we have something called 'erba luisa' in Italy too, but I didn't know it was the same thing as lemongrass (which I sometimes use to make Asian-style dishes). In Italy it is very popular as an ingredient for candles or sprays that are supposed to keep mosquitoes away (and they work!).

Most surely, but it must be a different variety, we have like 30 sub.species the one we use is  Lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla), and for the soda the leave are used unlike most of the world where the flower is used.

Has a strong lemmon aroma that probably helps keeping bugs away.

Iván 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 18:37
Lemon Verbena is not Lemongrass - Lemongrass looks like a grass when it is growing while lemon verbena does not.

lemongrass and lemon verbena

I have Lemon Verbena and another herb called Lemon Balm (which is of the mint family) growing in my garden - both have a strong citrus aroma and both can be used in cooking and to make infusions.

I've never tried making a drink from the Verbena flowers, but using flowers to make soft drinks is something we do here in the UK too (with Elderflower), and now is the time of the year to do it. Approve

Edited by Dean - May 31 2009 at 18:38
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 18:55
That's right, Dean. Lemongrass has tough stalks (which are usually strained out of soups and sauces), while lemon verbena has leaves, like most herbs. In Italy, lemongrass is called citronella, and it is the one used as an insect repellent.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2009 at 19:17
Yes Dean, that's the problem when some herbs use local names rather than stardard ones, I only knew it as Hierba Luisa since I remember.

According to some sources Hierba Luisa is lemongrass, but according to Wikipedia it's Lemon Verbena. God knows, but it tastes fantastic. Wink

Iván

BTW: Our Hierba Luisa looks more like lemongrass of your photo for what I seen, long leaves and a small flower.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 31 2009 at 19:48

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>