This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The music of Zombi
    Posted: May 25 2009 at 13:43
ZOMBI

Again, not so much a poll, but more a way to get more people to know of this duo of bass/synth/drums/effects.

PA Bio:
Zombi biography
Producing work that is epic in concept, sound, and artistic approach, Steve Moore and A.E. Paterra, the masterminds and multi-instrumentalists behind Zombi, have re-imagined the architecture of progressive rock and dynamic instrumentals -carving a niche in underground music distinctly their own.

The band's signature sound, achieved using only electric bass, drums, and a collection of analog synthesizers, is deceptively lush considering its two man skeleton crew ensemble. Moore's bass playing and meticulous synthesizer programming interacts seamlessly with Paterra's controlled, precision drumming -as if each man is anticipating his counterpart's next move. Punctuated by Moore and Paterra's seasoned songwriting skills, each Zombi song -whether grand in design like "Night Rhythms" from the band's forthcoming LP or powerful and driving like "Orion," the opening track on Cosmos -is entirely autonomous and true to the duo's creative vision.

"I bring a lot of skeletal ideas to the table -basslines, sequences, and drum parts. Steve will then craft them into complete songs," Paterra explains. "There is a musical trust that exists between us that allows for full exploration of all ideas. We are perfectionists, sometimes to a fault, but I think it is a quality that lends itself well to the music."

"We share the same goal, which is simply to create music that we enjoy -it's rather selfish," Moore adds. "We have a similar list of influences as well, both of us having grown up listening to progressive and classic rock. So when it comes time to write, we're basically completing each other's thoughts."

Following the success of Cosmos -Zombi's critically-acclaimed debut album for Relapse Records -and a series of national tours with artists like Dillinger Escape Plan, The f**king Champs, Red Sparowes, Panthers, and Breather Resist, Moore and Paterra regrouped in Chicago to begin work on their next full-length album.

"Surface To Air is a genuinely progressive album: bigger, denser, and more dynamic than anything we've done before," Moore says. "It's still dark and cinematic, but without being kitschy like some of our earlier releases."

"The album is an accurate representation of who we are and where we are headed as a band," Paterra adds. "It is the culmination of a style and sound we've been honing since our inception, but it also puts us in a new direction, one that I am excited to explore."

Larger in scope and sound, Surface To Air is an evolutionary album, anchored by the distinct melodic and technically complex sound Zombi has become known for, but more mature and forward-thinking in its overall conceptual approach. While the track listing may at first appear lean at a mere five songs, the attentive listener will soon realize that Moore and Paterra have composed and assembled more than 40 minutes of emotive, dynamic, multi-layered music -making Surface To Air a magnum opus in its own right.

Informed by the music and boundary-pushing work ethic of icons like Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Van Halen, and Pink Floyd, Moore and Paterra rely just as much on inspiration from the past as they do on their own skill and musical knowledge during the songwriting process. On Surface To Air, the integrity of tracks like "Challenger Deep" with its powerful, driving bassline, and the mysterious mounting tension of "Digitalis" are indisputable evidence of Zombi's artistic growth and allegiance to producing a diverse and progressive body of work. "Legacy," however, sidesteps, revealing a more introspective direction in Moore and Paterra's work, while the album's title track, "Surface To Air," opens with a frantically-paced and hypnotic synthesizer-laden melody.

Experimenting with a vast new sound, Zombi proves that charging forward with an expansive vision can open doors to an entirely new realm. While Moore and Paterra still draw inspiration from the horror genre when composing film scores, a broader range of influences -as well as a desire to push the boundaries of what they've already accomplished -now informs the material for their albums. Whether you're an adventurous listener, diehard fan, or skeptical observer, delving into the latest chapter of Zombi's prolific and ever-evolving work will never disappoint.

Matthew Newton

http://www.zombi.us/xii/home.html

http://www.myspace.com/zombi

JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 14:43
I only have Spirit Animal, i like what this band does very much. Especially the drumming, very Neil Peart like.
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 16:19
i've heard only Spirit Animal , and very cool music is that 
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 16:26
Zombi is definitely one of those bands that I strongly prefer to see live than listen to on record. I think their live energy doesn't fully translate onto record. Plus, the synths and stuff that they use tend to sound cheesier on record than they do live (like in the opening track on Spirit Animal). Not quite sure which record is my favorite. I think it might be Surface to Air. Starts out with a weakish opener but that last track is flippin' great.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 09:38
Thanks for the replies.

I ordered their album through Relapse (their label), as there was a nice promotion going on in March (free cd with every cd purchased) and I got those as I was intrigued with their sound which I heard on their Myspace and I wasn't disappointed. A very special enchanting atmosphere, haunting hypnotic melodies and cool effects. So far I think Spirit Animal is my favourite release, but all are very worthwhile and gratifying listening experiences.

Hope more Forum folks here give this duo a listen.

http://www.zombi.us/xii/home.html

http://www.myspace.com/zombi

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2009 at 18:39
^Yes, I took advantage of that deal as well, though in hindsight I wish I had taken more advantage than I did.

Listening to Spirit Animal again, and it continues to grow on me, and at exonential rates. Each album definitely brings something new to the table. The material on Cosmos is really energetic and the hooks get you right away. From there they started focusing more on textures and the like. Sometimes the tracks seemed to overstay their welcome, but I realized it really depends on your mood. The reptition can actually become quite hypnotic.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply