Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 474849
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2019 at 08:15
And finally their album excerpt has come.

Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2019 at 19:24
Anyway last night I've attended Le Silo's gig at Placebo (Osaka, Japan). Sorry there's no photo of the gig but the three splendid musicians played extensively and powerfully as well ... tunes mainly in their fourth album that has almost been finished mixing and will be released this winter (maybe in December, 2019).

... And "Live Cafe & Bar Placebo" is in this renowned leisure centre "Misono Building" in Osaka.

Clap
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 03:11
Stance Tongue ... (from left to right) Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass), Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophones), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitars)

Hey all, another splendid jazz / funk (not prog though) project have come from Nagoya, Japan.
Quote A Nagoya-oriented jazz / funk combo STANCE TONGUE were founded in 2014 by Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophone), Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitar), and Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass).

They've released the second album "Our" in the summer 2019.
Our (2019) - STANCE TONGUE

Foundation is everything. Sounds like STANCE TONGUE's second creation "Our" mentions these words via the nine tracks by the quintet, let me say at first. A Nagoya-oriented jazz / funk quintet STANCE TONGUE were founded in 2014 featuring five individual talented musicians each of whom has different musical basis and taste from the others, but they can be merged, unified, harmonized, and completely crystallized as a perfect sound collective in this album (and maybe on stage, I've not attended yet though). Every tone via their instruments gets synchronized together and knocks our mind door step by step. Without any eccentricity nor oddness, the five gemstones polish themselves to brilliant gems through modest but steady play technique.

Keyboard-based beautiful lines here and there created by Hiroaki are wonderful, as if we lay down in a flowergarden. In "Freeway" it's crazy fascinating that fantastic saxophone vibes and percussive drumming are chasing after each other. Yumi's saxophone play should colourize their entire soundscape, it's apparent. Eizo's complicated guitar phrases in "No. 179" (means what?) is great indeed but no exaggeration nor bombast around him ... what an importance. Needless to say, the rhythm section - Nobukazu's drumming and Atsutomo's bass play - keeps supporting the whole sound atmosphere as a ground basis. The two fundamental players especially the bassist have no grandeur nor extraordinariness, but they make themselves behave as a backbone of the quintet ... yikes, their strict pay in a supportive, modest manner should be quite tougher than under the spotlight.

In any situation or under any circumstance, we can enjoy their sincere play.

Thank you for reading this blog.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 05:04
^ Great stuff, thanks for sharing! I've been listening to a lot of Japanese Jazz/Funk in the last year or so, I find impressive the musicianship combined with keen melodic sense and groove. So complex and yet so accessible.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 17:15
Thanks Samuel! Big smile

I'll notify them your kind words soon. Heart
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 23:41
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Stance Tongue ... (from left to right) Hiroaki TAKABATAKE (keyboards), Atsutomo ISHIGAKI (bass), Yumi NAKAMURA (saxophones), Nobukazu KATAGIRI (drums), Eizo KOGANEZAKA (guitars)

Quite enjoyable, and I really like how they use the saxophone ... as a part of the whole thing instead of (more often than not) going off a bit on its own.

... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 02:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Quite enjoyable, and I really like how they use the saxophone ... as a part of the whole thing instead of (more often than not) going off a bit on its own.
Thanks Pedro, and sorry for my missing your kind post. Embarrassed

They will get happy with your appreciation. Big smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 13:22
Hi,

Heard last night, for the first time, the NML thing, on Space Pirate Radio ... it was a combination of Sakamoto, Sylvan and Kraftwerk, and apparently for something that Princess Diana was working on ... no more landmines!

It was really fine, and worth the listen, even if it appeared to me on the ambient side of things.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, however, has been for a very long time a favorite of mine, specially including his soundtracks which are magnificent all around, and recently his piano versions of some of the material is ... a huge WOW ... even if I am a bit silly and love the triad of NEO GEO, BEAUTY and HEARTBEAT ... all three of these are just way out there but very neat, and seeing a concert off the tube where they do some of the material from Beauty ... is ... yeah ... no words for it!
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 22:30
I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese Psychedelic Rock and I hope to post a blog soon to spread the word about all of the great Japanese music out there just waiting to be discovered. Most of the amazing Japanese bands I know of sing in English too.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Heard last night, for the first time, the NML thing, on Space Pirate Radio ... it was a combination of Sakamoto, Sylvan and Kraftwerk, and apparently for something that Princess Diana was working on ... no more landmines!

It was really fine, and worth the listen, even if it appeared to me on the ambient side of things.

Ryuichi Sakamoto, however, has been for a very long time a favorite of mine, specially including his soundtracks which are magnificent all around, and recently his piano versions of some of the material is ... a huge WOW ... even if I am a bit silly and love the triad of NEO GEO, BEAUTY and HEARTBEAT ... all three of these are just way out there but very neat, and seeing a concert off the tube where they do some of the material from Beauty ... is ... yeah ... no words for it!
Glad you love Ryuichi Sakamoto. He's kinda musical genius with diversity.
Anyway acceptable, mainstream-y soundscape of Yellow Magic Orchestra should be created by Ryuichi, and crazy lines by Haruomi Hosono, I guess. Star
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:31
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm a HUGE fan of Japanese Psychedelic Rock and I hope to post a blog soon to spread the word about all of the great Japanese music out there just waiting to be discovered. Most of the amazing Japanese bands I know of sing in English too.
Thanks Paul.

Around 1970 some Japanese psychedelic vanguards like Flower Travellin Band / Yuya Uchida, Fried Egg, Hiro Yanagida, Food Brain, etc. etc. would like to go ahead for worldwide progressive rock scene, but there are lots of great combos singing in Japanese ... let's listen.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 05:37
Some of the superb early 1970's Japanese psychedelic bands I have in mind are:- Flower Travellin' Band, Flied Egg, Far Out & Far East Family Band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 474849
  Share Topic