Topic ClosedThe Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 191>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 13:00
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

In the light of the release of the new "Noah" movie, it's funny (and sad) to read people online advising others that "Noah is a fiction story, not how the facts truly happened" Wacko
Who says this? I've not taken any notice of the film or the hype that surrounds it. What's happening? Are atheists complaining about christians complaining about jewish people complaining that the 2 hour film isn't an accurate portrayal of the <1,800-word short story from a 600,000-word anthology?

Edited by Dean - April 08 2014 at 13:02
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 13:28
Basically, yes. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 13:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

In the light of the release of the new "Noah" movie, it's funny (and sad) to read people online advising others that "Noah is a fiction story, not how the facts truly happened" Wacko
Who says this? I've not taken any notice of the film or the hype that surrounds it. What's happening? Are atheists complaining about christians complaining about jewish people complaining that the 2 hour film isn't an accurate portrayal of the <1,800-word short story from a 600,000-word anthology?

You'll both appreciate the Fundamentalist view of the movie:

I am surprised he didn't complain about a Jew directing a biblical movie.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 13:52
After reading those wise words by Mr. Creationism, I can't but 100% agree that, if 

"Psychopathic Noah sees humans as a blight on the planet and wants to rid the world of people."

,then Noah was actually one of the best humans of all time

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 14:43
...apart from being a vegan, though I believe he was commanded to give that up on medical grounds in Gen 9:3
What?
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 16:10

Am I the only one that identifies the Bible as being written in cryptic language?  The Bible as well as other holy texts are garbed in metaphors, parables, symbolisms and other obscure writings.

Ying YangMaybe Noah escaped the flood of ignorance that swept the land at the time by his own arc of wisdom.Ying Yang

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 16:21
The animals don't fit in that analysis. 

Two questions: 

One, did Noah also have to get couples of insects? Spiders? Ants? Damn was he industrious. 

Anyway, how many people are supposed to have been in the Arc anyway? Because one thing is certain: they have to have reproduced themselves like rabbits in order to bring us to the sorry overpopulation we have today. They out-reproduced all the dozens of animal couples they brought with them in the Arc. 

But then again, when it rains all day long and you are trapped in a horrendous boat with no wifi or books or anything really, what else did they have to do? 

Edited by The T - April 09 2014 at 16:22
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 16:42
There were pockets of survivors all over the world. Noah and his family could not have populated the world. Giants also survived the flood. Surely Goliath was not Noah's descendant.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Am I the only one that identifies the Bible as being written in cryptic language?  The Bible as well as other holy texts are garbed in metaphors, parables, symbolisms and other obscure writings.

Ying YangMaybe Noah escaped the flood of ignorance that swept the land at the time by his own arc of wisdom.Ying Yang

It's not cryptic, though much of it is allegorical rather than narrative.

Arc and Ark isn't a pun in ancient bronze-age Hebrew and I also doubt that "flood of ignorance" was a bronze-age idiom.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 09:08

If it symbolizes a deeper moral or spiritual meaning (allegorical) wouldn’t that be cryptic in nature?

I never actually contemplated the story of Noah’s Ark and do not know what it’s really about.   I do however recognize that the Bible is cloaked in mystery and is not to be taken verbatim. 

Revelation of St. John is highly metaphoric and is an account of his own journey towards enlightenment; the seven seals representing the seven major chakras of the human body.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 10:06

If it symbolizes a deeper moral or spiritual meaning (allegorical) wouldn’t that be cryptic in nature?

Not really. Allegory in the case of judeo-christian religious texts is symbolic rather than cryptic. Allegory means to speak figuratively, not secretively.

I never actually contemplated the story of Noah’s Ark and do not know what it’s really about.   I do however recognize that the Bible is cloaked in mystery and is not to be taken verbatim. 

Never seen much "mystery", cloaked or otherwise, in the bible. I suspect it was intended to be an anthology of instructional stories, not something mysterious and hidden.

Revelation of St. John is highly metaphoric and is an account of his own journey towards enlightenment; the seven seals representing the seven major chakras of the human body.

That's just baseless speculation. John was a prisoner of the Romans exiled on Patmos when he wrote it, the allegory isn't that deep - it's more likely to be a thinly disguised critique of Roman imperialism and religious oppression than anything. The Greeks, Romans and Israelites considered there to be five elements of nature, not seven chakras.

Edited by Dean - April 10 2014 at 10:06
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 11:19

To me speaking figuratively as in metaphorically or symbolically is cryptic or secretive.  For instance, If only a handful of people out of thousands uncover the true meaning of an obscure poem, is it really cryptic or secretive?  It’s just kicking around semantics.

There are many hidden truths within so called holy texts.  Buddhist monks will read a passage and then meditate on it for weeks, months and sometimes years to extract these hidden meanings.  Too bad other religions do not follow suit.  Maybe their followers would far less pigheaded.

I’m not saying that all my interpretations are accurate but I do see Revelations as St. Johns path to full liberation. Imbedded is an entire yogic science that he expounds upon.  Moving energy through the chakras is much different than talking about the 5 elements.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 11:46

Moving energy through the chakras is much different than talking about the 5 elements.

Exactly (that was my point). A 1st century christian apostle (if the John in question really was John the apostle and not some other John) would not be making cryptic references to a philosophy from a completely different and totally unrelated religion.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 12:05

Moving energy through the chakras is much different than talking about the 5 elements.

Exactly (that was my point). A 1st century christian apostle (if the John in question really was John the apostle and not some other John) would not be making cryptic references to a philosophy from a completely different and totally unrelated religion.

Although not understood by the majority of followers, all religions have the same thread of truth running through them.   If you sat Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Mohamed, Lao Tzu and other enlightened beings around a table there would total agreement and perfect harmony.

Now, if you put their followers together, there would be chaos and bloodshed. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 12:22

Although not understood by the majority of followers, all religions have the same thread of truth running through them.   If you sat Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Mohamed, Lao Tzu and other enlightened beings around a table there would total agreement and perfect harmony.

Again, that's speculation and something that is completely untestable so I guess you can make any claims you like in that regard. I wonder who would be the first to ask Krishna about the whole blue-vibe he has going on...

Now, if you put their followers together, there would be chaos and bloodshed. 

Possibly, possibly not. Unlike some believers and non-believers, I do not hold that every follower of those "enlightened beings" and their respective religions is a potentially violent or malevolent extremist. The vast majority of religious people get along just fine.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 12:55

LOL… maybe Krishna was from Atlantis. 

I don’t think there would be any unanswered question.  Soul realized, fully enlightened beings already know all.  In Hinduism it’s achieving Krishna Consciousness, for Christians it is Christ Consciousness, for Buddhists its Buddha Mind.  

Yes, you are absolutely right not to stereotype any large group of individuals.  For the most part there would be disagreement and some chaos.  For a select few there would even be bloodshed.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2014 at 17:00
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 08:25
Lame quote if taken in isolation; Ricky himself doesn't seem to consider that atheism makes you a more peaceful person. While not wanting to repeat what's been often debated: behind any religion fight there's a quest for more power of whatsoever kind, from getting more respect to pure greed. We're into the "I am right so you're wrong" scheme there, and religion is just a way of life's vehicle like another. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 15:41
There is no evidence that atheism makes you a more peaceful person. Even if such a supportive statistic could be found, it still would not correlate.

Gervais was employing sarcastic irony btw, the only thing he needed to consider was that there are religious groups fighting each other.
What?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2014 at 18:00

There is no evidence that atheism makes you a more peaceful person. Even if such a supportive statistic could be found, it still would not correlate.

Gervais was employing sarcastic irony btw, the only thing he needed to consider was that there are religious groups fighting each other.

Thanks for making sure everything was well understood. Do you also think that this joke is too carefree toned to be highlighted as as important point against religion (as highlighted it seems to me regarding the way it's shown here)?

Nice new link to your homepage, though I wonder why it's not about music you created or helped create.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 191>