Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo The Decemberists have people fooled?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do The Decemberists have people fooled?
    Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:07
Because I was blown away to see that they are actually listed in the archives. Now, I'm not sure what makes a band folk-prog, but I have seen a couple of their live performances, and I saw nothing progressive. I saw a band trying to be progressive, and failing. I remember the performance from the Colbert Report, where they discussed how their music had 18th century influences. Very interesting, I thought, and then discovered those "18th century" influences were based on the song beginning with a keyboard programmed to sound like a harpsicord, and then it turned into a rather mundane rock song, with a poor Janis Joplin impersonater thrown in.

From what I can tell, the only thing progressive about these guys is the lyrical content, which I admit is interesting, but nothing amazing.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:14
I'm a little suprised to see them listed as prog folk too. Crossover or something like that maybe, as some of their songs are proggy (the island, and title track(s) from the crane wife, for example), but for the most part they seem a sort of folk-pop-rock band. but regardless, i love them prog or not Smile
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:15
*resists the urge to say anything*

This will end badly; I can see it now. All I'll say is: listen to their music more carefully, particularly their latest release.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:19
If OP isn't trolling, I'll stop listening to The Decemberists for forever (or assume he hasn't heard The Hazards of Love yet, or maybe even any of their albums).

Also, I don't really care if they're prog or not. I just listen to them because I enjoy their music.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:23
If the Decemberists are prog, then evolution is true.

And we all know evolution is made up by science.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:24
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

I saw a band trying to be progressive, and failing.

We see too much of that these days.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:24
I'm waiting until December to try them...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:33
^ or a military coup

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:35

Well I'm the one who added them, so I may be the biggest fool Tongue

Admittedly their first couple of albums are more like artsy pop-folk with very mild prog influences, particularly on keyboards, and there are valid comparisons to be made to bands like R.E.M. and Let's Active, along with groups like the Baghdaddies and plenty of modern klezmer music on the folksy side.  And there are other bands like Rev. Glasseye and the Handsome Family who pen similar campy and morbidly dark character sketches.  So the various pieces are nothing new individually.  And I will say there was reluctance by some collaborators to add them.

But IMHO 'The Crane Wife' and, more significantly, 'The Tain' and 'The Hazards of Love' have proven Colin Meloy and Company are also serious fans of both folk and prog rock.  At the same time they know how to entertain, and with the last two albums have managed to do so without compromising their music despite being signed by a major label.  Sure, they appeared on Letterman, the Colbert Report, NPR and the like, but who cares really - I grew up in a time when bands could be both popular and progressive, so I don't see a problem there.  

The Decemberists aren't Yes or ELP, but they don't pretend to be either, and those TV appearances don't do justice to their live concerts.  Check out their current tour if you can, or look for clips on youTube at least, and check out their DVD 'A Practical Handbook'.  There's more than a little Peter Gabriel mixed in with the  Michael Stipe and Freddy Mercury showmanship on that thing.

Prog Folk is about as accurate a label as 'world music' when it comes to describing the bands who are listed under that tagon this site.  Most if not all the bands under the Prog Folk heading have three things in common:

- plenty of acoustic and ethnic instrumentation;
- a strong emphasis on lyrics, mostly in the form of story-telling; and
- clear cultural contexts, often based on regional history, mythology, religion or ethnic themes.

We used to have a definition of prog rock on this site that included the description "ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music" (not sure if that's still written anywhere here - I think it may have been changed when Art Rock morphed into Crossover.  Anyway, that fits the Decemberists IMHO, so that's good enough for me Wink

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:36
Not trolling, just an honest opinion.

Maybe you're right, maybe I need to hear a whole album . . . though the chances of that are slim, since what I have seen hasn't impressed me.

And, just to be clear, them being on Letterman, Colbert, and the like are not reasons I would look disfavorably on them. I'm not one of the "popularity equals selling out" people.

I think two things may be the case here: 1. I need to give the band more of a chance, and 2. My understanding of what makes a prog-folk band was lacking.

Though, according to your criteria, couldn't Fleet Foxes be in the prog-folk category, or at least heading in that direction?

Edited by ~Rael~ - June 12 2009 at 23:41
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 23:59
I pretty much agree, they're a folky indie band with certain songs that have characteristics of prog, so maybe crossover would be better for them... I don't know, I might need to listen to them more too.

edit: I'm listening to The Hazards of Love now, I'll say this, they are good at writing hooks, but the vocals are annoying and the pseudo-meaningful lyrics are annoying too... they're like, the Supertramp of indie. :P Supertramp is better though.

Edited by King Crimson776 - June 13 2009 at 00:59
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 00:24
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Though, according to your criteria, couldn't Fleet Foxes be in the prog-folk category, or at least heading in that direction?

Only thing I know of them is from TV, SNL I think.  They were pretty decent if I remember; might be headed in the right direction.  

Maybe if they put out an 18-minute interpretation of an Irish folktale or an album with a little vibraphone or glockenspiel or pedal steel or strings; and maybe a song or two about amateur hookers on merchant ships or ghosts of dead babies or something like that it might push them over the edge Big smile

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 00:48
First off what they played on the Colbert Report was an edited version of one of the most bad-ass, awesome parts from their 50 something minute song which is their latest album. I mean, they weren't always a prog band, and don't stay that way in every song. In fact, it is the fact that they blend so many genres that makes them so progressive. If you are worried about them not being over the top enough, trust me, their live show really is a theatric spectacle, specifically performing Hazards. If you need to be convinced of their progressiveness, The Crane Wife would probably be the best place to start, there are clear influences from bands such as Strawbs, Jethro Tull, and even King Crimson.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 00:50
Oh and the Ice Queen, your so called "poor Janis Joplin impersonator" is not in the band and is  FCensoredING AWESOME
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 01:01
The perfect the perfect the perfect the the perfect perfect the PERFECT THE PERFECT THE PERFECT the perfect CRIME!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 02:06
Once again personal taste is used as the criteria for progressiveness. Using objective criteria both 'The Crane Wife' and 'Hazards of Love' are true progressive rock albums with a strong folk flavour. Their earlier albums are tinged with progressive sensibilities.

Fooled? In the end, what does it matter how music is categorised? I love their music, and if it's because I've been fooled, who cares?
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 02:20
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Oh and the Ice Queen, your so called "poor Janis Joplin impersonator" is not in the band and is  FCensoredING AWESOME

her part in 'The Wanting Comes In Waves' is probably my very favourite part from that album actually Clap
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:00
Well, "the crane wife" definitely had some progressive tendencies, which led many people to believe that the band would become progressively more progressiveLOL. That could not be further from the truth however, as they proved with "the hazards of love", and so we are stuck with YET another artist in here with 3 and a half progressive songs! Hurraaay!
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:05
"Do The Decemberists have people fooled?"

No. Did they have any part in being included here? I don't think so. Several collabs listened to their music and came to the conclusion that they could be included here. I don't really think the band cares whether they're listed here - my guess is that they would not call their music "Prog Folk", and neither would I - but their later albums are surely progressive. I guess that long time fans of Jethro Tull's key albums from the 70s should get used to the idea that not every folk related band has to sound like a JT clone, with a slightly weird flute player (standing on one foot while playing -> extra points).Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:12
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

I guess that long time fans of Jethro Tull's key albums from the 70s should get used to the idea that not every folk related band has to sound like a JT clone, with a slightly weird flute player .

yes,  they do  Stern Smile

Edited by Atavachron - June 13 2009 at 05:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>