Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMisc. Songs from Non-Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misc. Songs from Non-Prog Bands
    Posted: June 19 2009 at 13:53
I'm sure you are aware that there are plenty of non-prog artists out there that do however stretch their barriers into the prog umbrella on a few songs. Some examples of this would be Tommy Emmanuel's orchestral version of Classical Gas, a few epic Nile tunes like User~Maat~Re (Annihilation of the Wicked), Maynard Ferguson's version of Caravan, Morale by Napalm Death (The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code), a crap load of songs by Cephalic Carnage and well, you get the idea. In a nutshell, prog songs by non-prog bands. You all know about them, most of you have heard these little rare gems, but the question is this:

Should we exclude these particular songs from the Archives entirely just because the whole band's material doesn't qualify?

Well personally I don't think we should eradicate these songs from the archives. If we at least mention them to be prog or prog-related, it would solve a lot of the "I think this band should be on PA" disputes that turn out to be negative, and furthermore, help expand a prog listener's horizons.

My suggestion would be to have another player on each sub-genre page with about 50-100 songs that are done by bands that don't belong here but still qualify as progressive or even prog (like the above mentioned). The reason I say there should be one player per sub-genre is to make the whole idea more organised and prevent confusion and lagging on the front page, but also to save creating an entirely different section to PA.

I know my ideas seem a little vague, but that's how I am. What do you all think?

Edited by The Pessimist - June 19 2009 at 13:53
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 17:46
Hypothetically, Im afraid I agree with you.

But I dont think it will happen any time soon. We have a lot of hustle evaluating and debating whether some band is prog or not, and to what degree, and what genre. Imagine heated debates to include one most representative prog song from non prog bands!! Dire Straits, Mercyful Fate, CSNY...
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 20:39
I agree with you on alot of non-prog bands having some proggish tracks, often quite good ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRsh2-JGIcE

(The actual track starts about 40 seconds in - Watch it, I think you'll enjoy it... One of the few intelligent Indie bands out there)

Feel free to ignore the wierd video
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 20:39
(Note: The proggish part starts at about 2:15)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 21:05
I like the idea, but needs some thought in regards to the implementation.

This one would be a no-brainer:

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 21:00
Well I understand the implementation would require a fair bit of thought. But I would be glad to help out, I do feel quite passionate about this possible feature, and from an optimistical perspective, the benefits would be well worth the effort. As for the disputes, I don't think there would be any more than there are for band inclusions at the moment.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
 Post Reply Post Reply