Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > News from Official Prog Suppliers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgQuebec to reissue the Sloche Lps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgQuebec to reissue the Sloche Lps
    Posted: June 20 2009 at 04:09
I wouldn't want to steal their thunder, but I haven't seeen a thread here as they did in some other boards

Says Sean McFee and Stephen Takashy:

Today, ProgQuebec signed a licensing agreement with Sony Music Canada to reissue the two albums by Quebec-based 1970s symphonic fusion artists Sloche. This agreement is the culmination of close to four years of communication with various groups within Sony in an effort to make a legal, high-quality reissue of these essential progressive rock albums a reality. Both albums, 1975's "J'un Oeil" and 1976's "Stadaconé", will be released on September 15th 2009 and will be available at the 2009 edition of the FMPM.

Originally released on the now defunct label RCA, the masters for these two albums have been located in Sony's archives, and the reissues will be remastered from these tapes. This is ProgQuebec's first licensing agreement with Sony, and follows the 2007 licensed reissues of the Morse Code and early Maneige catalogs from EMI.

Sloche is one of the best-loved 1970s groups from Quebec, having created two albums of exceptional quality inspired by symphonic rock, in particular Gentle Giant, and jazz fusion. The line-up that recorded these two albums was virtually a complete turn-over of the original Sloche line-up, driven by a relentless search for superior musicianship by the conservatory-trained keyboardist Rejean Yacola. While their instrumentals can be compared to groups such as Finch or Gentle Giant, the atmospheric vocal passages on the first album also bring to mind other Quebec groups such as Opus 5 or Morse Code.

Sloche has been one of the most hotly requested progressive rock reissues from any part of the world for over a decade, and has been our top priority for a while. For years, the only way to get this album was to find it on vinyl, or buy unauthorized knockoff pirate releases. It will be one of ProgQuebec's proudest moments when properly licensed and high quality editions of these CDs are finally available. And after 30 years, the members of Sloche will finally start getting paid for their work again.

ProgQuebec also hopes this will be the start of a fruitful relationship with Sony Music Canada, who have the rights to a number of excellent projects that have been largely forgotten by the mainstream markets but are beloved to progressive fans. We intend to pursue further collaborations with Sony Music Canada going forward.

Thank you to everyone who has waited patiently and held off on buying bootleg versions while we pursued this through the proper channels. It has taken a long time to get to this point and we are very excited about it.

Regards,
Sean

AWESOME NEWSHug

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
smcfee View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 14:39
I only just got here, but I don't mind you posting this at all. Thanks!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 15:16
Fantastic news and congratulations Sean.
I'll buy it as soon as it's available.

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 18:33
bravo ! from one of the lucky ones to encounter some dozen plus RPQ LPs these past two years.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2009 at 17:39
Hell yeaaaah! ShockedBig smile
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member