Topic ClosedKiss: The Elder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiss: The Elder
    Posted: June 24 2009 at 14:51
I got a chance to listen to this album while driving on vacation last week, after maybe only hearing it once many years ago.

Sure, seems like a long shot to call Kiss prog-related, but this album is definitely there! I find it very interesting that what is most likely Kiss' most ambitious musical achievement will probably be forever derided by Kiss fans as a travesty. But there are some really, surprisingly good moments on here! Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons' vocal performances are particularly noteworthy, and even Ace Frehley appears to chellenge himself with some very unconventional riffs.

Reading the liner notes, it looks like Bob Ezrin persuaded the band to write a concept album, perhaps because of his success with Pink Floyd's The Wall just a few years earlier. It was 1981, and the 80's still hadn't taken shape quite yet...It's interesting to wonder what Kiss would be like today hadthat album taken off like gangbusters...

A very interesting album for anyone with a taste for the 70's rock aspect of prog rock...maybe not something you will always crave, but an interesting aside in the history of prog nonetheless...
luger7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 15:28
I listen a lot to Kiss, but  not just that album . I  listened to it  once many time ago, and I remembered it was soooo boring, but hey I am a grown-up man now, so I 'll follow your advice and I'll give it a chance....Wink

Edited by luger7 - June 25 2009 at 15:29
Viva .MX cabrones!
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 15:36
It might be harder to listen to from the perspective of a Kiss fan. If you go into it with the thought in mind that this album was Kiss's way of trying to expand their musical horizons, but is entirely unlike any other Kiss album, then you might enjoy it from the perspective of a prog fan...It almost has the air of something like "Rocky Horror" in its theatricality...
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 21:30
It's an interesting album for sure. And there are some great songs, too. But some are pretty ... hard to describe.
But concept albums in & of themselves don't make for an automatic prog quality.
One thing though, it is a good album that would be of interest to some prog fans.
Now if only someone could clarify if Ace actually co-wrote Escape from the Island or just got credit for publishing purposes. The solo was played by Paul Stanley , if I remember correctly. which would be strange for a song that Ace wrote.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 00:04
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

It's an interesting album for sure. And there are some great songs, too. But some are pretty ... hard to describe.
But concept albums in & of themselves don't make for an automatic prog quality.
One thing though, it is a good album that would be of interest to some prog fans.
Now if only someone could clarify if Ace actually co-wrote Escape from the Island or just got credit for publishing purposes. The solo was played by Paul Stanley , if I remember correctly. which would be strange for a song that Ace wrote.

LOL, I love the quote : "some are pretty...hard to describe". LOL  I know exactly what you mean, and very tastefully put! In a way, the album reminds me of Mr. Roboto (Styx), in that, at times, it seems like something that's targeted towards a much younger audience (as in 4-9 years old). But then you get these moments, like the orchestral overture and opening track, Oath, and World Without Heroes, that are really surprising, in a good way.

Certainly not challenging next to any prog band, but next to Kiss Alive and Lick it Up, it might as well be Larks Tongus in Aspic. Smile

Edited by jplanet - June 27 2009 at 00:04
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 15:26
My fave song in this album is ,...Just a boy

And the oath

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7VDsxFCo2o
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 16:46
I've always been a Kiss fan, they just have an essence about them that attracts me, The Elder is by far their most underrated! A World Without Heroes is nice as well as Ace Frehleys excellent track, Dark Light. Kiss has never been a band that attracted prog-rock crowds but this is definately an art rock album.
 Post Reply Post Reply