Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolder Theory's Debut Release Coming Soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solder Theory's Debut Release Coming Soon!
    Posted: November 02 2010 at 03:11
Haha. Well, thank you very much. I hope you'll remember the links and/or stay in touch with me so you'll be among the first to know when the album releases.
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 12:12
^ No myspace or facebook, I’m afraid. But I will defintely check your updates, and I can easily see myself as one who will buy your CD when it’s finished. And that’s no lie, not even a white one. Smile
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 12:45
Originally posted by refugee refugee wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ironically, joining the Epignosis street team has the same requirements.  Providing Rob with free music and beer.

I didn’t see this comment until now. It made my day! LOL

JLocke, my first impression after listening to a few samples:

Soundscapes reminding me of Hammill (especially Embers). Ambiguous tonality. Drums often used more like percussion than drums (ie not keeping the beat but stressing other rhytmic aspects). Acoustic guitars, once again reminding me of Hammill (The Silent Corner, The Quiet Zone, Clutch). "Non-melodious" melodies, probably more satisfying after a few listens. Slightly jazzy guitar in Power of … which also has some King Crimson-feel to it (Red). You play well without showing off.

Highly interesting. More that that: Very, very nice! The only thing I miss is more vocals, but maybe the samples I heard are not representative? I will check your other samples. Good luck, and keep up the good work! And — keep us posted!

(Btw, I always read "Soldier Theory" Embarrassed)

Wow. Thanks! Embarrassed And don't worry about the name issue-- everybody does it. LOL

Yeah, I haven't posted too many samples featuring vocals yet. The guy who sings for me (I ain't no vocalist) still has a few more songs to record, then I should have more lead vocals to share with folks. 

I'll definitely keep you posted. If you have a myspace of facebook, I encourage you to befriend the band's pages on those sites. Gives me more total 'fans' and helps me keep track of how many people I have interested in the project. Wink
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2010 at 09:04
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Ironically, joining the Epignosis street team has the same requirements.  Providing Rob with free music and beer.

I didn’t see this comment until now. It made my day! LOL

JLocke, my first impression after listening to a few samples:

Soundscapes reminding me of Hammill (especially Embers). Ambiguous tonality. Drums often used more like percussion than drums (ie not keeping the beat but stressing other rhytmic aspects). Acoustic guitars, once again reminding me of Hammill (The Silent Corner, The Quiet Zone, Clutch). "Non-melodious" melodies, probably more satisfying after a few listens. Slightly jazzy guitar in Power of … which also has some King Crimson-feel to it (Red). You play well without showing off.

Highly interesting. More that that: Very, very nice! The only thing I miss is more vocals, but maybe the samples I heard are not representative? I will check your other samples. Good luck, and keep up the good work! And — keep us posted!

(Btw, I always read "Soldier Theory" Embarrassed)
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 21:41
If anybody is interested, I just thought I would upload a shot or two of my home studio so you can see where a lot of the music is being written and recorded. Tongue

It's not much, but it's home. LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 20:05
I'm planning on putting this on a physical CD at some point, but perhaps not right away. I'll let you know when the album is available in download form, then you can either pay full price initially and I'll send you a CD free later on, or you can just wait until the physical albums become available. Either way, you'll still have the opportunity to hear it when it's new, and you won't have to pay for it twice. Wink

Sorry the physical copies won't be available initially, but I'm having to put money towards getting them made, as well as paying some of the guest musicians for their contributions to the album. So money will be tight for me a little while after this. Embarrassed There's definitely going to be a CD made, though. I'm working on the internal artwork and liner notes for it even now. 
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 19:18
Will there be a CD release? If so, when/how will I be able to order it?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Does anybody want to ask questions regarding the album? Feel free to post them here. Smile

Wait, I'm on this album?

Cool!  Cool
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:47
Originally posted by progbandvocalist progbandvocalist wrote:

Good to hear,  we are also back in the saddle.  New Keyboardist (friend of Patrick Moraz ~!) has brought some new life into this project and we now have two excellent bassists auditioning for the spot.  Both very good musicians and singers and both able to travel some .. so this is a difficult choice.
  Good to be moving forward again. 

I am not as confident as I was last year because of all the troubles keeping this thing moving but keep a watch out for a band called Downing Grey. I can gaurantee it wil be a very good show to see, if for the diversity of the set lists alone.

R

Well, keep in touch and let me know how the music comes along! Likewise, I hope you'll check in with my stuff now and again, as well. Smile
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:45
Alright, so time for some more updates.

Right now, the primary people involved with this album is Robert and myself. Robert is doing the bulk of the recording at the moment, while I'm busy writing guitar parts and lyrics. The other musicians involved have come and gone over the album;s production, so the line-up you're going to hear on the final product isn't as consistent as I had anticipated. However, I think the diverse selection of players will hopefully carry over into the music and make it something eclectic and fun. We're hoping to get the album done sooner than later, but I won't give a specific release date yet because I want to make sure I've done everything I can for the record before it's made available. 

Anyway, I talked it over with Robert, and I guess I'll go ahead and give a temporary track listing for the album so you guys can get an idea of how long the album will be and how many tracks will be on it. The names and order are still subject to change, but for now, here is the tentative track list for White Lies:

1. Hello [intro]

2. Power Of...

3. What I Am

4. Embers [interlude] 

5. untitled

6. False Smile 

7. Merge [interlude] 

8. Somewhere Inside 

9. untitled

10. Build 

Songs 6 and 9 are the most unfinished (Robert hasn't even seen what I've written for track 6, yet. Although all the lyrics are finished), and the rest are halfway done or more. The intro and interludes are ambience pieces composed and performed by myself, and are already completed. Rough clips are available of the second and third tracks on the project's myspace page, and complete versions of tracks 4 and 8 can also be found there. ''Somewhere Inside'' was the first song completed for the album, and has by far the worst production of all the tracks. The rest will sound much better. 

We're expecting the album to run just over forty minutes, though that isn't set in stone, yet, either. The album is turning out to be a mixture of genres, though I won't go too much into detail yet regarding what all that involves. Just know that we're still working on it, and hopefully the end result will be something people enjoy. Does anybody want to ask questions regarding the album? Feel free to post them here. Smile

The myspace page where you can hear the clips:

http://www.myspace.com/soldertheory/ 

-Micah

Edited by JLocke - October 08 2010 at 22:58
progbandvocalist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:43
Good to hear,  we are also back in the saddle.  New Keyboardist (friend of Patrick Moraz ~!) has brought some new life into this project and we now have two excellent bassists auditioning for the spot.  Both very good musicians and singers and both able to travel some .. so this is a difficult choice.
  Good to be moving forward again. 

I am not as confident as I was last year because of all the troubles keeping this thing moving but keep a watch out for a band called Downing Grey. I can gaurantee it wil be a very good show to see, if for the diversity of the set lists alone.

R
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 18:13
^ Thanks anyway, but three of us working on the project already sing, and only one of us is primarily taking on those duties. Wink
progbandvocalist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2010 at 09:32
Hey hit me up,  I am now in a perpetual holding pattern while our guitarist and drummer wait until I find akeyboardsit who can actually play the classic Yes, Genesis, ELP, UK, Focus,Gentle Giant, PInk Floyd, Zeppelin Rush and TUll we have been desperatly trying to do.  SO far this has been a frustrating journey into a sad state of musicians in the upstate NY area.  The three of us still at the core of this project are considering looking for new homes in various tribute bands just to get some work.  So I have nothing going right now and while I can still sing it would be nice to coolaborate on something with actual  musicians.
  Thanks
  Randy
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 15:39
^ I didn't even realize you had been checking in on this thread, Rob. LOL

Just a quick update, here. The album is about 75% done on the whole, I would say. Things have been moving pretty slowly for the past few months, but Robert has kindly offered to step in and help flesh out the remaining tracks. I thank you very much for that, Robert! 

The stuff we have laid down so far is sounding really good, in my opinion, and I'm hoping you guys will feel the same way about it once the whole thing is done and ready to listen to. Again, I thank everybody who has participated in this effort over the past year, whether you are currently involved or not. You have all helped bring the album to where it is now, and I hope the end result will make you proud to have been a part of it. I'm trying to deliver something worthwhile, despite the limitations. Smile

Here's to the final stretch going as smoothly as possible, and having the album out by year's end. Fingers crossed. As always, if you want to hear some samples on what we're working on, visit the myspace page. New clips are being added and updated as often as possible. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2010 at 16:53
Any updates?  Big smile
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 01:26
A new work-in-progress clip from one of the songs off the album is now available to download and review here:

(EDIT: Link no longer works, and the song has evolved considerably since then.)

Please feel free to post your opinions on what you've heard so far, and if any of you sound guys have any pointers or advice for mixing, it is most welcome. 

Edited by JLocke - October 08 2010 at 18:11
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 14:07
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I actually feel bad, because I haven't had enough material available all at once for him to work with, so I've had to wait long periods of time, then collaborate with him sort of in 'stints'. Unhappy

Not to mention his Cello parts got mixed down a lot in the mix for ''Somewhere Inside''. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't wish to continue . . . .

I just hope that he does.

Last time I talked to him about it, he was pretty enthusiastic about the recordings; so I'm sure he'll be more than happy to continue the collaboration.

He gets extremely busy during the school year, that's one thing; and he may have switched his email, I'm not sure. I'll let you know as soon as I get something.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 14:05
I actually feel bad, because I haven't had enough material available all at once for him to work with, so I've had to wait long periods of time, then collaborate with him sort of in 'stints'. Unhappy

Not to mention his Cello parts got mixed down a lot in the mix for ''Somewhere Inside''. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't wish to continue . . . .

I just hope that he does.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 14:04
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Robert's next album should be a concept album about unusual encounters with hookers.

Hey! You! I'm about to go searching for a replacement for your friend Danny unless his ass lets me know whether or not he's even still interested! LOL

I just contacted him through Facebook today; I made sure to mention that you've tried emailing him.

Edited by MovingPictures07 - November 18 2009 at 14:04
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 13:50
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Robert's next album should be a concept album about unusual encounters with hookers.

Hey! You! I'm about to go searching for a replacement for your friend Danny unless his ass lets me know whether or not he's even still interested! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>