Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson in Guitar Hero 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 19:19
Heck, I might just think about getting GH just for this.  Or use my friends.  With as many covers that are on YouTube of 21c.SM, its not too surprising.  It will be good for the wallets.  Besides.  If you have listened to the song recently you might come to think that it is remarkably relevant after 40 years.  And, especially for those tween, teen, and Tool-age people, it might open their eyes (Dream Theater is "slightly" more accessible than most Crimson...)
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 20:11
Originally posted by TealFoxes TealFoxes wrote:

I'd say the Guitar Hero franchise is one of the most pathetic and disgusting excuses for entertainment in today's gen. Playing that song in a desire to gain points on a video game is not how anyone should listen to prog; or appreciate such beautiful art for that matter.

WHY ARE YOU HAVING FUN???? IT'S LIKE PEEING ON THE MONA LISA!!!!!

Edited by Henry Plainview - July 08 2009 at 20:20
if you own a sodastream i hate you
PhuncleSam View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 18:48
I have mixed feelings about guitar hero, its a pretty fun game. When I heard Dream Theater would be on gh4, I was pretty happy, even if their song would be pull me under, which isn't exactly a favorite of mine. I was a bit worried they would end up like Dragonforce, with all the wanna-be guitar players going on about how Herman Lee is the best guitar player ever to walk the earth, even though these same people only own one or two of the band's songs. Even though this probably won't happen to kc, it's still something I can't help but think about.
Interviewer: "So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?"
FZ: "You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?"

Viajero Astral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 19:46
Originally posted by KingCrimson250 KingCrimson250 wrote:

Originally posted by Ukeyful Ukeyful wrote:

Kansas - "Carry On Wayward Son"
Dream Theatre - "Panic Attack"
Rush - "The Trees"
Rush - "YYZ"
Tool - "Vicarious"
Tool - "Schism"
Tool - "Parabola"

sorry, sent last post early  Geek

And don't forget they had Dream Theater's Pull Me Under. I think they had a couple of other decent prog tunes but I'm having trouble remembering now.

there's also Aqualung in Rock Band too.
Viajero Astral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 09:10
King Crimson: 21st Century Shizoid Man - Drums Level Expert:

King Crimson: 21st Century Shizoid Man - Guitar Level Expert:

The Coastliner View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 16:13
Syncs up nicely with the ITCOTCK remaster.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 01:36
I'm really not surprised that KC is on Guitar Hero. I mean, Tool have about the same attitudes with their music distribution. When they got on GHWT I was frankly really surprised. Now that they've gotten in, I figure there must be something really appealing with the game contract.

In any event, now that I've been trying to get my friends into King Crimson for the past 2 years they'll finally listen to that one song...

SonicDeath10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 17:40
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/127947

That's all I'm gonna say about the game.LOL
That episode was terrible.

Are you surprised? South Park has been on a vast downhill fall for years.
"Good evening hippies." Bobby Boy
SonicDeath10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 17:42

I'd say the Guitar Hero franchise is one of the most pathetic and disgusting excuses for entertainment in today's gen. Playing that song in a desire to gain points on a video game is not how anyone should listen to prog; or appreciate such beautiful art for that matter.
  Oh relax: it's just good fun. Why have this ultra elitist approach to music and art? Why is there a specific way to appreciate art? Do I have to sit with the lights off, candles lit, meditating while listening to Thrakattack? Why can't I be listening to Thrakattack while I play a video game or hang out with friends. Art is beautiful, you are right. But any way that it can be appreciated by more people should be embraced not shunned. Guitar Hero will introduce a whole new generation to King Crimson. Who cares if they only like the one song? If you have a kid who comes up to you saying he likes King Crimson but only knows one song, show him more. Try to show him more great art. Don't sit in your ivory tower and sulk like Captain Ahab or something.
"Good evening hippies." Bobby Boy
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 20:26
Originally posted by SonicDeath10 SonicDeath10 wrote:

Oh relax: it's just good fun. Why have this ultra elitist approach to music and art? Why is there a specific way to appreciate art? Do I have to sit with the lights off, candles lit, meditating while listening to Thrakattack? Why can't I be listening to Thrakattack while I play a video game or hang out with friends. Art is beautiful, you are right. But any way that it can be appreciated by more people should be embraced not shunned. Guitar Hero will introduce a whole new generation to King Crimson. Who cares if they only like the one song? If you have a kid who comes up to you saying he likes King Crimson but only knows one song, show him more. Try to show him more great art. Don't sit in your ivory tower and sulk like Captain Ahab or something.

Clap Thank you. I completely agree with what you say. The biggest problem with any form of art is that attitude of superiority and elitism that can be devolped and spouted, appreciating art in any form is better than ignoring it.

" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123