Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 02:16
A new song by Battles is featured on the Twlight Eclipse soundtrack. ...No, me neither. Anyway, here it is:

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 02:29
Am I allowed to accuse them of selling out now? And when are you going to update the damn NWW blog, it's been 2 months!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 02:47
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Am I allowed to accuse them of selling out now? And when are you going to update the damn NWW blog, it's been 2 months!

Yeah, probably.

As for the NWW blog, a combination of factors are keeping me from updating that atm. Firstly I'm having to devote a lot of time and energy to jobhunting right now. If I don't find work in the next few weeks then me and the missus might not have a roof over our heads. Secondly, I've been devoting lots of my free time to a collection of short fiction I've been promising to put out for months now. Thirdly, my cacky laptop finally gave up the ghost last month and I lost several pages of drafts and notes which were on the verge of materialising as posts. I did warn people that updates would be sporadic. My life is sporadic. Everything happens to me in fits and starts.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 02:54
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Yeah, probably.

As for the NWW blog, a combination of factors are keeping me from updating that atm. Firstly I'm having to devote a lot of time and energy to jobhunting right now. If I don't find work in the next few weeks then me and the missus might not have a roof over our heads. Secondly, I've been devoting lots of my free time to a collection of short fiction I've been promising to put out for months now. Thirdly, my cacky laptop finally gave up the ghost last month and I lost several pages of drafts and notes which were on the verge of materialising as posts. I did warn people that updates would be sporadic. My life is sporadic. Everything happens to me in fits and starts.

Well, good luck then! I look forward to new posts whenever they are. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 02:59
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Yeah, probably.

Well, good luck then! I look forward to new posts whenever they are. Thumbs Up

Thanks. I'll be sure to spam the relevant threads when the gears are back in motion.
berger_king View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 04:48
I thought Mirrored was OK, certainly energetic but definitely can get annoying and is repetitive as hell. And that guy whoever he is has the worst voice since Bob Dylan.

Edited by berger_king - July 30 2010 at 04:48
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 06:24

A new song by Battles is featured on the Twlight Eclipse soundtrack. ...No, me neither. Anyway, here it is:

Excellent, thanks Thumbs Up
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 06:35
I agree fully with you on these guys, trouserpress. I also was completely blown away when listening to Mirrored. Probably the best to come out of the progressive scene for the last two decades.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 05:57
From the Warp news page:

"Battles and Tyondai would like to let their fans know they have chosen to follow their own musical paths.

Due to Battles' ambitions of finishing their second studio album followed by commitments to a full touring schedule in 2011, and Tyondai's own commitments as a solo artist and his desire not to tour, both Battles and Tyondai have decided to move on without each other.

It is a sad but amicable split.

Battles wishes Tyondai all the best"

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 05:59
Aww Disapprove
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 16:34
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Battles appears to be far more accessible to non-math rock fans, than those in the main body of the genre. Which suggests they are doing some right to have this appeal. Also remember the UK label Warp, Battles are signed to, is very much into experimental electronica, e.g. Add N to [X], so why should we expect "pure" math rock? BTW check out the DVD of 'Tonto' on the largest TV screen you can find - saw it on a 52" screen Christmas 2007 and it is impressive. BTW it isn't just Top Gear that sample the album for incidental music. I'm very much looking forward to the follow up album.

That's very true. Whenever I had to explain math rock to people in my college dorm it would go something like:

"What's math rock?"

"It's really technical, um, it doesn't really have anything to do with math, it's called that because of how precisely the music is played..."

"..."

"Like, do you know Battles?"

"Oh, well YEAH, OF COURSE I know Battles. THAT'S math rock?!"

But yeah, Mirrored is without question one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 13:50
I've also heard Tyondai Braxton's debut album.  I don't think it was quite as good as Mirrored.  I hope his future releases are of a great quality though.

It's sad to hear about their split but in many ways, it may mean Tyondai creates some fantastic solo records.

Am I correct in my presumptions that Battles are continuing, just without Tyondai?  I may have misread that message.

Edited by James - August 08 2010 at 13:51
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 13:57
I have been interested in trying these guys out for awhile now, but for some reason never got around to pick up Mirrored. 

Now that they agreed to put a song on a tween girls' movie soundtrack, I'm not so sure they're for me . . . how interesting can their music be if some lonely, confused 15-year-old wants it in her favorite movie?
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 14:17

Battle are a great band, the guitarist was from Don Caballero and the drummer came from the band Tomohawk & etc. Great musicians, Mirroed is a great album, i purchased it when it came about three years ago. Still listen to this album from time to time

Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 14:21
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I have been interested in trying these guys out for awhile now, but for some reason never got around to pick up Mirrored. 

Now that they agreed to put a song on a tween girls' movie soundtrack, I'm not so sure they're for me . . . how interesting can their music be if some lonely, confused 15-year-old wants it in her favorite movie?

Just click play to the video above and you'll find out. LOL It's that simple. Tongue
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 14:31
^ Yeah, yeah. I will in a minute. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 15:31

That's a rather poisonous way for a progressive music fan to think, I believe. How many times have you, when trying to explain the appeal of a prog band to someone, been swished away with "I dunno, isn't that stuff only for nerds?"

I feel like as fans of prog, one of the most overlooked/scorned genres of music in America, it would be hypocritical to not try things that may be outside one's wheelhouse. That's how it works in my book, anyway.   
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 15:38
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

That's a rather poisonous way for a progressive music fan to think, I believe. How many times have you, when trying to explain the appeal of a prog band to someone, been swished away with "I dunno, isn't that stuff only for nerds?"

I feel like as fans of prog, one of the most overlooked/scorned genres of music in America, it would be hypocritical to not try things that may be outside one's wheelhouse. That's how it works in my book, anyway.   

Once you spend more time here, I think you'll get better at figuring out that I kid around. A lot. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 16:52

Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Once you spend more time here, I think you'll get better at figuring out that I kid around. A lot. Wink

Oh dang! Egg on da faise!
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 17:21
^ Don't worry, tons of people here don't seem to know when I'm joking. It's most likely my fault for not giving a hint or two. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>