29 [49.15%]
2 [3.39%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 21:27
I felt the rains down in Africa 

with "Africa" 80s one-hit wonder Toto beats out Dream Theater's full musical catalog

Edited by manofmystery - July 08 2009 at 21:29

Time always wins.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 21:37
LOL

This poll brightened my day. Smile
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 23:05
Perhaps de songs of DT are longer and complex etc ,but I enjoy more Toto s music
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 02:19
I donīt like TOTO appart from three or four brilliant songs. And I also like AOR very much. For me the best band in this genre is FOREIGNER, no doubt.

Answering to the question: DT, of course.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 06:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Are you familiar with Toto's soundtrack for Dune?  Perhaps you'd like this:

Thats not bad I suppose. Toto is just not me I suppose.
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 14:21
Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

I donīt like TOTO appart from three or four brilliant songs. And I also like AOR very much. For me the best band in this genre is FOREIGNER, no doubt.

AOR THE BESTs that I remember

Asia
Boston
Triumph
Journey
Heart

Styx
Toto
Foreigner
Loverboy
Giuffria

Def Leppard
Bad English
Survivor
Cannata
Eagles..aor southern
Talisman
Giant
House of Lords
Place Vendome
Bon Jovi
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2009 at 20:18
My favourite AOR bands are Toto and Styx. I like Journey and Foreigner too but I still have to get more into them, never heard a complete album by them.
I didn't know Def Leppard and Bon Jovi were considered AOR bands, to me they're just hard rock / pop rock bands. I like them both too, especially Def Leppard. Not a big fan of Bon Jovi's last few albums.

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2009 at 09:24
I donīt know, this poll is like you compare salty foods with desserts, i like them both but are just different.

Edited by mirco - July 13 2009 at 08:14
Please forgive me for my crappy english!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 16:16
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

AOR THE BESTs that I remember

Asia
Boston
Triumph
Journey
Heart

Styx
Toto
Foreigner
Loverboy
Giuffria

Def Leppard
Bad English
Survivor
Cannata
Eagles..aor southern
Talisman
Giant
House of Lords
Place Vendome
Bon Jovi

The bands I have marked with a strike through the name of the band donīt like me very much, or they are not aor...Triumph and BJ are hard rock bands (well, I donīt know what the hell are Biongiovi friends now), Triumph maybe melodic in any album as Thunderseven, etc...but they were a Hard Rock trio combo in essence.
Eagles=Aor Southern? Well,hehehe. A very imaginative definition.LOLWinkThey marked very much their songs with armonies and vocal melodies, but they never did aor. In my oppinion.

The rest of the bands I like, and I have albums of near all of them, except of Cannata. I dīnīt know who are they.

Iīd like to add many important bands in the Aor, but years have showed me that the most you look for new albums from new bands, many interesting bands you find. Inside aor style, there are many hidden things, and excellent, I must say.

Iīll write some of the most known bands:

LeROUX (So Fired Up is an aor jewel)
H.E.A.T. - Melodic hard aor. Excellent new sweden band with a marvellous album, edited last year.
PREVIEW
ALIAS
HURRICANE
ALIEN
AVIATOR
STRANGEWAYS
AUTOGRAPH
KHYMERA
THE STORM (with Bad English members) 
DOUBLE ECLIPSE

AOR is an excellent style to swim over it.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2009 at 19:33
in  my   mind Toto is the gratest band ever, they have concourd bouth playing in studio and live preformances they play evry geners without pouring a sweat, there song execution is flawles, they are musicans who dont see themselvs as rockstars, they are regular guys hwo were lucky enough to play on evry big stadiums in the world, they can litarly play evry other bands round in circles in live-settings, Toto is a  band i have raely payd lot of atention too, i have read anything i can find on the internett about Toto, read all Interviews from all members

i have all studio-albums exept Thru the Looking Glass and Dune, my favorite is Isolation, The Seventh One, Mindfilds, the Debut and Falling in Between.

My experiance after I have dived tru all the ups n downs by this band i come to the conclusjon, they are a very facinating band with a grate story. they have experianced evrything ass a band, shifting bandmembers, loosing there Key-member, trouble with there record-label, dealing with harsh musiccritics, getting gramy award, now in october they will get awarded with an Musicans Hall of Fame recognition. Toto have experiaced, all Spinal Tap events, there music is used in High-schools exams for testing students abilatis.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

in  my   mind Toto is the gratest band ever, they have concourd bouth playing in studio and live preformances they play evry geners without pouring a sweat, there song execution is flawles, they are musicans who dont see themselvs as rockstars, they are regular guys hwo were lucky enough to play on evry big stadiums in the world, they can litarly play evry other bands round in circles in live-settings, Toto is a  band i have raely payd lot of atention too, i have read anything i can find on the internett about Toto, read all Interviews from all members

i have all studio-albums exept Thru the Looking Glass and Dune, my favorite is Isolation, The Seventh One, Mindfilds, the Debut and Falling in Between.

My experiance after I have dived tru all the ups n downs by this band i come to the conclusjon, they are a very facinating band with a grate story. they have experianced evrything ass a band, shifting bandmembers, loosing there Key-member, trouble with there record-label, dealing with harsh musiccritics, getting gramy award, now in october they will get awarded with an Musicans Hall of Fame recognition. Toto have experiaced, all Spinal Tap events, there music is used in High-schools exams for testing students abilatis.

I forgot mention a good album of TOTO: Isolation, with Fergie Frederiksen at voices, who made a huge work with Le Roux a couple of years before. I forgot this, and began listen to it yesterday, after much time ago. A good album, I prefered it more than IV.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 11:00
I'd go with Toto. Starting listening to them in grade school. And, they had one of the best (of not THE best) drummers of all time. R.I.P., Jeff.

Agree. Isolation is a fine disc. Surprised Fergie left so soon, but thought Fahrenheit was an even better album. That one is still one of my favorites.

I've recently picked up the 90's Kingdom Of Desire and Tambu. Both extremely good--with the former being a bit more raw than anything before or since. Good stuff, though.

E
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2009 at 11:35
I think it's a bit suspect that Toto goes ahead in this poll. But of the comments I haven't read any pro DT comment so I guess their fans aren't interested in this section of the forum. I prefer DT but I'm not going to vote because this is the General Music Discussions section  Stern Smile.

Toto is a nice band but I know only three great songs by them (Girl Goodbye, White Sister and 99) and on the first two it was just because of the great solos by Lukather. Pamela and Rosanna are nice songs.
I'm not into AOR for the last 20 years or so but I have to admit I loved the genre in the eighties. Toto and Foreigner were two of my great loves then. But there wasn't too much prog around then if I remember well ....Ermm
A day without prog is a wasted day
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 15:29

H.E.A.T. - Melodic hard aor. Excellent new sweden band with a marvellous album, edited last year.
PREVIEW
ALIAS
HURRICANE
ALIEN
AVIATOR
STRANGEWAYS
AUTOGRAPH
KHYMERA
DOUBLE ECLIPSE

Thanks for the recommendations. You really should dig TOTO if you like AOR : albums 'fahrenheit' (with Joseph WIlliams on vocals, son of the composer John Williams) and 'isolation' are prime examples of their straight AOR phase. Others are more varied.
Other recommendations :

BOBBY KIMBALL's first solo album (vocalist for TOTO)
BOULEVARD, the album 'into the street is a must-have for any AOR fan. 
DAVID ROBERTS 'all dressed up' (with Jeff Porcaro and Steve Lukather of course)

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 22:01
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

PREVIEW
ALIAS
HURRICANE
ALIEN
AVIATOR
STRANGEWAYS
AUTOGRAPH
KHYMERA
DOUBLE ECLIPSE

Thanks for the recommendations. You really should dig TOTO if you like AOR : albums 'fahrenheit' (with Joseph WIlliams on vocals, son of the composer John Williams) and 'isolation' are prime examples of their straight AOR phase. Others are more varied.
Other recommendations :

BOBBY KIMBALL's first solo album (vocalist for TOTO)
BOULEVARD, the album 'into the street is a must-have for any AOR fan. 
DAVID ROBERTS 'all dressed up' (with Jeff Porcaro and Steve Lukather of course) 

Thanks to you. I do not recommend anything, just wrote some of the albums I remembered at that point of the night. Sure those are not the best, but good albums I love. An advice: they all belong to Hard Aor or Hard Melodic style. I like it more...

If you love soft aor there is a very good album called "Taking A Cold Look", by I-TEN and itīs supreme. Reedited now by Rock Candy.

I was listening 2 days ago Totoīs Isolation, because I like Frederiksenīs voice. A good one, I think I will listen the other one youīve mentioned, Farenheit, and Boulevard too. Thanks. 

Now Iīm listening to Balance-In  For The Count(1982). A good album too. 

BLITZKRIEG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 15:29
lol what a weird poll.

anyways, I love both bands. Toto are underrated IMO. they have some good rock songs, and their last album, Falling in Between is brilliant. Steve Lukather is a music genius.

Better Worlds by Toto is one of my top prog songs.
The Sleepwalker View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2009 at 16:05
Great poll!
I actually don't like both (I don't know much from Toto though). But I've tried to get into Dream Theater thousands of times, with no results. So, now I realize I really disgust Dream theater, so my vote goes to Toto. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2009 at 16:18
Originally posted by floydispink floydispink wrote:

Great poll!
I actually don't like both (I don't know much from Toto though). But I've tried to get into Dream Theater thousands of times, with no results. So, now I realize I really disgust Dream theater, so my vote goes to Toto. 

I see you like Pink Floyd as if I`m reading yore username correct i think you will find atleast the Toto album Tambu to sute yore taste, actualy are all Toto albums pre Jeffs death Cry (Kingfom of Desire, Tambu, Mindfields and Falling in Between)  quite Pink Floydish espesially the long ballads. the earliest records off Toto are more in the veine of Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Fleetowood Mac and more jazz/blues/funk/soul/rock/pop/prog Stern Smile area  while leter they become more Hard Rock/Fusion(jazz)/Blues/Neo-prog  Stern Smile Big smile like band.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 13:03
I don't know which one I wote for Confused
Tursake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 13:08
Greatest thread ever! Toto is one of the best bands ever and I'm glad to find prog heads who enjoy them too Big smile Don't like DT nearly as much as Toto although it's a good band too, so I think I'll go with Toto

Ps. My avatar is a pic from the Toto concert I went to about a month ago! Approve

Edited by Tursake - August 11 2010 at 13:15

Last.fm: TursakeX
RYM: Tursake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>