FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShed 2 (The Gazebo)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 151>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 11:00
^^ just don't take any cough sweets which require unwrapping... Tongue
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 11:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Embarrassed we all dressed like that in middle England in the 60s. 

unlike those of us who grew up in the 70's, afflicted with floral shirts and dungarees... Pinch
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 11:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'll have to cough during the applause

When we saw Bill Bailey a few years ago it was during the usual everyone in England has a cold part of the year & the theatre sounded like a Victorian TB ward.

BB came on, looked worried then walked to the back of the stage & told everyone to stop being so bloody infectious

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 13:05
when I took Lady Fandango to see one of her favourite bands at the Brum O2 Academy back in November, a rather unfortunate incident happened to the poor bassist. Mid-set, unprotected parts of his anatomy became entangled with the activities of the special effects department...

... needless to say, he came out of the ordeal second best. warning, this link isn't for the faint hearted:

enormous credit to him however; no doubt in excruciating pain, he played on like a trooper with a 'show must go on' attitude before being carted off to the QE for some erm... quantitative easing...

Pinch
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 04:57
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

when I took Lady Fandango to see one of her favourite bands at the Brum O2 Academy back in November, a rather unfortunate incident happened to the poor bassist. Mid-set, unprotected parts of his anatomy became entangled with the activities of the special effects department...

... needless to say, he came out of the ordeal second best. warning, this link isn't for the faint hearted:

enormous credit to him however; no doubt in excruciating pain, he played on like a trooper with a 'show must go on' attitude before being carted off to the QE for some erm... quantitative easing...

Pinch

Shocked Dead Pinch

Jeez. Now I wish I hadn't read that.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2015 at 13:43
A lesser known fact - today is a special day for me.

A few weeks ago, after much umming and arring, and it has to be said, endless staring out of the window in deep contemplation, I reached the momentous decision that the time had come to <gulp> replace the potting shed. Not that the shed in question was ever designed to be a potting shed, or that it ever saw such horticultural activity; it's just a small 6'x4' shed that is neither a storage space for power tools and other handy handiman accoutrements of tools, lengths of scrap timber and almost empty pots of paint in various shades (aka the "workshop" shed), nor is it the "garage" for the petrol mower, two bicycles that have not seen the light of day for many years and various items of camping paraphernalia, such as several tents and various propane stoves (aka the "shed" shed) - it is just the space where disused and unwanted flower pots go to hide in the forlorn hope that one day they'll be reused for their intended purpose of growing seedlings. 

This small "potting" shed was here when we moved in, buried at the top of the garden and overshadowed by the neighbours beach tree it wasn't exactly in good nick back then. I removed the narrow plexiglass window and replaced it with a full-width real glass one soon after we arrived in the hope that the increased influx of light would aid the germination of plantettes that I planned to grow in there. I even went to the effort and expense of re-felting its roof after a particularly strong wind had stripped it of its original covering, but my dreams of becoming the next Bob Flowerdew, Peter Seabrook or Percy Thrower never materialised and the shed fell into disuse, and I am ashamed to say, disrepair.

The other week I noticed that it was leaning at a perilous angle, more rhomboid than square, so I trudged up the garden armed with hammer and a pocketful of galvanised clout nails to effect repair. Only to have to quickly return to the "workshop" shed for saw and lengths of timber to patch gaps in its feather-board cladding. Then last week the door popped open unaided, unable to resist the parallelogram shift in the geometry of the end wall and refused to stay shut without the gentle application of an appropriately placed 4" nail. 

So I ordered a replacement, and took the day off today, awaiting its delivery ... sometime between 9:50 and 13:50 they said... as they do. Excellent I thought - I should be able erect it in the afternoon no problem. 

And promptly at 16:45 it arrived... as they do. Gits.

What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 06:28

A lesser known fact - today is a special day for me.

A few weeks ago, after much umming and arring, and it has to be said, endless staring out of the window in deep contemplation, I reached the momentous decision that the time had come to <gulp> replace the potting shed. Not that the shed in question was ever designed to be a potting shed, or that it ever saw such horticultural activity; it's just a small 6'x4' shed that is neither a storage space for power tools and other handy handiman accoutrements of tools, lengths of scrap timber and almost empty pots of paint in various shades (aka the "workshop" shed), nor is it the "garage" for the petrol mower, two bicycles that have not seen the light of day for many years and various items of camping paraphernalia, such as several tents and various propane stoves (aka the "shed" shed) - it is just the space where disused and unwanted flower pots go to hide in the forlorn hope that one day they'll be reused for their intended purpose of growing seedlings. 

This small "potting" shed was here when we moved in, buried at the top of the garden and overshadowed by the neighbours beach tree it wasn't exactly in good nick back then. I removed the narrow plexiglass window and replaced it with a full-width real glass one soon after we arrived in the hope that the increased influx of light would aid the germination of plantettes that I planned to grow in there. I even went to the effort and expense of re-felting its roof after a particularly strong wind had stripped it of its original covering, but my dreams of becoming the next Bob Flowerdew, Peter Seabrook or Percy Thrower never materialised and the shed fell into disuse, and I am ashamed to say, disrepair.

The other week I noticed that it was leaning at a perilous angle, more rhomboid than square, so I trudged up the garden armed with hammer and a pocketful of galvanised clout nails to effect repair. Only to have to quickly return to the "workshop" shed for saw and lengths of timber to patch gaps in its feather-board cladding. Then last week the door popped open unaided, unable to resist the parallelogram shift in the geometry of the end wall and refused to stay shut without the gentle application of an appropriately placed 4" nail. 

So I ordered a replacement, and took the day off today, awaiting its delivery ... sometime between 9:50 and 13:50 they said... as they do. Excellent I thought - I should be able erect it in the afternoon no problem. 

And promptly at 16:45 it arrived... as they do. Gits.

Gits indeed. Now you've reminded me that my shed needs painting.
And the grass needs cutting.
Basically the garden hasn't really been touched since Autumn and now closely resembles the wildlands of Borneo.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:57
Hmmm - same here

Currently don't have a garden, just a plot of land 'with potential'; it's also a 4 day weekend, isn't it?

And yes - my shed needs another coat of preservative, too.

...and the patio roof needs it's annual clean...

...and the flower beds need....

Oh bollocks! There goes the weekend - Hmph!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Hmmm - same here

Currently don't have a garden, just a plot of land 'with potential'; it's also a 4 day weekend, isn't it?

And yes - my shed needs another coat of preservative, too.

...and the patio roof needs it's annual clean...

...and the flower beds need....

Oh bollocks! There goes the weekend - Hmph!
Just pray for rain mate, that's always a good excuse. "It's too wet to cut the grass dear!"

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 11:23
Unfortunately a better excuse came up - my mother weas taken into hospital with a suspected stroke so all plans went right out of the window.

Rushed down to Worthing hospital on Saturday to find her sitting up in bed, chirpy & chatty, no sign of a stroke (phew!).

Parents do this deliberately, don't they...?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 11:36
Phew indeed Jim.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 12:00
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Unfortunately a better excuse came up - my mother weas taken into hospital with a suspected stroke so all plans went right out of the window.

Rushed down to Worthing hospital on Saturday to find her sitting up in bed, chirpy & chatty, no sign of a stroke (phew!).

Parents do this deliberately, don't they...?

Glad to hear she was ok Jim. Maybe it was a ruse to get you out of the pub on a Bank Holiday?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 10:18
Funny how things always seem to go wrong in threes -

Last Monday - puncture, new tyre
Tuesday - light flashing on boiler, hot water sensor gone
Wednesday - drainpipe blows off in high winds.

Well, that's a few hundred quid down the drain then.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Funny how things always seem to go wrong in threes -

Last Monday - puncture, new tyre
Tuesday - light flashing on boiler, hot water sensor gone
Wednesday - drainpipe blows off in high winds.

Well, that's a few hundred quid down the drain then.
Had a call from the insurance company's appointed builder regarding replacing the afore-mentioned drainpipe. They're going to use a scaffolding tower (can't use a ladder due to an overhang over the garage). They've only looked at the house in the surveyor's photos and I did point out that the tower will need to go on our driveway which has a fairly substantial slope. They assure me it will be ok.

Tuesday morning is going to be interesting.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 10:43
Hope that doesn't turn into the farce I had trying to get BT to install a second phone line last year:

A time was booked and the HAE (Hairy-Arsed Engineer) duly arrived in his van armed with length of cable and all the requisite plugs and sockets... and a ladder. I explain where I wanted the phone socket, pointing to an upstairs room above the kitchen. He nods and says that's all do-able, then we walk down the drive to the road to seek-out the appropriate telegraph pole. He takes one look at it and does that sharp intake of breath thing...

'That's got mains power on it.' He says shaking his head, 'I need a fibreglass ladder to get up there.'... we both look at the aluminium ladder atop his van, and then back to the telegraph pole with a SEB step-down transformer fixed to it and the length of overhead power cable that runs to the eaves of my house... he does the sharp intake of breath thing again, it seems he's been practising that and needs to demonstrate this skill more than once. 

The choice between having a working business phone or a dead engineer and no power is an easy one to make, if there was a choice to be made, which there isn't. It's a Health and Safety thing, and for once a perfectly understandable one. So he buggers off to fetch a fibreglass ladder. Or so I thought.

Two days later another HAE turns-up, now armed with the correct ladder for the job. Once again I explain where the line needs to run and he looks up at my spare room and does that sharp intake of breath thing that his colleague was so good at.

'I can't get up there with a ladder,' he says, shaking his head, 'we're going to need a hoist.' I look around to see who this "we" is but there is just him and me. Remembering having seen those BT Openreach Ford Transit vans with a hoist on the roof before I ask him if that will also be able to fix the cable to a telegraph pole that has mains power on it. He nods affirmatively, climbs back into his van and, like his colleague before him, returns from whence he came.

More days pass. Eventually a BT van pulls up, but where an electric hoist should be there sits a standard aluminium ladder looking remarkably like the one that arrived on day-one. The HAE, however, is someone I've not seen before. He explains that the hoist is on its way and sure enough within a few quite long minutes a five-tonne flatbed truck equipped with a sodding great cherry-picker arrives and tries to reverse up our steep and very narrow drive. Thinking that this would be considerably easier if my car wasn't parked on the drive I flap my arms in a manic fashion to get him to stop. The driver halts the lorry, descends from the cab and waddles up the drive. So (once again) I explain where the cable needs to run. This newly arrived fourth HAE looks up at the spare room, then at HAE#3, and does that sharp intake of breath thing...

'It won't reach', he says, shaking his head but offering no further explanation. His colleague nods as if this salient fact was obvious to all. I ask if they can't just stand on the flat-roof of the bathroom and get a look from each of them as though I've just insulted both their mothers'. I am then treated to a stereophonic sharp intake of breath. [I have a City and Guilds Full-Tech Certificate in Telecoms Engineering and don't remember unison harmonic vocal inhalation being on the syllabus.]

'Not flat-roof trained,' one of them says, shaking his head. He looks to his mate who also shakes his head. 'We're going to have to fetch someone who is'. [I'm starting to think that before the week is out I would have met every engineer that BT employs in this area ... I'm also beginning to wonder just how many people and how much training is required to connect a length of 6-core cable from a pole to a wall.]  My shoulders visibly slump as they both stand there doing nothing, so to keep things moving I suggest that since the hoist is here then perhaps they can at least fix the cable to the telegraph pole while we wait the arrival of someone who is flat-roof trained. I await the sharp intake but there is none. They nod. I smile. Ten minutes later some fifty feet of cable is attached to a telegraph pole and HAE#4 climbs into his cab and buggers off, one must assume to fetch someone who has been on the appropriate H&S training course.

I brew the obligatory pot of tea while HAE #3 and I await the arrival of HAE #5 (or #1 or #2 perhaps) and so we sit under the veranda supping tea [it's actually a flat-roofed car-port but having unsuccessfully tried to park a car under it we long ago converted it to a covered patio area that some readers may remember that we call "Malcolm" for want of a more meaningful name... I should add that Malcolm's 30 feet of corrugated plastic roof is the root cause of the latest chapter in this saga becoming the fiasco that it has]. His phone rings. We both look surprised, none more so than me because all the to-ing and fro-ing over the past few days to fetch ladders and hoists has seen BT employees ferrying messages to each other in person and has not involved the use of any electronic communications equipment at all. Apparently there is no one available today who is flat-roof trained. My heart sinks as he gets up and goes to leave.

'What if,' I ask, 'you drill a hole in the wall from the inside and fix the junction-box while I scurry up onto the bathroom roof and poke the offending cable through to you to wire up? When the flat-roof guy gets here all he has to do is tidy it all up.' He thinks for a bit, and I can sense that a sharp intake of breath is imminent, so I add that I was trained as a Telecoms Technician (a small white lie but I do really have a C&G full-tech certificate in the subject, as well as a degree in Electronics and forty years experience of solving logistical and engineering type red-tape conundrums), I also point out that I have been on the roof many times to clear out the guttering and replace slipped roof slates. 'It's all perfectly safe...' I conclude, ever hopeful.

After some careful consideration he finally agrees and sets to work boring holes in my wall while I drag my laptop outside to continue working on whatever it was I was doing before they arrived. Thirty minutes later he proudly announces that it's all done, so I get up to help feed the cable through the hole to discover that "it's all done" means that it is indeed "all done." ... 

'If any one asks...' he says in hushed tones his voice trailing off and I nod in an appropriately conspiratorial way...

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 11:36

'we could use a wooden ladder'

'not EU approved'

'rope ladder?'

'do I look like a pirate?'

'tea?'

'Yup... Oi! You with the long 'air - 2 teas mate, loadsa sugar'

'luvvly'

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:24
That's brilliant Dean. Just wondering though - how exactly does one become "flat-roof trained"? Do you get a certificate?

Which reminds me, I recently passed an exam to become an Accredited Tester (which basically means I point out the typos in peoples' testing documentation) and didn't get a certificate. Cry

Edited by chopper - April 09 2015 at 12:25
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 13:24
Oi Dean, that's a great story. Worked better here today. The water meter was replaced. I had to be home between 13.30 and 15.30 because the repairman would come between these times. i forgot all about it, but at 13.30 sharp (just I was getting ready for a nap, I need that while recovering from a burn out) the doorbell rang, and repairman was there. The job would take 15 minutes, so I went back upstairs and not 5 minutes later the man said 'Sir, it's all done - I'll leave the card with the last readings of your old meter on the table'. And he left... job all done.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 14:22
Apparently you need HSG33 Alan, I would imagine that certificates are only given after you have been on the certificate handling safety course, because as we know paper cuts are the worse kind of pain.

If only British repairmen were as efficient as Dutch ones. Unhappy

Once we called out a repairman to repair the gas fire. The guy arrives promptly enough and I cannot help but notice a Bandaid stuck on his forehead for it was quite a sizeable one and hard to avoid. I show him into the living room where the fire is, and kneels down in front of it and he sets to work dismantling the fire. Long story-short: as he's fighting with a large spanner on a stubborn joint, the spanner slips, he keels forward and cracks his head against the mantle piece. "Oh bother" he says (or words to that effect) "That's twice I've done that today".

Years ago we needed a plumber, normally I'd do that kind of work myself but this time I was too busy so Debs suggested we "get a man in". Not knowing any plumbers we asked a neighbour if they knew of one and he did, but added "make sure you get to come in the morning." Heeding his advice, though not sure why, we arranged for this plumber come the following day around 11 am and much to my surprise rather than having the usual white van, he arrives by bicycle with a bag of tools. As he is working away he keeps glancing at the kitchen clock, as 11:00 becomes 11:30 his work-rate seems to get quicker and as 11:30 edges towards 12:00 not only does his work speed up, his agitation and constant glancing at the clock increases too. By noon the job is finished, and being the kind of person I am, I check everything over thoroughly before paying him, and have to admit that considering the haste with which he worked, his done a bloody good job of it, however, his agitation seems to gotten even worse. "How much?" I ask pulling out my cheque book, and by now it's clear he's very jumpy and practically backing out of the door, so eager is he to get away. "Cash," he says, "Got any cash?" And I tell him I've only got a twenty. "That'll do" he replies, grabbing my money and legging it down the garden path. Later I relate all this to my neighbour and ask him what the hell was going on. "The pub opens at 12 o'clock", he explains with a grin.

What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 16:57

Apparently you need HSG33 Alan, I would imagine that certificates are only given after you have been on the certificate handling safety course, because as we know paper cuts are the worse kind of pain.

Damn, I forgot that. I've not been trained in the use of paper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 151>