Topic ClosedShed 2 (The Gazebo)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 151>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 17:01
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Oi Dean, that's a great story. Worked better here today. The water meter was replaced. I had to be home between 13.30 and 15.30 because the repairman would come between these times. i forgot all about it, but at 13.30 sharp (just I was getting ready for a nap, I need that while recovering from a burn out) the doorbell rang, and repairman was there. The job would take 15 minutes, so I went back upstairs and not 5 minutes later the man said 'Sir, it's all done - I'll leave the card with the last readings of your old meter on the table'. And he left... job all done.

He wouldn't last long over here. Turning up on time - what's that all about?

Mind you, our boiler man said he'd be here between 9 and 10, arrived at 09:10, finished with 10 minutes and only charged me £5000 for the call out.

OK, I made the last bit up, but the rest is true. And I only phoned him the day before. This is why I don't bother with a maintenance contract with British feckin' Gas any more. Not since they left us without any heating for 3 days when there was snow outside (and didn't bother to let us know they weren't coming because they couldn't get the part. The part that I managed to find from the first supplier I picked at random from the Yellow Pages).
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 03:50
Dear Mr Garten
Spotify is suggesting that I might like to listen to "The Sentinel" by Pallas. What should I do?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Years ago we needed a plumber, normally I'd do that kind of work myself but this time I was too busy so Debs suggested we "get a man in". Not knowing any plumbers we asked a neighbour if they knew of one and he did, but added "make sure you get to come in the morning." Heeding his advice, though not sure why, we arranged for this plumber come the following day around 11 am and much to my surprise rather than having the usual white van, he arrives by bicycle with a bag of tools. As he is working away he keeps glancing at the kitchen clock, as 11:00 becomes 11:30 his work-rate seems to get quicker and as 11:30 edges towards 12:00 not only does his work speed up, his agitation and constant glancing at the clock increases too. By noon the job is finished, and being the kind of person I am, I check everything over thoroughly before paying him, and have to admit that considering the haste with which he worked, his done a bloody good job of it, however, his agitation seems to gotten even worse. "How much?" I ask pulling out my cheque book, and by now it's clear he's very jumpy and practically backing out of the door, so eager is he to get away. "Cash," he says, "Got any cash?" And I tell him I've only got a twenty. "That'll do" he replies, grabbing my money and legging it down the garden path. Later I relate all this to my neighbour and ask him what the hell was going on. "The pub opens at 12 o'clock", he explains with a grin.

Love this story.  Could have paid him in ale!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:52
Every year in May we go down to Central Oregon to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge for the bird migration. After a day of birding, I was sitting at the camp site, which consisted of a fire pit and a cement picnic table. I had a nice little fire going. I was sitting in my camp chair with a beer and the makings for a burger that I was going to cook over the fire. My friend's burger was sitting on a paper plate on the picnic table. A magpie came and landed in the tree over the picnic table. It was surveying  my friend's sandwich with a slice of cheese on top. It then flew down and landed on the picnic table and I figured I should go to save my friend's slice of cheese and burger. As I got up from my chair the magpie flew over and took the cheese off my burger and flew away. Totally faked out by a magpie. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:54
Thems Magpies are smarter than the average bear. LOL 
What?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:57
Watching it fly away with the slice of cheese was worth it. I wish I had the camera at hand.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Dear Mr Garten
Spotify is suggesting that I might like to listen to "The Sentinel" by Pallas. What should I do?

1 - Don't

2 - Really, DON'T

3 - Why have you got to #3?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:38
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Dear Mr Garten

1 - Don't

2 - Really, DON'T

3 - Why have you got to #3?

My main concern here is, what has Alan actually been listening to on Spotify, which would make it venture to suggest he might also like 'The Sentinel'?  Ermm
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:40
Spotty fly? That's a ladybird isn't it? 
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:41
Evenin' Jared, how's tricks?
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

My main concern here is, what has Alan actually been listening to on Spotify, which would make it venture to suggest he might also like 'The Sentinel'?  Ermm
Somewhat surprisingly (well maybe, given that I've never actually heard The Sentinel) it was The Enid.

It has also suggested Big Big Train, Squackett, Echolyn, IQ and some band called Tinyfish.

Edited by chopper - April 14 2015 at 13:41
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 02:11

Evenin' Jared, how's tricks?

bearing up under the strain of it all thanks Dean.

I had thought of popping back in here to tell you that we are in the process of exchanging contracts on what promises to make me joint owner of a concrete shed.

Slide 2 suggests it is one of those sturdy concrete jobs built by Powys County Council. Needless to say, the house is empty and presentable, but the shed is full of the previous owner's junk, but at least it's not likely to blow over in the wind.  I was re-assured to also find that said shed also comes with an accompanying 2 bed terrace to accommodate Lady Fandango.

Edited by Jared - April 15 2015 at 02:14
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 02:22

Somewhat surprisingly (well maybe, given that I've never actually heard The Sentinel) it was The Enid.

Yes, the connection there isn't immediately apparent; you do wonder what algorithms their database uses, sometimes.... at least they didn't recommend Nickleback, apparently, they often do.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 04:55
Ooooo... concrete shed... very bijou - the attached house doesn't look too shabby either.
What?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 07:49

Ooooo... concrete shed... very bijou - the attached house doesn't look too shabby either.

yes, and for those of you who live in the south and east of the country (which is most of you, I know), you'll probably find the price difficult to believe; you'll be adding a 2 on the front.  The price reflects the fact that a) no-one wants to live in mid-Wales and b) it's of 'non-standard construction' which means that they're a bugger to get a mortgage on, so hard(er) to sell... but we aren't planning to. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:19

yes, and for those of you who live in the south and east of the country (which is most of you, I know), you'll probably find the price difficult to believe; you'll be adding a 2 on the front.  The price reflects the fact that a) no-one wants to live in mid-Wales and b) it's of 'non-standard construction' which means that they're a bugger to get a mortgage on, so hard(er) to sell... but we aren't planning to. Smile

You're not wrong about the price. That's only slightly more than I paid for a one-bed flat in SW London in 1989.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:26
that would be the price of the concrete shed around here
What?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 11:11

when I took Lady Fandango to see one of her favourite bands at the Brum O2 Academy back in November, a rather unfortunate incident happened to the poor bassist. Mid-set, unprotected parts of his anatomy became entangled with the activities of the special effects department...

... needless to say, he came out of the ordeal second best. warning, this link isn't for the faint hearted:

enormous credit to him however; no doubt in excruciating pain, he played on like a trooper with a 'show must go on' attitude before being carted off to the QE for some erm... quantitative easing...

Pinch

Shocked Dead Pinch

Jeez. Now I wish I hadn't read that.

Last Thursday, Sue was bouncing around the living room like a 3 year old on e-numbers, as she found out her heroes were returning this autumn, to play the Brum Institute on Oct 23rd... her birthday, nonetheless.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought the poor bassist would ever have wanted to see Birmingham again after his last experience; something he would have in common with much of the rest of the country...

anyway, tickets have been purchased and not only do I get another evening of radio-friendly 'corset-core' to experience, but I also get to enjoy another weekend at her mother's... Ermm
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 05:24
I ****ing hate grass. Cut it for the first time this year 2 weekends ago and now it's longer than it was then. On the bright side, my copy of the new Tangent CD arrived this morning.

Edited by chopper - April 18 2015 at 05:24
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:56
The ancients had it all wrong, gents.  Sisyphus wasn't condemned to roll a boulder up a hill, he was condemned to weed a garden.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 151>