Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 09:43
maybe you are right. this weekend I`ll lock myself in and play. them albums with a more open minded. you see it all coming from my first show with SH. his in between song banter. as he was a bit pissed with us all calling for FISH and Fish era classic songs. what he said a large amount of ANTI FISH. which pissed me right off big time. so that my reasons for the anti Steve H.   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:05
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

maybe you are right. this weekend I`ll lock myself in and play. them albums with a more open minded. you see it all coming from my first show with SH. his in between song banter. as he was a bit pissed with us all calling for FISH and Fish era classic songs. what he said a large amount of ANTI FISH. which pissed me right off big time. so that my reasons for the anti Steve H.   

I can't think of anything more daft. You go to see a band, who have a "new" singer, with lots of great fresh material they want to play to you, and all you do is shout for the old guys stuff.

You were pissed off? I can well imagine H being very pissed off, to the extent I would ask why you bothered to pay money to see a band you obviously had no interest in hearing?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 09:50
daft am I well firstly I was there from the start. before they had any record deal and only a tape to buy at gigs. i went to gig to hear if the new album. songs would rock out better than the album. well I've been to other bands gigs where fans shout out for the bands. old songs to be played again. even when fish was the frontman we call for Grendel which pissed him of too!. please don`t take any bad feelings out of this reply. so here i am hoping we will become friends chat about all topics. the geekfreak hopes you are well. see you soon

Music Is Live

<
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 07:16
I'm not aware of H making a point of regularly slamming Fish onstage, but I guess it must be tempting if the audience keep yelling about Fish.

The band did go through a patch where they more or less never (with a very few exceptions) played any Fish-era stuff and got very hostile to anyone who kept dredging the matter up. I can sympathise, but on the other hand I think it was a bit of a misstep, not least because loudly declaring where your sore spots are isn't the best move if you want people to stop laughing at you and take you seriously. I remember being quite put off by the press release they issued around the time of Anoraknophobia which was basically an angry challenge to the music press - not the sort of stance you want to take if you want people to actually give your music a fair chance, and really weird timing considering that there are a number of subtle Fish-era callbacks on that album.

That said, I think they're more comfortable with their past and the "prog" label, though. They typically pull out one Fish-era song per gig, which isn't much but when you consider that they've now put out 3 times as many studio albums (not counting Less Is More) with H than they did with Fish I think it's decent of them to keep making space in on the setlist for that old material.

Don't shout for Grendel, though, there's no faster way to tag yourself as someone who's yelling at the band purely for the sake of yelling at the band.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 09:19

daft am I well firstly I was there from the start. before they had any record deal and only a tape to buy at gigs. i went to gig to hear if the new album. songs would rock out better than the album. well I've been to other bands gigs where fans shout out for the bands. old songs to be played again. even when fish was the frontman we call for Grendel which pissed him of too!. please don`t take any bad feelings out of this reply. so here i am hoping we will become friends chat about all topics. the geekfreak hopes you are well. see you soon

No bad feelings at all, old chap!Hug
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 09:54
good no hard feeling. well must tell you I`ve been listening to sunlight and its AMAZING. in its wonder the singing is better too. oh yes I did say BETTER. now you ok. once I`ve been a fan again
and forgotten the silly banter and just fell in the spell of the BAND.
again I`ve been away to long. which is geekclown.

Music Is Live

<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 10:40

good no hard feeling. well must tell you I`ve been listening to sunlight and its AMAZING. in its wonder the singing is better too. oh yes I did say BETTER. now you ok. once I`ve been a fan again

Afraid of Sunlight is, perhaps, the best album by way of introduction to h era Marillion. The quality of the songwriting and music is exceptional.

Q magazine said, in its review at the time, if it had been released by any band other than one called Marillion, it would have been a worldwide monster hit. They were right.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 13:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Afraid of Sunlight is, perhaps, the best album by way of introduction to h era Marillion. The quality of the songwriting and music is exceptional.

Q magazine said, in its review at the time, if it had been released by any band other than one called Marillion, it would have been a worldwide monster hit. They were right.

I need that one on vinyl too.....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 19:07
there is a lot of h era albums I need to.

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 09:50
wow Steve H is giving me pure fab listening times. ordered Marillion.com

Music Is Live

<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 10:41

That is one of the more "difficult" albums, and requires a lot of time and patience to appreciate.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 22:36

That is one of the more "difficult" albums, and requires a lot of time and patience to appreciate.

Few yrs ago I found both marillion.com and Somewhere Else while vinyl shopping, out of the gate I connected more with .com. I still struggle with Somwehere Else to this day...
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 08:06
Glad to hear that H-era Marillion's beginning to click for you, geekfreak!

Agree that marillion.com is one of the "harder to love" H-era albums - though you mentioned having already heard Radiation and I think it's easily a notch above that one. That said, it's got Interior Lulu, which is an amazing song.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 08:32
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Glad to hear that H-era Marillion's beginning to click for you, geekfreak!

Agree that marillion.com is one of the "harder to love" H-era albums - though you mentioned having already heard Radiation and I think it's easily a notch above that one. That said, it's got Interior Lulu, which is an amazing song.

Yep, Interior Lulu is worth the cd on its own.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 17:23

I can't think of anything more daft. You go to see a band, who have a "new" singer, with lots of great fresh material they want to play to you, and all you do is shout for the old guys stuff.

You were pissed off? I can well imagine H being very pissed off, to the extent I would ask why you bothered to pay money to see a band you obviously had no interest in hearing?

What I find extremely funny is that for some people, Hogarth is still the new guy. ROFLMAO moment.
It was 1989 when he joined Marillion, that's 25 years ago FGS!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 21:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

What I find extremely funny is that for some people, Hogarth is still the new guy. ROFLMAO moment.
It was 1989 when he joined Marillion, that's 25 years ago FGS!

Neil Peart is still the new guy.....Big smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 22:10
I finally got around to getting Radiation as the blue vinyl version - I am no really digging this album.
.com and Strange Engine are by far superior albums for my liking.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 22:45
Radiation I've always found suffered from the sequencing - cramming all the shorter, simpler tracks to the front and yanking neat stuff like Cathedral Wall and A Few Words For the Dead to the end.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 22:47
^ I even found those longer cuts 'lacking' somewhat....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 23:00

I'm not sure I have a huge feeling about Radiation, I like it, I have the vinyl too, I play that more than digital version I have...As you all know vinyl speaks to me differently than digital versions. Radiation has some really good stuff, but I can't say the rest lacking anything.

Its a 3 star album for me which is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 123>