Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Shrubbery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shrubbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 11:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

From Edison's Children I have "The Final Breath before November" and I really love the whole piece... one of my very favourite albums since 2000, along with The Whirlwind (and a few others, of course). I also have Somewhere Between Here and There, and even though I did find some nice stuff, I thought it was a bit pointless. I tried to get the debut, but it wasn't available... I think they re-released it, but haven't really tried to order it again. Now, I hope to get the new one soon too, more with these great opinions you are having.

Dellinger I think you'll find that the new album is not only more like the "Epic Style of writing" that is "The Final Breath Before November" but probably exceeds it. And yes they did re-release the first album and added Haunted Memories to it as a hidden track which is one of their best previous songs (which was a b-side from A Million Miles Away). 

I agree with you about SBHAT that it is a bit of a mashup with some very good moments (Growing Down in Brooklyn is a very cool song) but in the end was a bit all over the place. The fact that the band went dark for 4 years after it and not explaining it except for a brief commentary on the inside of the album didn't help matters. Finally Pete Trewavas came out publicly to let the world know about a month ago what that was all about and why E.C. disappeared for so long while leaving behind the "cutting room floor album" Somewhere Between Here and There which was meant to introduce Rick Armstrong (Son of Neil Armstrong - 1st man on the moon and one great step and all that) after Rick had played with them live before Eric's severe injury. 

The Lead singer/lead guitarist Eric Blackwood who wrote a large part of the two epic albums with Pete Trewavas was badly mangled in an accident where he does Special FX for big Hollywood motion pictures. (Blackwood did the FX on I Am Legend and American Gangster and Spiderman 3 and Men In Black 3 and dozens of others as you can see on wiki). While Pete Trewavas won't come out and say publicly exactly what happened and Eric Blackwood has been very tight lipped about it and says he legally can't talk about it, one of Marillion's techs who I know well said that his bicep was completely severed in the accident and whatever was left had to be "drilled into his armpit" causing him to not be able to play for several years and several surgeries later Eric is still trying to learn how to use the arm which is in a constant state of pain. If that wasn't bad enough Blackwood was also rumored to have caught MRSA which was on a few of the Marillion boards. Eric mentioned at the recent Marillion weekend that while that was a rumor he did have one of the worst cases of Lyme Disease after being bit on the knee by a poisonous spider and was hooked up to an IV for several years which Pete Trewavas confirmed in a video he put out about Eric Blackwood's condition last month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FxpjpFFlM  The band decided to put out an album of "non-epic" related stuff (thus the title Somewhere Between Here and There) while the original album they were supposed to put out "The Disturbance Fields" was put on the back burner until Eric could play again properly. With Rick Armstrong now making the band a trio, Rick was able to finish up Eric's parts while adding some of his own style and the album that was supposed to come out back in 2015 and didn't (which led to the release of SBHAT), finally came out on 7/20/2019 which was the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon. 

So the reason for Somewhere Between Here and There was to let the fans know that they weren't gone forever but taking a break while they figured out what to do with all of Eric's sudden health crisis issues. It was meant to keep the fans from forgetting about them in the meantime but it may have had the adverse effect in that it may have scared away some who were left wondering "what exactly is this"?

Luckily The Disturbance Fields which may have left us waiting since 2013' The Final Breath Before November for the "real new album" was worth the wait. Eric Blackwood also was able to finally take the stage again and though he admitted he was "heavily medicated", actually did a fine job live playing with Edison's Children at the 50th anniversary of Neil Armstrong's Apollo 11 Celebration at Cape Canaveral. His vocals were as good as ever and they played a lot of classics and a few new tunes along with the encore of Games People Play with the Alan Parsons Project. Just would have preferred after hearing how good this album was that they did more of the new album and more of The Final Breath Before November. Especially "The Approaching Front/Indigenous" which along with A Random Disturbance and Asphyxiation, may be the best things they've done. I do understand though they were playing for astronauts and people there to celebrate Apollo 11 and probably had to do a "festival set" with their hits more than the AOR style of songs I would have preferred to hear like The Longing and Where Were You.
Let's make Prog a family again. Tired of Snobbery and trolling. We all have a right to love what and who we love so lets respect and appreciate all who care about the finest music in the world... prog
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 21:36
Thanks a lot, now I have to get those two albums I'm missing. I hope I can still get the first one, since last time I tried it was out of print, and I don't know how long it will be available now. I did read something a little while ago about something awful having happened to Blackwood, in a review or something, but they didn't dig much into it, so now I know. I hope he keeps getting better now.
DevilsInTheDetails View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevilsInTheDetails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 05:21
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Even though I remember them from the 80's, I've been heavy into Marillion for about 5 years now. In that short amount of time, I've been able to acquire pretty much their entire catalog in discs and DVD's (I still need the newly remastered live discs from the Fish era). And, with my membership to the Front Row Club and the WebUK, I have an assortment of live discs from Hogarth's very first live performance in Paris, to several performances from the Happiness Is The Road tour. All of this is topped off by my attending the North Amercian convention in Montreal in April, and will most assuredly go down as (one of) the greatest live music experiences of my life.
Firstly thank you for starting the thread
I have to really watch myself with Marillion. If I find myself listening to them too much, I must shelve them for a period; however, every time I re-visit them and hear the brilliant music that they continue to produce, it just reaffirms what I love and admire about this band

So, being that we're seeing a lot of "appreciation threads", I thought I'd start one of my favorite and learn what makes them special for you. Favorite discs, songs and experiences can be expressed freely.

E

Absolute stunning band imho
Mad As A March Hare
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 11:27
My first time here in a few years. Good to see that the room I started all those years ago is still (somewhat) active. 

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:09

My first time here in a few years. Good to see that the room I started all those years ago is still (somewhat) active. 

E

Hello, Eric. Nice to see you.

The thread burps into life only sporadically these days. Needs a bit of a kick start, really.

Anyhow, I will ask a simple question. FEAR. I think it is a work of genius, and well in the top five of Marillion albums.

Agree or disagree?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:11

E
We haven't given much love to Marillion lately. Perhaps a new album is in order! Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

E
We haven't given much love to Marillion lately. Perhaps a new album is in order! Tongue

Took the words out of my mouth LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

E

They are jamming and preparing as we speak. Hopefully, next year.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 13:15
Not sure what brought me back to PA. Just been a while and thought I'd look in on this room. Facebook seems to occupy most of my forum talk or social media-ing. 

I really wish I shared your opinion of FEAR. I tried over and over and I couldn't get into it, and if not for Less Is More, it could be my least favorite Marillion album ever produced. I just find it lacks energy and melody. I think what started it for me is when the the advanced download of "The New Kings" was given to those who pre-ordered. About 3-4 minutes into it I just had a sinking feeling. And then when I got the whole album, it just didn't grab me at all. I would shelve it and then come back to it and still nothing resonated. I did listen to Afraid Of Sunlight (the new deluxe) and the Friday night show in Montreal recently, but have basically been on a Marillion break. 

Sort of got into it with management and (sorry) some pretty insulting and offensive things were said to me. People hold her in high reverence, but I'm definitely not one of them. I think that combination has cooled my jets. I hate it because I miss the passion I had with the band. Hopefully it comes back again. Hopefully a new album that blows the skirt up over my head (that's just a figure of speech. HA!) will change things. 

Glad everyone is doing well. I still keep in contact with Steve Perry. He actually flew down last year and we drove to Nashville to attend Morsefest. A couple of years before that he came down for Morsefest, but we drove over to my hometown of Kansas City and stayed with mom and saw the ARW version of Yes. Steve's still doing very well. 

Hope all are doing well,
E

Edited by E-Dub - April 16 2020 at 13:18
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 10:30

Not sure what brought me back to PA. Just been a while and thought I'd look in on this room. Facebook seems to occupy most of my forum talk or social media-ing. 

I really wish I shared your opinion of FEAR. I tried over and over and I couldn't get into it, and if not for Less Is More, it could be my least favorite Marillion album ever produced. I just find it lacks energy and melody. I think what started it for me is when the the advanced download of "The New Kings" was given to those who pre-ordered. About 3-4 minutes into it I just had a sinking feeling. And then when I got the whole album, it just didn't grab me at all. I would shelve it and then come back to it and still nothing resonated. I did listen to Afraid Of Sunlight (the new deluxe) and the Friday night show in Montreal recently, but have basically been on a Marillion break. 

Sort of got into it with management and (sorry) some pretty insulting and offensive things were said to me. People hold her in high reverence, but I'm definitely not one of them. I think that combination has cooled my jets. I hate it because I miss the passion I had with the band. Hopefully it comes back again. Hopefully a new album that blows the skirt up over my head (that's just a figure of speech. HA!) will change things. 

Glad everyone is doing well. I still keep in contact with Steve Perry. He actually flew down last year and we drove to Nashville to attend Morsefest. A couple of years before that he came down for Morsefest, but we drove over to my hometown of Kansas City and stayed with mom and saw the ARW version of Yes. Steve's still doing very well. 

Hope all are doing well,
E

Hmm, interesting re FEAR. My review said it all, really, but, in respect of energy, The Leavers just has tons of it, IMO.

With regard to management, the only real contact I have had is after I conducted my interview for this site with Pete and Eric aka Edison’s Children. It had some good feedback, so I wrote to her asking if the band would be interested, given the utter lack of h-related stuff here. I didn’t receive a response, which I thought a bit queer, but didn’t pursue.

Nice to hear about Steve, and I hope you drop by more often here. You are missed.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

E

That put a spring in my step. Nice.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 12:44

E

Wow nice to see an "old timer" posting or at least visiting for a bit Clap, we need more of that here (PA)!

There are a few of us still waving the Marillion banner, as Steve (Laz) mentioned. They remain in constant rotation when I sit and spin some records.
I love many parts of FEAR, with some I can skip but I don't move the tonearm once it hits the record, I listen to full sides. 
So much of their catalog hits different parts of what I like....

Cheers!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:27

E

That put a spring in my step. Nice.

Spring in my step too!Big smile
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 07:32
After watching a DVD last night with a few beers and doing the ironing (as you do), I decided to watch a few videos on YouTube before retiring to my slumbers, and this usually involves watching some of the fine live performances by Marillion.

I then took a look, prompted, at the Marillion app I downloaded a wee while ago. I was there directed to a new streaming service by the band of lots of fine stuff for a seven day free period, before signing up to a pay view service of £5.50 per month.

Now I love this band, as you all know. I have a pile of dvds charting all periods of the band live career, and have also downloaded from the band’s website a couple of gigs I attended in person.

I will not, however, take up this offer. Even though I could afford this, it strikes me as being quite expensive. Amazon Prime only sets me back some £7-odd per month, and Netflix about £10. Sky and BT Sports and movie packages quite a bit more.

I would, in truth, struggle to justify this sort of expenditure to the Mrs General, although I might add that I am sure she wouldn’t say a thing against it. It is me. I have spent quite a bit of dosh on this band and it’s personnel over the years, and there is something about this that strikes me as being a request for money too far. It might have been a bit different had they included other acts such as IQ, Pendragon, and etc., making it a sort of British talent streaming service. Then I would be straight in.

Anyhow, what do you think? Is Laz being a little bit of a tight arse with the cash, or do I have a point?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 09:27

After watching a DVD last night with a few beers and doing the ironing (as you do), I decided to watch a few videos on YouTube before retiring to my slumbers, and this usually involves watching some of the fine live performances by Marillion.

I then took a look, prompted, at the Marillion app I downloaded a wee while ago. I was there directed to a new streaming service by the band of lots of fine stuff for a seven day free period, before signing up to a pay view service of £5.50 per month.

Now I love this band, as you all know. I have a pile of dvds charting all periods of the band live career, and have also downloaded from the band’s website a couple of gigs I attended in person.

I will not, however, take up this offer. Even though I could afford this, it strikes me as being quite expensive. Amazon Prime only sets me back some £7-odd per month, and Netflix about £10. Sky and BT Sports and movie packages quite a bit more.

I would, in truth, struggle to justify this sort of expenditure to the Mrs General, although I might add that I am sure she wouldn’t say a thing against it. It is me. I have spent quite a bit of dosh on this band and it’s personnel over the years, and there is something about this that strikes me as being a request for money too far. It might have been a bit different had they included other acts such as IQ, Pendragon, and etc., making it a sort of British talent streaming service. Then I would be straight in.

Anyhow, what do you think? Is Laz being a little bit of a tight arse with the cash, or do I have a point?
Well Steve, you make a good argument to not spend the cash. Since you love to iron maybe you can start a small Saturday night ironing service to help fund the Marillion streaming service.....I believe that is a brilliant idea coming from your brilliant friend across the pond. I'll send you a bag of my boxers to press as a start.
Clap LOL

I would suspect that what is streaming is available on Youtube, you could do the 7 day free trial and then decide if the content is something you already have. Our Mrs Generals are similar in that the one I report to would not mind either, she regularly encourages me to buy records online during this stay at home period but its me, just not too interested right now plus I prefer to flip thru bins rather than click thru bins.

As you detailed the fee is out of line with what you pay for other services, but it is Marillion.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 11:58
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2022 at 13:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Sheer classApprove
Jackal3000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 08:37
Since they have so many releases on DVD and CD that have gone OOP, I'm sure this price is worthwhile to many people. I have pretty much all of Marillion's releases, so it would be of no use to me, but if I didn't have several of those releases (at least), I'd be using it.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2022 at 17:06
There's something refreshing in the earlier, and I'd say healthier, days of Marillion with Hogarth.

There's quite a bit of positive energy and enthusiasm in say, Holidays in Eden and This Strange Engine. But I haven't seen that in the band in a long time. They've lost their way. Maybe too many people have cheered them on regardless of what they put out - sort of a worshipping complex. But older fans, musicians, and close listeners could share some helpful tips for them.

There's a danger that tends to come with bands at it for decades, many years. A certain tunnel-vision, to where their long-standing ways dominate, and earlier fresher and more objective ways are hard to see, sense, or remember.

Edited by Boojieboy - March 14 2022 at 17:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123