Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Marillion Round Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 18:18
My girlfriend won a contest and we'll be meeting the guys!!!

So excited!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

So excited!

Wow, Alex, that's fantastic. I know you will both have a great time. They are nice guysClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 13:35
What the hell happened to marillion.com? They changed the layout. It looks like a myspace page or something now.  It used to be one of the cleaner looking and better designed band websites.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 13:53
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

What the hell happened to marillion.com? They changed the layout. It looks like a myspace page or something now.  It used to be one of the cleaner looking and better designed band websites.

I hope they want to be cleaner and better again, doesn't seem so bad right now, just that i don't like the facebook, twiiter comments on about any subject.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I hope they want to be cleaner and better again, doesn't seem so bad right now, just that i don't like the facebook, twiiter comments on about any subject.

If I'm honest, I'm not particularly keen on the new layout, but I put that down to an inate conservatism and dislike of changeLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

So excited!

Wow, Alex, that's fantastic. I know you will both have a great time. They are nice guysClap

Have you meet them before? I'm actually quite nervous LOL
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 04:55

What the hell happened to marillion.com?
Well, along with Radiation the production values on it aren't quite as shiny as they could be - you've got to bear in mind that this was before Marillion hit on the idea of getting the fans to crowd-fund the recording process (they started that with Anoraknophobia) so their budget was much more limited at the time. This made the somewhat indie pop-influenced directions of the shorter songs on the album stand out more (though not to the extent it did with some of the material on Radiation) so it's no surprise the album isn't a fan favourite, though I think it's sorely underrated - I mean, it's got Interior Lulu for crying out loud.

Oh, wait, do you mean the website?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 13:42

So excited!

Dude really!!!!? I hate you!!!!!  Party Wink

Edited by Catcher10 - May 28 2012 at 13:42
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 14:46

So excited!

I was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of Radiation when it was being finished off in my old home town, and met the boys when they did the Walls Restaurant gig.
mawgojzeta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mawgojzeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:48

So excited!

I met each of them very briefly in 1997 and they were very nice.  You both will have a wonderful time!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:24
Thanks for the warm wishes, guys!

Counting down the days Headbanger
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:12
Cover for the new album's been announced:

I think this might be a hint at their bold new direction - remember their last cover with a similar spiral design?

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 13:53
Latest e-bulletin from the band. I like the cover of the new albumThumbs Up

31 May 2012 Sounds That Can't Be Made

So it's May 31st and we're on our last day of rehearsing before our equipment gets shipped off to the USA for our North American Tour which starts next week. We've heard today that we've sold 10,000 tickets so far - thank you all so much for your support! There are tickets left for most gigs if you haven't got them already - seewww.marillion.com/tour - we won't let you down and we even promise to play a couple of the new songs from Sounds That Can't Be Made!

'Sounds That Can't Be Made' can be pre-ordered right up to the day it's released later this year and we thank all of you who have given us your hard earned money so far - it really has allowed us to put time and love into this album and we hope that you will enjoy the results. As an added bonus, for those of you who pre-order before June 1st, you will be entered into a draw to win some fabulous prizeswww.marillion.com/preorder/index.htm.

We thought we'd use this Eweb to share the album cover with you - we love it and hope you do too. We'll try to give you more news about the album over the next few weeks - the closer we get to finishing it, the more we can tell you.

One last thing - as many of you know, mainstream media don't tend to be in love with Marillion! There is a great chat show in the USA called Jimmy Kimmel Live and they have shown some interest in having us play. A Marillion fan has started a Facebook campaign https://www.facebook.com/GetMarillionOnJimmyKimmelLive to try and get us on the show - we are very flattered by this and appearing on this show would be amazing for us! Even if you don't live in the US, can we ask you a huge favour again and ask you to go and 'like' that Facebook page?
Fan power has worked well for us in the past and perhaps it's something that can work for us again - you never know until you try!

That's all for now and we look forward to seeing at least 10,000 of you out on the road!
Mark, Steve, Ian, Pete and H
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 20:06
After having heard all of their albums with H, with the exception of "HITR," here are my rankings:

1. "Brave" - 5 stars
2. "Seasons End" - 4.5-5 stars
3. "Holidays in Eden" (stunned at the PA ratings for this one) - 4.5-5 stars
4. "Afraid of Sunlight" - 4 stars
Tied for 5th: "Marbles" and "This Strange Engine" - 3.5 - 4 stars
7. "Anoraknophobia" - 3.5 stars
8. "Somewhere Else" - 3 stars
8. "Radiation" - 2.5-3 stars
10. "Marillion.com" - 2-2.5 stars

Don't know if this has been done but what are your personal rankings?

I'll rank all them (Fish and H eras) once more of you post your own.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 20:18

After having heard all of their albums with H, with the exception of "HITR," here are my rankings:

1. "Brave" - 5 stars

I think you made a typo with Marbles, which should be 6 stars Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 20:45
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

1. "Brave" - 5 stars

I think you made a typo with Marbles, which should be 6 stars Tongue

lolwut

Don't get me wrong, Marbles is great BUT it tends to drag just a bit...

The longer tracks are all superb though and I love Marbles I, II, III, and IV.
On a good day, I'd say 4 stars Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 13:29
Well, the danger here is that I will contradict my ratings from previous reviews, but here goes (Fish & H era all in one):

1= Brave 5 stars, an utter masterpiece
1= Marbles 5 stars, an utter masterpiece
1= Script for a Jester's Tear 5 stars, incredible debut.
4. Season's End 4.5 stars, an incredible debut by Hogarth
5. Misplaced Childhood 4.5 stars, still a fantastic listen
6. This Strange Engine 4.5 stars, bookended by two of the greatest tracks of all time
7. Afraid Of Sunlight 4.5 stars, so good it should have been a smash-hit
8. Happiness Is The Road 4 stars. I overrated it as a five star for my first ever review on the site, but still marvellous.
9. Fugazi 4 stars, a great follow-up album
10. Clutching At Straws 4 stars, fantastic, even though the cracks were showing.
11. Radiation 4 stars, criminally under valued by many.
12. Less Is More 3.5 stars, a good attempt at new interpretations
13. Marillion.Com 3 stars, contains incredible moments, but also ordinary ones.
14. Anoraknophobia 3 stars, as above
15. Somewhere Else 3 stars. Suffered from being the follow up to Marbles, but still a very good album
16. Holidays In Eden 2.5 stars, the one album I never got into much, but has stood the test of time.

Let's hope the new one is up in the first three!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 12:34
What's up, Fellas? Been a long while since I posted here. I actually forgot all about Progarchives and haven't been on in months, it seems.

The boys kick off the NA tour tonight and we're going to the Chicago shows. A lot of Montreal alums are coming in, so it'll be like a mini convention. Steve Perry and I will be attending the Friday meet-and-greet as well, so that's going to be very exciting. I've only met Rothery after night #1 in Montreal '09, so it'll be cool to be able to meet the rest. Sounds like they're going to tweak the set lists to be sensitive for the fact that they hardly play here, so we may be in for a real blistering show.

Anyone else making any shows?

E

Edited by E-Dub - June 10 2012 at 12:34
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 12:37
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

What's up, Fellas? Been a long while since I posted here. I actually forgot all about Progarchives and haven't been on in months, it seems.

The boys kick off the NA tour tonight and we're going to the Chicago shows. A lot of Montreal alums are coming in, so it'll be like a mini convention. Steve Perry and I will be attending the Friday meet-and-greet as well, so that's going to be very exciting. I've only met Rothery after night #1 in Montreal '09, so it'll be cool to be able to meet the rest. Sounds like they're going to tweak the set lists to be sensitive for the fact that they hardly play here, so we may be in for a real blistering show.

E

Eric!Hug Welcome back my friend (to the show....................).

Have a great time in Chicago, and meeting them will be fantastic.

Mrs Lazland, Lazland Junior, & I are going to the Cardiff leg of the UK tour, by which time the new album should be out.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 12:41

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

E

Eric!Hug Welcome back my friend (to the show....................).

Have a great time in Chicago, and meeting them will be fantastic.

Mrs Lazland, Lazland Junior, & I are going to the Cardiff leg of the UK tour, by which time the new album should be out.

I miss this particular group so much. I need to come on more often.

I'm just so glad to see them without some sort of theme. I've had a blast at the past two conventions, but to see a true live show without any hooks or gimmicks is very special. I honestly didn't think I'd ever experience this.

From what I understand, they'll be playing a new song or two ("Power" for sure, according to an interview with h). I honestly have a great feeling about this new album. I think it's going to be absolutely killer!

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 123>