Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat OS do you use, progger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you use? If multiple, pick your favorite/most heavily used.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [18.75%]
69 [71.88%]
5 [5.21%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What OS do you use, progger?
    Posted: November 13 2009 at 07:42
Originally posted by mono mono wrote:

I have OS X on my iMac, and Ubuntu and XP on my laptop.
XP just killed  me (crashes, crashes.... lost a few projects like that), and I just can't find everything I need with Ubuntu (for sound, DAWs, plugins, standalone software...).
So.......Mac!
Not only by default, I happen to like it a lot.
Ahh, when you turn on your computer and can actually use it less than 5 minutes after, it just feels good (it actually takes around 20seconds to become fully operational!).

hmmm, what are you comparing here? a 1.3GHz dual boot Celeron laptop against a 2GHz dual-core desktop perhaps? Even if both were PC based the desktop would win.

My XP Laptop boots in <20 seconds.
What?
AceBad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 07:34
A huge reason that I (and many other people) aren't using Linux or a Mac: Games.

As a PC gamer, it's not feasible to use anything other than Windows right now. I've tried Ubunutu and loved it, but the fact that almost all PC games won't run natively on it is a huge problem. I've tried tools like 'WINE', which are supposed to allow games to run on Linux, but there are almost no games that will run 100% correctly on WINE- even the ones that are playable will have bugs and issues. Mac has better game support, with lots of software companies that port PC versions of popular games to Mac, but its still not enough.

Also, I feel like Apple products aren't as open to user configuration / customization as others. The company philosophy seems to be "Our way is so easy, you won't need to do it any other way". That's great and all, but what if I don't want to do it your way? I've hated iTunes since it first came out with it's proprietary music file format that forced limitations on how many times you could copy the file. I realize they now offer DRM-free MP3s as well, but the damage has been done for me- I'm strongly anti-Apple.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 07:22
I have OS X on my iMac, and Ubuntu and XP on my laptop.
XP just killed  me (crashes, crashes.... lost a few projects like that), and I just can't find everything I need with Ubuntu (for sound, DAWs, plugins, standalone software...).
So.......Mac!
Not only by default, I happen to like it a lot.
Ahh, when you turn on your computer and can actually use it less than 5 minutes after, it just feels good (it actually takes around 20seconds to become fully operational!).

https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 07:08
Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

Hey, OP here.  Very interesting to see where this thing has gone.  Just curious, why do you think you don't use a Mac, or that more people don't use Mac?
Co$t
Interface
Loyalty(whether that makes you sane or crazy, I don't know)

I think a lot of this had to do with target markets - in the early days Mac's were specifically targeted at Graphic Artists and Musicians (after the demise of Atari St the Mac became the preferred Midi platform) this was a distinctly different market to the Apple II and one where it could excel over the PC, whereas the PC was seen as a more general purpose business machine whose architecture was purposely (by IBM) open to clone manufacturers (and Mac was not) so it appeared in far more workplaces. This meant that development of the PC went at the pace of market requirements (observe the exponential growth in the Graphics card market from the humble Hercules cards - none of which were driven by IBM or MicrClownSClownft) and by the big-money players like Intel and AMD, whereas the Mac development was restricted by Apple's cash-flow.

Penetration into the home market (again following the demise of specifically targeted home computers like the Atari ST and Amiga) was simply a case of people wanting to use the systems they were familiar with from work, and the PC was far cheaper than the Mac in this case too - I don't know the figures but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of Macs in homes in the 90s was signficantly less that the number of Apple IIs in the 80s - at that time Apple simply were not interested in the home market. later Apple attempted to redress this imbalance by allowing Mac clones and porting PC software over, but it had to reinvent the Mac as the iMac to achieve the necessary level of PC interface compatibility to really make this work (USB over Firewire, dropping SCSI and ADB etc) - the sexy new case by Jonathan Ive also played a big factor in gaining acceptance of the new design. By then they were 10 years behind the PC in the home market, and still producing a solution that was far more expensive than the PC. Even if you compare the Mac Mini with an equivalent price PC base-unit (ie no kbrd, mouse or monitor) you still got more bang for your buck with the PC. However, I suspect that the later advent of the Intel x86 based Macs has had a lesser effect than the success of the iPlod on the recent rise popularity of the Mac.

What?
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 06:14
Hey, OP here.  Very interesting to see where this thing has gone.  Just curious, why do you think you don't use a Mac, or that more people don't use Mac?
Co$t
Interface
Loyalty(whether that makes you sane or crazy, I don't know)

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 05:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I bet you're a wiz at texting too Tongue

Well... Currently:

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 05:41
^ I bet you're a wiz at texting too Tongue
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 05:29

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I still forget to "Save as Office 2003 Document" before I email assignments into school, which gets incredibly annoying. Since '07 can open both types, I don't see why it bothers to save them as the new format to begin with. Waste of time if you ask me!  

That's because you are not using any of the new features. Once you use them saving in the old format is not possible. I use the >256 column capability and conditional formatting features of Excel 2008 a lot and cannot save them as 2003 format.

Ah, fair enough. Right now for assignments, all I need is Arial size 12 with 1.5 line spacing

I had a problem with upgrading recently - Finally decided to get the new "Windows Live Messenger" (was previously running good ol' MSN 7) and after resetting as per instructions, it deleted my MSN without installing WLM. But now I can't attempt to re-install WLM, because when I run the installer it says its already installed

Life without messyger, sounds ideal to me Tongue LOL

Blasphemy!

Eh, MSN is good for me right now. Lets me keep in touch with friends online whilst avoiding FaceBook, MySpace etc etc...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 05:24

I still forget to "Save as Office 2003 Document" before I email assignments into school, which gets incredibly annoying. Since '07 can open both types, I don't see why it bothers to save them as the new format to begin with. Waste of time if you ask me!

That's because you are not using any of the new features. Once you use them saving in the old format is not possible. I use the >256 column capability and conditional formatting features of Excel 2008 a lot and cannot save them as 2003 format.

I had a problem with upgrading recently - Finally decided to get the new "Windows Live Messenger" (was previously running good ol' MSN 7) and after resetting as per instructions, it deleted my MSN without installing WLM. But now I can't attempt to re-install WLM, because when I run the installer it says its already installed
Life without messyger, sounds ideal to me Tongue LOL
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 05:00

Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

I have three computers - 1 Laptop that runs WinXP; An old desktop that has both W98 and W2000 and my latest desktop which has Vista. Have to say I am not fond of Vista and much prefer WXP. However, my favourite for stableness is W2000. I am interested to see what others think of the new Win7. I don't think I will be upgrading just yet.
Apparently upgrading from XP to 7 is a massive b*tch. Takes about 8 times as long as it should, and usually tells you you need to reset about 40 times XP is great for me right now, although its likely I'll get a Mac soon.

I learnt my lesson when upgrading from Windows NT/2000 and Windows 95/98 to XP - never, ever upgrade, ever. Always start from scratch, buy a new hard-drive and do a clean install of the newer operating system - keep the old hard-drive as backup, copy over any files you want to keep and do a fresh install of all your old apps. Unless your hardware is less than a year old the chances are the system will still not perform that great because the old motherboard lacks too many newer features that the new OS relies on, or will simply be too under-resourced in processor speed and memory capability. Same applies to Office 2007/8 - if your system runs Office 97 okay then leave it because Office 2008 on an old PC runs like an elephant in treacle. LOL

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 04:49

I have three computers - 1 Laptop that runs WinXP; An old desktop that has both W98 and W2000 and my latest desktop which has Vista. Have to say I am not fond of Vista and much prefer WXP. However, my favourite for stableness is W2000. I am interested to see what others think of the new Win7. I don't think I will be upgrading just yet.

Apparently upgrading from XP to 7 is a massive b*tch. Takes about 8 times as long as it should, and usually tells you you need to reset about 40 times

XP is great for me right now, although its likely I'll get a Mac soon.
I learnt my lesson when upgrading from Windows NT/2000 and Windows 95/98 to XP - never, ever upgrade, ever. Always start from scratch, buy a new hard-drive and do a clean install of the newer operating system - keep the old hard-drive as backup, copy over any files you want to keep and do a fresh install of all your old apps. Unless your hardware is less than a year old the chances are the system will still not perform that great because the old motherboard lacks too many newer features that the new OS relies on, or will simply be too under-resourced in processor speed and memory capability. Same applies to Office 2007/8 - if your system runs Office 97 okay then leave it because Office 2008 on an old PC runs like an elephant in treacle. LOL
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2009 at 04:27

Apparently upgrading from XP to 7 is a massive b*tch. Takes about 8 times as long as it should, and usually tells you you need to reset about 40 times

XP is great for me right now, although its likely I'll get a Mac soon.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Operating systems are for wimps.  I've been doing all this telepathically.

Was it you hacking into my brain and leaving filthy images?

Yeah, that was me, I apologize. Tongue

^ Best laugh of the day for me Padrimaniac. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 12 2009 at 14:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:27

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Vista - not perfect, but it works

I've had some experience with Vista on three computers and I'm not really convinced that it works. Tongue

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:26

Was it you hacking into my brain and leaving filthy images?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:24
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I've had some experience with Vista on three computers and I'm not really convinced that it works. Tongue

I will say something nice about it though.  It's the only Windows that ran Peter Gabriel's Explora program since 3.1, which didn't run that too well.  I might be running some more experiments with it if I haven't been too busy dealing with flood things.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 12 2009 at 14:33
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:21
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:19

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 12 2009 at 14:25
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:16
Windows but the paper and 8 track sounds much better.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2009 at 14:04
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Ubuntu Linux!

Approve <-------Requisite smugface

Tongue  except on 9.10 wicd doesn't play well with hidden SSIDs Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>