FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes with Asia: Bethlehem, PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes with Asia: Bethlehem, PA
    Posted: August 03 2009 at 08:12
I went to see Yes touring with Asia on August 2nd at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA. The show featured a fair amount of surprises and was generally an excellent show from the musicians.

The only problem I had was the seating arrangement. My seats were right behind a walkway, and people were just standing there like morons, and I wanted to scream "there are f**king 3,000 people behind you buddy"!LOL

By the end of the Asia show and beginning of the Yes show people actually sat in their seats. I'll review each show at a time (and I won't mention the horrible seating arrangements).

Asia- 4/5 stars

This show featured a few surprises in addition to the typical "Heat of the Moment" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" and a few other hits. They played "Fanfare For The Common Man" and Carl Palmer had an exceptional drum solo. They had an acoustic version of "Don't Cry" and they played "In The Court of The Crimson King". The playing was excellent from all musicians, and was a great way to start the show.

Yes- 4.5/5 stars

The one thing that many people worry about when seeing Yes now is the new singer Benoit David. He did a great job, and if you close your eyes you're in the 70's. Oliver Wakeman definitely has his dad's chops, but he was not a very good showman, and he looked like a statue the whole time. They had some great improvisations mostly from Steve Howe (who played double duty that night btw). The highlights were "Machine Messiah", "Heart of the Sunrise", "Tempus Fugit", and "Starship Trooper". This was an overall exceptional show.

I just have one story to tell about this concert. About 2 hours before the show my cousin and I walk into the hotel to take a leak, and I see ALAN WHITE just standing there!!! I talked to Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman as well. After the show we go the hotel to use the bathroom before te way home and Geff Downes is just sitting on the couch!! I tried not to look like some nerdy teenager stalking them, but I couldn't help acting like a fanboy.

Anyway, a great show from the bands, but Musikfest needs to work out a better seating arrangement.

4.5/5- music
2/5- seating

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 09:11
hahha.. lucky you.  My wallet is still damp for our attempt to see Yes LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 02:44
Oh dammit!

You got to meet Oliver?!
He's my idol... Well, just behind Rick

Sounds amazing - I love both YES and ASIA, and I hope either come back to Australia...

Thanks for the review
-Joel.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 08:14
You could tell Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman were very pleased by us talking to them because they were simply amazed to have fans. After 40 years of dealing with fans, we could tell Alan White was thinking "go the hell away!!!".

Geoff Downes says hi too, by the wayTongue

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 15:06
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

You could tell Benoit David and Oliver Wakeman were very pleased by us talking to them because they were simply amazed to have fans. After 40 years of dealing with fans, we could tell Alan White was thinking "go the hell away!!!".

Geoff Downes says hi too, by the wayTongue

We went back after the Asia show in Cardiff earlier this year. All had gone, except Downes, who had family backstage.

He refused to see us even for a few minutes.AngryCry

Shame, because it was a good show.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply