Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFanboyism in progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 05:32
I think its very important, that most people just do not care that much about art in general.
I you dont care much, you will just crap whatever is around.

On the sociological level there will be a level of "statements" sending, you make a statement about who you are, or rather Who you want others to belive You are, by the art intrests you got. On the psycological level you even send these signals to yourself.
Like if you like to send the signal, that you are the normal famli' father, with a steady income, and a nice pension, on the right side of the law, You prob. wont be listning too death metal on the car radio. 
Or hanging abound with a bunce of PUNK's at the local underground art gallery.

So in most cases having the Avantgarde taste in art, will be coupled with, beeing able to define yourself,
in a way that allows you to stick out from the norm. Something that quite a few would feel rather uncomfortable with, unless they are young and have friends with similar taste. 

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 06:18
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I think its very important, that most people just do not care that much about art in general.

On the sociological level there will be a level of "statements" sending, you make a statement about who you are, or rather Who you want others to belive You are, by the art intrests you got. On the psycological level you even send these signals to yourself.
Like if you like to send the signal, that you are the normal famli' father, with a steady income, and a nice pension, on the right side of the law, You prob. wont be listning too death metal on the car radio. 

So in most cases having the Avantgarde taste in art, will be coupled with, beeing able to define yourself,
in a way that allows you to stick out from the norm. Something that quite a few would feel rather uncomfortable with, unless they are young and have friends with similar taste.

I completely disagree.  Maybe there are people who do define themselves by their taste in art but I am not one of them and I haven't yet met anybody who listens to non-mainstream music or watches arthouse cinema that does so.  Maybe I got lucky, huh?  Anyway, I took interest in rock rather late in my so far short life, during college in fact.  Those who knew me from before that time were a bit taken aback because I used to dismiss rock as noise earlier Embarrassed and they also wondered how much I had changed.  I told them I had only changed the music I listen to and hadn't changed as a person and my still cherubic countenance convinced them that this was indeed the case.  Art is just something that happens to interest me and provoke thought in me.  For somebody else, it could be shopping, could be gadgets, could be cars. To identify oneself with the art one appreciates is dangerous imo, UNLESS you eventually MAKE that art yourself in which case it makes perfect sense.

Oh, and I am a shaky driver and at the same time get too immersed in the music I listen to ever think of listening to death metal or any music I am passionate about while driving.  I would probably play popular radio (or Camel Tongue) just to insulate myself from the cacophony of horns on the road in rush hour.  Everybody who knows me in person will tell you I am a normal chap and I am on the right side of the law. In fact I didn't take up audit practise after becoming a certified accountant because I am uncomfortable about being pressurized by companies to sign cooked books. And wait, a good friend of mine listens to tons more of death metal than me and he's as much of a nice guy as I am.  Extending your logic, every death metal fan should be a closet anti social thug and I don't think that is the case. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 06:33
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I completely disagree.  Maybe there are people who do define themselves by their taste in art but I am not one of them and I haven't yet met anybody who listens to non-mainstream music or watches arthouse cinema that does so.  Maybe I got lucky, huh?  Anyway, I took interest in rock rather late in my so far short life, during college in fact.  Those who knew me from before that time were a bit taken aback because I used to dismiss rock as noise earlier Embarrassed and they also wondered how much I had changed.  I told them I had only changed the music I listen to and hadn't changed as a person and my still cherubic countenance convinced them that this was indeed the case.  Art is just something that happens to interest me and provoke thought in me.  For somebody else, it could be shopping, could be gadgets, could be cars. To identify oneself with the art one appreciates is dangerous imo, UNLESS you eventually MAKE that art yourself in which case it makes perfect sense.

Oh, and I am a shaky driver and at the same time get too immersed in the music I listen to ever think of listening to death metal or any music I am passionate about while driving.  I would probably play popular radio (or Camel Tongue) just to insulate myself from the cacophony of horns on the road in rush hour.  Everybody who knows me in person will tell you I am a normal chap and I am on the right side of the law. In fact I didn't take up audit practise after becoming a certified accountant because I am uncomfortable about being pressurized by companies to sign cooked books. And wait, a good friend of mine listens to tons more of death metal than me and he's as much of a nice guy as I am.  Extending your logic, every death metal fan should be a closet anti social thug and I don't think that is the case. 
I dont disagree, I was only talking about a level of statement sending, not that it would often qualify
as the only reason anyone would like a particular band/style ect. ; will me many other factors involved
and the most important will and should offcourse be that you like the music/painting/book/film.

That said if you think its not at all about message sending, take a look around you whenever you are 
attending a concert, i think you will pick up a few people there uniformed in a way similar to the style of music.  

Edited by tamijo - September 06 2009 at 06:39
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 06:46

That said if you think its not at all about message sending, take a look around you whenever you are 
attending a concert, i think you will pick up a few people there uniformed in a way similar to the style of music.  

THAT is completely different from the example you gave earlier.  Wearing band t shirts and headbanging and moshing is just harmless fun.  Refusing to be a normal guy and a good father is not!  At any rate, it's at least a little more serious than that, regardless of whether the consequences of this are negative or not.  People identify themselves with the band during a gig to lose themselves in the reverie, makes it easier that way for some folks.  But these people are not going to make, say, their Iron Maiden fanhood the one talking point of their lives wherever they go.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 06:59

Maby You are right, hopefully You are.

Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 10:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It depends on how the styles are mixed.  If it's done in an extremely gimmicky and patchy manner, it won't really take the genre forward. On the other hand, if done well, it could open up new possibilities  and directions for the genre.  It's interesting that you think of power metal as a genre working in isolation because I haven't really felt THAT to be the case at all; it has broken off a bit from the rest of metal but it also absorbs a lot of influence from non-metal music.  The problem with power metal today is that it's very cool for a lot of extreme metal fans to profess how much they hate it and this means you don't have enough interest being created in the genre and perhaps even new, promising talent coming in.  I don't know much about power metal but I know some people who do and they say there hasn't been a really good new power metal album in a while and this could be because of the antagonistic attitude of people in 'clubs' of other genres.  

It would be great if you bring up specific examples w.r.t that last sentence Smile because I personally don't think it's feasible beyond a point to keep coming out with fresh and interesting material whilst pretending that the rest of music doesn't exist; it would work for the first few years when the genre in itself is nascent and fresh but once the style is settled, it could lead to albums sounding terribly similar and familiar. 

My first example with the last sentence is Averse Sefira. They have made comments in interviews like "I wish those sort of bands would just go play death metal" or "I take other genres with a grain of salt" in interviews, to badly paraphrase them. It's just my humble opinion, but I find them to be a terrific band, and quite innovative. However, let me address the rest of the post:

I never meant it was good for genres to work in complete isolation. I don't even know if that is possible. However, you still need to establish a strong identity that is independent of other influences. I think the fragmentation of metal serves this purpose, and when I say a band is solidly in one genre, I don't mean that absolutely nothing creeps in (I hear classical ideas/aesthetics in averse sefira for example), but rather that they don't overtly take from other genres. What seems to work for metal is taking a little bit from other genres and then running with it.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2009 at 11:20
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

when I say a band is solidly in one genre, I don't mean that absolutely nothing creeps in (I hear classical ideas/aesthetics in averse sefira for example), but rather that they don't overtly take from other genres. What seems to work for metal is taking a little bit from other genres and then running with it.

Thanks for the recommendation, firstly, never heard of them before.  Now, as for fragmentation, what you suggest seems reasonable but I think fragmentation in metal goes well beyond that and as ToasterMantis mentioned, there are sub-sub-sub genres where we get into very narrowly defined styles combined with a fanatic fanbase that insists that bands rigidly stick to such a style.  That is what I think could be detrimental. I would of course have to sample Averse Sefira to make sure that you and I are not perhaps talking about the same thing because it could be that what they are up to is perfectly acceptable to me - in terms of originality, that is, likeability is a subjective issue anyway - and not what I would consider as focusing too much on one style. 
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2009 at 12:46

I got into this site at 2006 recognizing strong sketches of fanboyims on my behaviour, and went out one year later because most of the rest seemed applying the same principles to me and I didn't stand that. Just curious I see mostly new blood postin' over here, while well-known hidden fanboys are now staying away.

Best thread ever.

PEACE.
The best you can is good enough...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 13:50
Interesting discussion tamijo and rogerthat have been having... the reason I didn't drop in that this week I've been really business with college-related activities.

Anyway, to that entire business about people's musical tastes being dictated by their identity and the social statements they wanna make I think there's some grain of truth to that but it's nowhere as simple. I do think that the entire institutions of "the classics" and on the opposite end of the axis "the avant-garde" play a role in what tamijo said, especially but definitely not exclusively in genres that have an associated subcultural identity. That's definitely a factor and this isn't just in music... a while ago I read a column in the book review section of Information (a Danish newspaper) about the Japanese author Haruki Murakami that explained his success as being that he was far enough out of the mainstream to appeal to yuppies who want to think of themselves as more sophisticated than the "hoi polloi" but not so downright out-of-left-field to completely throw those people off.  LOL

On the other hand... well, well, well. A lot of people probably have that compulsion, and it does often make sense to generalize from people's general (sub)cultural tastes but that's rarely a complete picture. I've met people surprised to find out I listened to Eurythmics as well as people surprised to find out I listened to Motörhead. Confused I basically think most people will be able to synthesize their own opinions on music and art in general at some point independent of any identity-dictating canon or at least distance themselves from the formative stage as they get older... could be getting more narrow taste, wider tastes or more refined in the sense of for example listening to more different genres and moods but having a higher standard for quality, however that is defined.

It's probably more accurate to say that people's musical/literary/cinematic tastes are products of their personalities and the personality includes things like social identity.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 09 2009 at 14:59
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 03:32
Yes that might be the way to include both the fact, that you are often able to detect some clues about peoples music taste from their social ID, and the fact that when you take a closer look, it often turns out
that its a bit more complicated than that. 
Repner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 22:54
This reminds me of someone that used to go on another site I used to go on. A die hard avant garde fan. 

Main annoyance with him is he was one of those "This is good music.  This isn't." types that ram his opinion down your throat. I swear he fished for reasons to dislike bands, because his excuses were very desperate to say the least. Anyway he had this strong hatred for prog due to it all basically "all being the same."

Wacko  Yeah.  You read right.  I mean fair enough if he isn't a fan of it.  A lot of people aren't anyway.  But he was essentially what people usually consider a "prog fan stereotype" (rants about how his taste is superior etc etc), only as an avant garde fan instead

Edited by Repner - October 08 2009 at 22:58
la Volpe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 21:10
Well one good example of fanboyism is Progarchives. Everyone trying to put in the list their favourite non-prog band just because they would die if they had to acknowledge they like something that is not progressive rock...
Sleepy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2009 at 03:56
Originally posted by la Volpe la Volpe wrote:

Well one good example of fanboyism is Progarchives. Everyone trying to put in the list their favourite non-prog band just because they would die if they had to acknowledge they like something that is not progressive rock...
Sleepy

Yeah, it was mentioned a couple of time earlier by Raff. It's the categories "proto-prog" and "prog-related" that are good ideas in theory and useful but in practice often end up functioning as weasel-words... at the same time, there are some bands I'm surprised aren't on the archives (Soundgarden, for example) but maybe that's a subject for another thread and even then I'm not sure if I care enough to make a bit fuss about it. I mean, haven't we have enough "exactly what is progressive rock" threads?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2009 at 03:57
Originally posted by Repner Repner wrote:

This reminds me of someone that used to go on another site I used to go on. A die hard avant garde fan. 

Main annoyance with him is he was one of those "This is good music.  This isn't." types that ram his opinion down your throat. I swear he fished for reasons to dislike bands, because his excuses were very desperate to say the least. Anyway he had this strong hatred for prog due to it all basically "all being the same."

Wacko  Yeah.  You read right.  I mean fair enough if he isn't a fan of it.  A lot of people aren't anyway.  But he was essentially what people usually consider a "prog fan stereotype" (rants about how his taste is superior etc etc), only as an avant garde fan instead

Just curious: What's the kind of "avant-garde" music he listened to? Really experimental noise rock and stuff like that?
Repner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 21:05
Yeah actually.  That would be an example.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 19:22
For me, I like to call it "Dreamtheaterfanboyism" 

Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 23:19
Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

I think prog fans ought to get out and become elitist in other genres and then come back to prog. I left prog and became a metalhead of the obnoxiously arrogant sort when I was younger. It is true that metalheads are a bunch of genre chauvinists. Interestingly, lots of metalheads are also interested in classical music because they see it as a relevant genre, kind of like proggers except metalheads often bizarrly shun jazz. Anyways,I swear being a metal elitist for 2 years really helped me exand my musical ideas and so when I came back to prog (although deep down I still see metal as a superior genre) I actually had a far more open mind. Interestingly, I feel that somehow this opened the door for me to reaccept pop music, although I don't know exactly how. I guess my point is that if you just forget about prog for a couple years, you will come back much more openminded.

To the best of my recollection, I had an experience as a metalhead (ether in the 1980s or '90s) of wondering off into other genres for a good long stretch of time and then going back to metal, and finding the energy of the music to be enhanced or revitalized. There's a benefit.

No elitism is necessary to me. Just self honesty and giving ones self the permission to wonder.
kglenz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 19:38
Call it what you want - but some music does have superior qualities due to technical musicianship & theory. Art is not all the same (other than the meaninglessness) just as not all math problems are not equal. Socrates spoke of "opinion" not of equal validity. Opinion based upon fact is better. It's OK if disco or Pearl Jam is your thing, but don't try to equate a work on the same level technically/mathematically/ theoretically if it is not. It is not about elitism - it is about standing up and recognizing publicly & socially where others seem to be blinded. It's about giving credit due to artists that have poured their time & sweat into crafting a medium that touches one to the core. It's about righteous anger when some "act" sells millions due to a video vs. a group of artists that are bringing down the house due to ability and heart, touring the highways & byways to promote a legitimate standard over some teen one hit wonder fad. I prize this claim, I am a fanatic about people bending the air for peaceful social gatherings & talented sharing of hearts & minds. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 19:31
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

People insisting that other sub-genres of rock'n'roll don't have proficient musicianship or ambitious concepts at all.

Treating progressiveness or stylistic complexity as something that's good in itself rather than as a means to an end.

Endless nitpicking over what's "really" progressive and what isn't, which starts to look like an excuse to dismiss artists and albums out of hand if they don't live up to some arbitrary and possibly revisionistic standard of what progression really is.

Whenever someone doesn't like progressive rock, it's treated as a sign of either some malicious conspiracy or stupidity on part of whatever group of people that's perceived as not appreciating progressive rock enough.

Only really liking music from other genres (e. g. jazz, metal) on the condition of how much it resembles (or is influential to) progressive rock.

In general having a very "sacred cow" attitude to artists and albums that are seen as classics of the genre.

Holy Toledo Batman ... and I didn't even write all this!

I usually say that people that do this usually have very little taste in music ... by the time you hear a lot more music and different kinds, usually the first thing to go is labels ... but those who can not listen to Beethoven or Bach and have no idea of what music is all about are the ones that are defining "progressive" music ... and most of them can not even see, or understand what the time and place was all about that brought the music up on its own in the first place.

It's really sad, and although I hate to say ... "uneducated" ... in the end, it is ... and specially so when the defense is their favorites, not a music discussion or art discussion!  ... it's KC and the jagged guitar ... not anything else ... and has very little to do with "progressive music" on top of it! And like Keith didn't learn from the classics! Right!

Edited by moshkito - February 14 2011 at 21:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 20:11
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

.... For example, a Star Wars fanboy would watch The Bridge on the River Kwai because Alec Guinness is in it and The Dam Busters because George Lucas said it inspired the space battles in Star Wars, but not bother with other WW2 movies because they don't have anything to do with Star Wars.

Or you can use the recent one ... about little bits and pieces of music that Keith or Tony did ... as if no one ever had done anything like it ... and the best one I ever heard is not even in rock music, or jazz ... it's in Tosca, Act 2 in the opening sequence, where a violin in the background does a couple of single notes going downwards on the scale ... and my visual identification for it? ... easy ... it's as if they were tears falling down the singer's face as he sangs the aria ... there is not a whole lot in rock music I have ever heard that is as good as that ... maybe a couple of things Keith Jarrett has done, or Terje Rypdal or Egberto Gismonti, or Amon Duul 2 ... but the rest? ... not worth the mention because here you can only quote Tony, Keith, Rick and all th rest is crap and not good enough!

Sorry Keith or Tony or anyone else ... but very little is anywhere as pretty or as subtle as that ... and so beautiful. It takes a movie to bring it out, because you would not be able to see it on stage, and on a CD ... it's a lost cause with these 3 minute rock and prog fans! The hard part is teaching these commercial music "fans" that there is music, and then there is stuff that sells to make you think that it is good or better ... and you still go by Lady Gaga or some other "star" because they must be good if they are on TV and your progressive faves aren't.

... It's bad enough that rock'n'roll fandom often lapses into dogmatism and overtly nostalgic reverence for the past when it's supposed to be irreverent and iconoclastic and not holding anything sacred... but when fans of a sub-genre that stands for thinking even further outside the box show this many symptoms of having a really narrow perspective, I think we need to take a good look at ourselves. ...

Like your mom doesn't look at Elvis or James Dean?

It's the American way ... it's all TV and make sure you follow it and stay on it, and kiss the stars ... and many of us do exactly the same thing with "progressive music" ... many of us do not know anything else in life ... it's all they know, so me, or you, saying anything about it, is many times futile and frustrating ... not to mention fruitless because you end up getting trashed by a dog or a cat!

... To go back to the stuff I mentioned about this also being aimed at myself, I can point to that thread I made a long time ago that applauded Neil Young for having a song that sounded vaguely like King Crimson. From my current perspective, of course, that thread looks ridiculous. Apples and oranges, isn't that what they say?

Tha's actually acceptable to me, since Neil is quite free form and does his own thing and even at his age, he has not given up and still stands with us ... the difference being that he does what he does, and London is not the boss ... or the imperialist!

Neil has always been a bit of a Fripp, not necessarily with his guitar, but with his voice ... and that is something that is hard to do, and sometimes it is laughed at as ... not singing ... which was the first thing everyone said when he went solo the first time alone on a piano! In the end, he is a true American artist, and deserves the credit for the amount of work and vision. He is one of the few that never quit!  And that is a lot more that can be said for Genesis, KC, ELP or Pink Floyd! ... and on top of it? ... Neil still sold!

To me, in the end, this is a reflection of the leadership ... and the people they select to work with/for them ... and nepotism has been around forever ... people still choosing people that agree with them, because they do not think that they can not gain from a different opinion ... they never studied mathematics or science, enough to realize that is not true at all, btw! .... and we do not have to discuss leadership!

Edited by moshkito - February 14 2011 at 21:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>