Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix and Arthur Brown Supergroup.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix and Arthur Brown Supergroup.
    Posted: August 05 2009 at 16:15
Two years before E.L.P was formed Hendrix was interested in joining up with Arthur Brown to form a supergroup.
This is what Arthur had to say about it:

‘’One day Jimi’s road manager, Tony Garland, took me over to Jimi’s hotel apartment and Jimi asked me if I would be interested in joining him.
The idea was to have the three guys from the Experience plus me on vocals and my organist Vincent Crane. He said he felt he’d gone as far as he could with a three-piece and wanted to extend the music. He was also planning huge projection screens and backing tapes of music by Wagner, all kinds of things to open up the visual side and the spiritual side. My band was falling apart, but I really didn’t want to just be part of someone else’s group, so it never happened.’’

I think that band would have been more interesting than H.E.L.P.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 16:17
^I definitely agree, that would have been very awesome.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 16:24
That would have had amazing potential.  Agreed - far more than HELP, which I think might have been dubbed, eventually, by Hendrix lovers particularly, "HELP! I've fallen and I can't get up".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 18:28
Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

I really didn’t want to just be part of someone else’s group

The audacity! It was Jimi Freaking Hendrix! Atleast AB'sKC made some good records after that decision.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 21:57
Hate to be contrarian, but I don't think this would've been such a great idea.  I don't know the time context here, but if it was original Experience + AB + Vincent Crane don't see it working.  Now if it was a year or so later, AB + Jimi moving toward his more funky sound + Vincent moving toward his more funky sound, maybe, but then of course don't see AB doing that. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Canprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 10:43
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Hate to be contrarian, but I don't think this would've been such a great idea.  I don't know the time context here, but if it was original Experience + AB + Vincent Crane don't see it working.  Now if it was a year or so later, AB + Jimi moving toward his more funky sound + Vincent moving toward his more funky sound, maybe, but then of course don't see AB doing that. 

I dissagree I think it would have been awesome.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 12:06
Well I like the thought of an Arthur Brown Jimidom Come experience: the Galactic Gypsys Dossier album

Edited by Logan - August 06 2009 at 12:07
Just a fanboy passin' through.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

I disagree, AB was very into psychedelic rock as well as the funky thing, so was hendrix.  But with that setup and that time period for both bands would end with an awesome psychedelic rock album in my opinion.
Alberto Muńoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2009 at 18:23
Thinking of this "Super Duper" groups: how about Jimi joining forces with Colosseum

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2009 at 04:34
That's an awesome group.

He also was going to make a band with Miles Davis ShockedSly Stone & Brian Jones.Separate bands of course

Very popular guy.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 12:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Well I like the thought of an Arthur Brown Jimidom Come experience: the Galactic Gypsys Dossier album

That''s a bit tacky, but then, Jimi was no prude and everyone can see him on display years later anyway ...

Arthur Brown was in his own corner and he probably did not care for fame as much as he was more interested in whatever musical trip he wanted to get into.

Would Jimi have been good with Crane and Brown? Probably better than Miles or some of the stuff he did later that was not really as good as his earlier stuff ... somehow all of a sudden he was into "blues" ... when before there were no "blues"  ... it was clean cut, pure rock ... yes, radio minded and such ...

I think, or like to think, that if Jimi had lived and become an old man like you and I, he, more than likely would have branched out and by the time he would have heard a Manuel Gottsching just improvising with Klaus Schulze, I bet you that he would say ... I can do that ... better! ... and he would! And it would be fun for him to do just that ...

But history, at least according to Mitchell, Redding and other musicians that played with him suggest that he would be gone on his own and many of these people did not know where to go ... Miles was easy ... he just kept the beat going ... not music! Just a beat! Sorry ... that is not blues ... that's inadequate musicianship! And I think that it placed too much of a demand on Jimi performing, which so far he had handled.

A suggestion like that by Brown, or Crane, would actually not be a bad thing, but one thing Jimi would have learned quickly ... these are well studied musicians and they know what they are doing ... and I think he would have enjoyed playing with them for a while ... but I doubt that he would have stuck with them for long. Crane was not a good enough improvisationlist at all ... and I doubt that he would have been able to work with Jimi as well as it was hoped.

There is also a story that Bo Hansson and Jimi played together many times, and if that is the case, that was a keyboard player that would have done well with Jimi and been able to add color to the music ... but it was not to happen and it's all conjecture now ... and everyone wants a piece of Jimi ...

Yeah there are so many stories out there ... funny, Arthur has talked about Jimi, but never talked about Klaus ... maybe he should talk about Marianne ... or even ... ohh well, who the fudge cares ... was the sex any good?

Edited by moshkito - August 11 2009 at 12:25
Cosmic Chris Wizz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2009 at 11:04
Smile They, because I'm old enough to remember, I was there, like and one of Jimi's straight friends lovers, were going to actually have been called B.E.L.C.H, -------- Brown, Emerson, Lulu, Clapton and Hendrix. A supergroup. At the recitals they sounded a lot like Metallica if the supermetagroup had included Courtney Love. Of course, they were atrocious, typical of the 60s more zany ideas promoted by people like Hendrix when they were whacked up on scooby snacks.Tongue  
 Post Reply Post Reply