Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSalon des musiques progressives du Québec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 21:41
Originally posted by Tsevir Leirbag Tsevir Leirbag wrote:

I can see you're from Québec! Smile Yeah, I agree with what you said. I'm now trying to add June Wallack to this site. Offenbach, I think it's already here (it must!). Robert Charlebois has some prog elements but he had different eras where he made different music.
Aren't you the one who posted Octobre's L'oiseau Rouge and Charlebois' Québec Love or Tout écartillé (I don't remember) on YouTube? Tongue And I'm not sure if you knew but Raoûl Duguay also participated to Maneige's Les porche. Bienvenue sur le site!

Yes I'm the one, for Octobre and Maneige's videos. Good luck about June Wallack, and also Offenbach because they aren't in Prog Archives ! 

Michel.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 22:08
Originally posted by MichelNeurophile MichelNeurophile wrote:

I can see you're from Québec! Smile Yeah, I agree with what you said. I'm now trying to add June Wallack to this site. Offenbach, I think it's already here (it must!). Robert Charlebois has some prog elements but he had different eras where he made different music.
Aren't you the one who posted Octobre's L'oiseau Rouge and Charlebois' Québec Love or Tout écartillé (I don't remember) on YouTube? Tongue And I'm not sure if you knew but Raoûl Duguay also participated to Maneige's Les porche. Bienvenue sur le site!

Yes I'm the one, for Octobre and Maneige's videos. Good luck about June Wallack, and also Offenbach because they aren't in Prog Archives ! 

Michel.

Offenbach? Not here!? Shocked It's a crime Tongue I'll have to suggest it. I don't think I'll have problems with Wallack.
Gab
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 04:50

Michel.

Offenbach? Not here!? Shocked It's a crime Tongue I'll have to suggest it. I don't think I'll have problems with Wallack.
Gab

Jude Wallack.... are you ready to write her bio??? I will open the artiste entry page with your bio of her andthen you can add her album(s)

Offenbach is trickier .... we already had a hard time convincing with Octobre, soooooo you can imagine that Offenbach will be tougher, despite their first two albums..... We'll ask for prog related soopn

Beau Dommage, we've done the demand for prog-related, but let"s face it, outside Bois Filion, there isn't much prog
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
DRACCA View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 07:57
Everything by Harmonium. Conventum too. This may sound pretentious but I have often enjoyed playing Harmonium during a snow blizzard with a view from a window.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 10:53
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Michel.

Gab

Jude Wallack.... are you ready to write her bio??? I will open the artiste entry page with your bio of her andthen you can add her album(s)

Offenbach is trickier .... we already had a hard time convincing with Octobre, soooooo you can imagine that Offenbach will be tougher, despite their first two albums..... We'll ask for prog related soopn

Beau Dommage, we've done the demand for prog-related, but let"s face it, outside Bois Filion, there isn't much prog

LOL Yeah, for Beau Dommage, I agree. For Offenbach, I understand.
For June Wallack: I'm now working on Medeski, Martin & Wood's (Jazz-Rock/Fusion) bio, but soon as I'm finished with this one, I'll start Wallack's. Is it good? Smile
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 04:51

Michel.

Gab

For June Wallack: I'm now working on Medeski, Martin & Wood's (Jazz-Rock/Fusion) bio, but soon as I'm finished with this one, I'll start Wallack's. Is it good? Smile

Fine with me

BTW, Ken is working on Garolou's inclusion
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 14:10

Michel.

Gab

Fine with me

BTW, Ken is working on Garolou's inclusion

Great. Smile Garolou's another fantastic band. I got to admit that I'm surprised though. Was it tough to convince people of their progginess? Tongue
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 14:43
I may have missed it, but why no Talisma???

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 25 2009 at 15:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 14:51
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I may have missed it, but why no Talisma???

Only because I didn't heard of them before now. Tongue
What do they sound like?
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 19:13

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Harmonium, Maneige, Miriodor ClapClapClapClapClapClap

All great.  Only one album each by the first two, but both incredible.  Have 2 Miriodor album, saw them live at NF '03 preshow.  Great, great band.

I will miss Miriodor's gig at the Gésu, Montréal because it was too much expensive; this month, I already paid 95$ to see Excubus, Rouge Ciel, DFA and Le Orme on a saturday. Miriodor is playing on the next day and it costs 35, if I remember well.
How were they live?

They were fantastic.  They were the first of three bands, and the next two (Izz and some fusion band who's name I can't recall) seemed a real let down in comparison (and Izz is a great band).  They are Avante/RIO, but very melodic.  Would love to see them again, but I'm far from Quebec myself Cry

You mean Miriodor or Izz when you say you'd like to see them again? Tongue

Heh, I have seen Izz since then, great band.  But I meant Miriodor.  I'd love to see them again.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 19:17

Harmonium, Maneige, Miriodor ClapClapClapClapClapClap

All great.  Only one album each by the first two, but both incredible.  Have 2 Miriodor album, saw them live at NF '03 preshow.  Great, great band.

I will miss Miriodor's gig at the Gésu, Montréal because it was too much expensive; this month, I already paid 95$ to see Excubus, Rouge Ciel, DFA and Le Orme on a saturday. Miriodor is playing on the next day and it costs 35, if I remember well.
How were they live?

They were fantastic.  They were the first of three bands, and the next two (Izz and some fusion band who's name I can't recall) seemed a real let down in comparison (and Izz is a great band).  They are Avante/RIO, but very melodic.  Would love to see them again, but I'm far from Quebec myself Cry

You mean Miriodor or Izz when you say you'd like to see them again? Tongue

Heh, I have seen Izz since then, great band.  But I meant Miriodor.  I'd love to see them again.

O.k. I wish you'll see them again one of these days. Smile
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 20:08
Garolou is perhaps mpre folk prog than prog folk, but our team was pretty unanimous on including them.  Now if I could just find some decent information!

I grew up in Quebec in the 70s, an Anglophone Montrealer listening to CHOM-FM as the DJs switched from French to English and back in the same sentence.  I also enjoyed CKOI.  I was more partial to the folkier groups like Garolou, Barde, Reve du Diable, but also enjoyed Seguin, Harmonium, Beau Dommage.  I had more trouble with Offenbach and Aut' Chose, just not my thing.  Later I grew to appreciate what I heard from Maneige. 

Of the current Quebecois groups I enjoy Talisma, Kaos Moon, Daniel Gauthier (who should be here).  I also enjoy Orealis, who recorded in the 90s.

Ken
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Garolou is perhaps mpre folk prog than prog folk, but our team was pretty unanimous on including them.  Now if I could just find some decent information!

I grew up in Quebec in the 70s, an Anglophone Montrealer listening to CHOM-FM as the DJs switched from French to English and back in the same sentence.  I also enjoyed CKOI.  I was more partial to the folkier groups like Garolou, Barde, Reve du Diable, but also enjoyed Seguin, Harmonium, Beau Dommage.  I had more trouble with Offenbach and Aut' Chose, just not my thing.  Later I grew to appreciate what I heard from Maneige. 

Of the current Quebecois groups I enjoy Talisma, Kaos Moon, Daniel Gauthier (who should be here).  I also enjoy Orealis, who recorded in the 90s.

Ken

Okay. I'll have to check Barde and Rêve du diable (thanks for those), I don't know them by now. Offenbach is great, in my opinion Wink

I don't know what music was playing on CKOI then, but what I know is that now, they're playing f...... bad music.

Unhappy

Edited by Tsevir Leirbag - August 25 2009 at 20:23
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 20:56
re: Garolou (first known as Lougarou) - I had the good fortune to pick up about 15 RPQ LPs at Spin-It in the last two years. Seems a Universite de Moncton professor has gone through his collection and decided to get rid of some.
Anyway ... I've got Breche, Le Match, l'Engoulevent ... so i wonder why Garolou isn't in as well.
Others that have yet to be mentioned here - Leitmotiv ... if you lwonder what a marriage of  Maneige & Genesis would sound like , this is it. Not much synth or mellotron, with the piano as the main instrument. You can download their album free, and pay for it after if you like it.
Don't forget Etcetera - RPQ's mellow version of Gentle Giant.
Not here yet - Eclipse and Caramel Fou.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
MichelNeurophile View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 20:57

Garolou is perhaps mpre folk prog than prog folk, but our team was pretty unanimous on including them.  Now if I could just find some decent information.(...)
Ken

There is a biography of Garolou at this site :
http://www.qim.com/artistes/biographie.asp?artistid=343

Michel.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 21:27

Garolou is perhaps mpre folk prog than prog folk, but our team was pretty unanimous on including them.  Now if I could just find some decent information.(...)
Ken

There is a biography of Garolou at this site :
http://www.qim.com/artistes/biographie.asp?artistid=343

Michel.

thank you much!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 21:49

Ken

Here's their page on ProgQuébec: http://www.progquebec.com/garolou.html
It includes a bio and their discography.
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 21:53
I can see there's a lot to explore here - I'll be revisiting this thread often!  merci a tout!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 12:05
You'll be welcome. Enjoy! Smile

Michel.

Gab

Sean, I've think about it; I re-listened some Beau Dommage. They HAVE something to do here. At least, their album "Où est passée la noce?" is Prog (or Prog-Related).

Edited by Tsevir Leirbag - August 26 2009 at 18:57
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 19:10
Another artist that should REALLY be added, I think, is Roger Rodier. He only made one album, an obscure gem. Rare are the people who know him. He's doing some kind of Psychedelic/Folk Prog music.

That should give you an idea 'bout how much he made great music.
SUPPORT HIS ADDITION HERE Thumbs Up
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>