Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did you reject Within Temptation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you reject Within Temptation?
    Posted: August 17 2009 at 23:49
I checked your exhaustive list here:

And it was interesting how you rejected Within Temptation - a band I have recently encountered and they are so much like other female symphonic metal bands such as Epica, Nightwish and After Forever, I was wondering why were they rejected?

What is the difference?

Was there a specific reason?

In my opinion they are definitely prog in some way as the music is thematic, blends symphony with metal and even the album covers have prog related elements. The Black Symphony screams prog!

They were featured in the Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine as prog and they are hailed as a prog bands on some websites.

Perhaps you could clear this up as I would definitely put them in the same category as Epica, Nightwish and After Forever which are all prog as you have specified.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - August 17 2009 at 23:51
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 00:24
Absolutely agree, one of my favourite gothic metal bands. And I would place them way over the other 3 bands you mentioned. But then, I am not sure the other bands should be listed either... 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 00:28
Because the votes were tallied and there was more "no"s than "yes"es. Simple math here people.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 00:37

You ok Mike?

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 01:06
Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

Absolutely agree, one of my favourite gothic metal bands. And I would place them way over the other 3 bands you mentioned. But then, I am not sure the other bands should be listed either... 

I agree with the last sentence which I have highlighted with purple text colour. I think there is a general consensus that those bands probably shouldnīt have been added in the first place. Some will think otherwise of course but itīs my assumption that it is a general consensus. But I can see it from the point of view of the one who suggests Within Temptation though. The X and Y factor is definitely hard to come around in cases like these but we just have to accept that each artist is evaluated on their own merits and not because they have striking similarities with already included artists. A bitter pill to swallow sometimes. I know the feeling. Iīve swallowed a couple myself throughout my time here on PA but generally I think the system works pretty well.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 01:38
^ if one makes claims like that I would always be interested in "why". You seem to think that Within Temptation is more Prog than Epica - I wonder whether you know all the albums by those two bands?

Ok, I think it makes sense to mention two things here which may be important:

1. Nightwish had been on this website long before the prog metal team was founded. Had they been discussed for addition at the same time as Within Temptation, my guess is that they would have been rejected as well.
2. The decision to reject Within Temptation was made long before Black Symphony was released. To be honest, I haven't heard it ... but if it does feature a successful blend of orchestra and (metal) band, then I think they should be added.
3. In order to understand why bands are here it always makes sense to look at their most progressive output. Someone might have heard the last two albums of After Forever and wonder why they're here - Invisible Circles is the album to listen to. With Epica you'd have to listen to the last two releases (and Score, a 100% classical film score like album).
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 13:28
I don't believe they have been proposed for Prog related yet..
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 19:35
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

I agree with the last sentence which I have highlighted with purple text colour. I think there is a general consensus that those bands probably shouldnīt have been added in the first place. Some will think otherwise of course but itīs my assumption that it is a general consensus. But I can see it from the point of view of the one who suggests Within Temptation though. The X and Y factor is definitely hard to come around in cases like these but we just have to accept that each artist is evaluated on their own merits and not because they have striking similarities with already included artists. 

All these comments posted here thus far are valid in some way but especially the above quote.

There seems to be an inconsistency in rating what should and what should not be included in the archives here. Within Temptation is a prog band in as many ways that Epica is prog due to the subgenre of music that is female lead operatic, symphonic, blending metal and orchestra and features a strange lyrical and thematic content that fits within the prog label.

I do not like labelling either but if theres a subgenre within prog that is 'symphonic metal' (featuring a female artist on lead vocals) then these bands must be included as they are all in this category - I speak of Epica, Nightwish, After Forever and er.... Within Temptation.

It is pure logic, not mathematical, to assume that Within Temptation is in this category therefore as prog as the rest. At least include them as prog related - listen to Black Symphony and tell me that's not prog!
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 22:19

In 95% of the cases the team that originally evaluated a band proposes them to another genre/section when rejected.

I see no indication of a further proposition but it may happen in the near future... 

Guigo

~~~~~~
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 22:45
Thanks.

I think it is worth considering in the future.

I noticed Sunn O))) finally got recognition too! They are prog - i don't like them but there's no denying the way they play is prog.
NaughtyShrink View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:17
WHAT?! You based it on a freaking vote?! What are you? Retards? Listen, it's clear that someone here lacks a proper understanding of what prog.-rock is (which btw is quite outrageous for a site calling themselves www.progarchives.com). While Nightwish is definately NOT prog.-rock, Within Temptation undoubtfully is. I, btw, don't agree to them being very similar; they're playing in two quite different genres for crying out loud!

When all that's out of my mind, I think Within Temptation fits better into the "Symphonic Prog.-Rock" genre than the Metal one, but that's just my opinion anyways...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:19
Someone here definitely lacks a proper understanding of how to behave in a public space. Stern Smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:21
Oh, you actually have a subgenre called "symphonic metal prog.-rock", good gracious, that's got to be made for Within Temptation, I mean seriously have you guys even listened to any of their recent albums, if so then that only tells something about your own ignorance and incompetence.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:26
Quote Someone here definitely lacks a proper understanding of how to behave in a public space. Stern Smile

I don't really care about what you think of my behaviour, because:

1. It's completely irrelevant to the subject.
2. I have a right to be a little bit angry about something as tragical as this.
3. To be heard, you sometimes have to scream out aloud instead of just posting some stupid submessage "hello, could you please put up WT?" As if they'd even consider it then, especially when it's already been up for voting once.

Edited by NaughtyShrink - November 21 2009 at 10:29
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:31
Actually here on PA it's the complete opposite on all three counts. You've just made your cause look bad, now that is what I'd call... whatever names you've called. LOL
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:34
Keep it civil please. Insulting and abusive statements do not further your cause, indeed they simply alienate people towards you.

We are proud of having a friendly and enjoyable site here, you're welcome to stick around if you can go along with that.

As mentioned before, we have not been asked to consider them for prog related yet.....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:35
Actually, you'll have a better chance of succeeding by being polite.  Think about it.  How do you react to people whose first contact with you is hostility?

You may be right about the subject, I don't know, I've rarely heard them.  But have a civil conversation please. 
Instead of calling them incompetent, which is dead wrong btw, make your case clearly and with detail about why you feel they belong.  If you behave well, you'll be heard.   

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:44
Well, sorry to tell you then, but isn't this some kind of meeting spot for prog.-fans? If you absolutely want me to start yapping then I actually have a lot more complaints about absurdities on this site. Bands like for instance Mew and Black Sabbath aren't prog. If you had asked them personally, I bet they'd say no, I mean come on, Mew isn't even rock, I like their music quite alot, but it's pop-music of the same genre as Coldplay.

And btw, those three counts doesn't have anything to do with PA, but with the world wide web in general, and thereby thay also apply to this site. The last count is a small trick called a psychological factor, nr. 1 is true, no matter how much you try to deny it, and about nr. 2 there is no law against that, and even if I get banned I don't even have to get a new email adress to create a new account. Believe me, I can be quite persistent.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:45
ok, I guess I'll be a little more considerate in the future... 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 10:48
I wish Toto was in PA but they have been rejected 12 times Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>