Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy isn't progressive trance on this site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:09
Aphex Twin isn't prog electronic. 
g0rd0nb0mbay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by StrengthandWisdom StrengthandWisdom wrote:

no but "mind in a box" are :\ , is anyone else starting to think this is a joke poster?
StrengthandWisdom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 20:58
Originally posted by g0rd0nb0mbay g0rd0nb0mbay wrote:

no but "mind in a box" are :\ , is anyone else starting to think this is a joke poster?

You moron. Aphex Twin are Ambient/IDM. Mind in a Box are progressive trance/futurepop.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:15

You moron. Aphex Twin are Ambient/IDM. Mind in a Box are progressive trance/futurepop.

For the second time Aphex Twin IS one person. There is nothing progressive about trance music or anything on metropolis records.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:18

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I would agree, but the Prog Electronic team doesn't like '90s electronica so it's not happening. Not even for Aphex Twin!

ShockedCry If there are any modern electronic bands that should be added, Aphex Twin would be first on my list.
Aphex Twin isnt a band Tongue but him,squarepusher.autechre,boards of canada etc.. would certainly be welcome additions to the prog-electronic family!!
A one man band is still a band, I don't know why people get so pedantic over this. Yes, you shouldn't say Aphex Twin are, but singling that out just makes things inconvenient to talk about.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:18
I would like to see Aphex and squarepusher on here.There's so many good progressive dance bands but I imagine the shymphonic prog fans would throw a fit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:21

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I would agree, but the Prog Electronic team doesn't like '90s electronica so it's not happening. Not even for Aphex Twin!

ShockedCry If there are any modern electronic bands that should be added, Aphex Twin would be first on my list.
Aphex Twin isnt a band Tongue but him,squarepusher.autechre,boards of canada etc.. would certainly be welcome additions to the prog-electronic family!!
A one man band is still a band, I don't know why people get so pedantic over this. Yes, you shouldn't say Aphex Twin are, but singling that out just makes things inconvenient to talk about.

sorry man,i dont mean to come across as pedantic, its just a pet hate of mine along with people who call aphex "the aphex twins".
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2009 at 21:30
Hmm, from the only Mind in a box song I've heard they kind of remind me of Depeche Mode. Interesting, but I don't know why it should be on PA. The electronic music already on here is completely different, I've been surreptitiously bumping the IDM thread to try to get more interest, but it seems futile. I'm happy with the genres the way they are right now, and they probably aren't going to change any time soon, otherwise I'd like to see some more modern prog electronic additions on PA.
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 14:15

Regardless if that is the genre of not.He's certainly progressive and electronic,that can't be denied.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 20:19
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

Regardless if that is the genre of not.He's certainly progressive and electronic,that can't be denied.

He is fairly eclectic too. He has made piano only songs.
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 02:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

mickstafa is right about 'progressive' having a somewhat different meaning in trance music, I would add that if a music has no detectable or musicologic connection to rock - as opposed to much electronic prog which does - it probably doesn't belong here

You might want to revisit the prog electronic albums listed on this site, the vast majority of which have at best a tenuous connection to rock music. Far, far less than does 90s electronica.

Look, it's as simple as this. There's no logical reason to keep 90s prog electronica out of PA. It's not here because the team responsible for progressive electronic music don't want it here. Remember that this team relegated Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis to prog-related so as not to sully their concept of what progressive electronic is. If that could be widely disseminated we'd avoid these continued requests for popular electronic acts to be considered.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 05:01
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

mickstafa is right about 'progressive' having a somewhat different meaning in trance music, I would add that if a music has no detectable or musicologic connection to rock - as opposed to much electronic prog which does - it probably doesn't belong here

You might want to revisit the prog electronic albums listed on this site, the vast majority of which have at best a tenuous connection to rock music. Far, far less than does 90s electronica.

Look, it's as simple as this. There's no logical reason to keep 90s prog electronica out of PA. It's not here because the team responsible for progressive electronic music don't want it here. Remember that this team relegated Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis to prog-related so as not to sully their concept of what progressive electronic is. If that could be widely disseminated we'd avoid these continued requests for popular electronic acts to be considered.

Seems that prog related has become sort of a ghetto like art rock used to be.  Lots of artists are there that might fit better into other sub-genres if the folks that are on those teams accept them.  Far be it for me to bitch about that.  This site is flexible and if you make a convincing argument for a change of category or an addition, it can happen.  Personally I'd move Jarre and Vangelis and Synergy into progressive electronic.  It's not my call though.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheSubhuman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 09:59
Why? Because far too many members of this site can't act like the adults they are whenever something out of their personal comfort zone is suggested. Most people don't care about genuinely progressive music, but about how much band X or artist Y sounds like the classic Seventies acts - cue the proliferation of threads about how post-rock is not prog, or anything to that effect.

Now, I have no experience of progressive trance (which I regret), but I have experience of listening and reviewing stuff that would probably never set foot on PA, in spite of being a damn sight more interesting (and yes, PROGRESSIVE) than the plethora of sub-par imitators of Yes, Genesis, ELP and what not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12