Topic ClosedForty Years of Italian Progrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 11:49
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Hello Paul.

The Progwalhalla evening was great and late Sleepy ... but it was good to notice that the Italian section (Hostsonaten, Altare Thotemico, N.x.Y., Ainur) got a positive response, not by everybody but that's due to the huge difference in sound these bands present.
At MySpace I have built up a good contact with Italian labels, bands and musicians, I am pleased with the very warm and enthousiastic reactions on my reviews in this PA forum and on Progwalhalla, this turns out to be a perfect progrock connection LOL !
By the way (off topic), I just got an e-mail that my 20 dollars have reached Japan, soon I will receive the Ars Nova Seventh Hell DVD-R, something to look forward to Thumbs Up

Erik, I didn't realise there was a DVD version. Does this contain any video footage or is it just DVD audio?

Glad to hear the evening went well.
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 13:23
Domizia: I already own that new Conqueror album, to my knowledge it's a mini-CD entitled Sprazzi Di Luce, am I right?

Paul: those Progwalhalla evenings are turning out into very well appreciated events with members from Progwalhalla, Background Magazine, iO Pages, DPRP and Prog Archives, music unites Hug
About that Ars Nova DVD-R, see:

Good luck Thumbs Up

For new Italian progrock, see:

Ciao

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 24 2009 at 13:50
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 12:25
Thanks Erik, a live DVD, that explains it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 12:43

Well Paul, I have a new progrock challenge: Dutch progrock
                                      magazine iO Pages, see: http://www.iopages.nl/

In the past I have already written for it (between 1992 and 2004) but five years after I had left iO Pages, last month I was invited to rejoin it in order to write specials about lesser known and unknown progrock bands, about interesting new progrock bands and about progrock DVD's. One of my first projects is to write a special about new Italian progrock Wink and then about Spain (extremely overlooked but good new progrock bands like Estygya and Albatros and captivating and exciting new Rock Andaluz like Taifa, Arabiga, Taifa, Calle Silvio and Mendigo) see: http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~inesta/Prog/New/index.html

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 23 2009 at 12:47
C_Colombo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 01:20
I apologize for interrupting the forum discussion, but on behalf of all the members of Pandora, I'm stopping by to wish you all Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!Thumbs Up

Claudio

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 05:40

Thanks Claudio, Merry Christmas to you and fellow band members and families too. Hope we can have another Pandora album soon!

Also wishing all PA members a Merry Christmas too.

Smile
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2009 at 05:46

Well Paul, I have a new progrock challenge: Dutch progrock
                                      magazine iO Pages, see: http://www.iopages.nl/

In the past I have already written for it (between 1992 and 2004) but five years after I had left iO Pages, last month I was invited to rejoin it in order to write specials about lesser known and unknown progrock bands, about interesting new progrock bands and about progrock DVD's. One of my first projects is to write a special about new Italian progrock Wink and then about Spain (extremely overlooked but good new progrock bands like Estygya and Albatros and captivating and exciting new Rock Andaluz like Taifa, Arabiga, Taifa, Calle Silvio and Mendigo) see: http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~inesta/Prog/New/index.html

Excellent Erik, good luck with your new challenge, I'll look forward to reading your contributions. Just had a quick look at the Spanish prog link but I'll have a good read after Christmas when I have more time.
domizia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 08:21
Hey Erik, how do you keep up with all these top quality engagements? You're a wonder! Buon lavoro (in Italian, "ahve a good working time"). I hope to keep you busy with more RPI soon!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 13:16

Memowakeman: Un prospero ano nuevo con mucho RPI Thumbs Up

Nightfly: A happy 'RPI drenched' 2010 Thumbs Up

Claudio, Pandora and Domizia: Felice Anno Nuovo Thumbs Up

This new year started very well: The promising new Italian progrock band The RedZen has sent me a promo package and today iO Pages (Dutch progrock magazine I recently joined) send me the new Barock Project album entitled Rebus Smile (the successor of their debut CD Misterioso Voci from 2007). I am looking forward to the new Randone album, Domizia, thanks for the compliments and ... I am not religious but if you believe in what you do, it gives you the power and energy you need Ying Yang !

CONQUEROR – Sprazzi Di Luce
- After 3 studio albums between 2003 and 2007, here we have a mini-CD by new Italian formation Conqueror on which 4 tracks (between 3 and 8 minutes): 2 new songs, one cover (from Paolo Morelli) and a live track (2006).
- The first two compositions Sprazzi Di Luce and … E Mi Manchi Tanto start dreamy with flute, Grand piano and wonderful female vocals (Simona Regina, also keyboards), then a slow rhythm and a final part featuring fat synthesizer flights (and vocal harmonies and a saxophone solo in the second song). Next Semplice that sound even more mellow, it is beautifully build around vocals, piano and flute. Finally the longer and live recorded composition Pensieri Fragili, this one delivers Conqueror in its full splendor: lots of dynamics and many shifting moods in the genuine progrock tradition and strong solos on guitar (pretty fiery), saxophone and synthesizer. The contrast between the dreamy parts with flute and more bombastic interludes with heavy guitar riffs and lush keyboards create a pleasant tension, culminating in a compelling conclusion with howling guitar runs and inspired female vocals, great!

Edited by erik neuteboom - January 08 2010 at 16:13
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 17:47

Hope 2010 is a good one for you too Erik. Smile

I already have a few RPI albums on order. Albums from Filoritmia, Metamorfosi and the new Biglietto.

Any idea when the next chapter will appear in your RPI special?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 08:42

Paul, I will ask the Background Magazine team about the forthcoming Chapter 5 (Reunions).
           Today I discovered that Barock Project is not on PA, here's my Progwalhalla review about
           their debut CD:

BAROCK PROJECT – Misteriose Voci

Misteriosevoci
- Website info: The Barock Project idea is born from a desire to spread the finest and perfect structure of classic music (mainly baroque music) with rock-style and a little bit of jazz harmony, all supported by a pop song structure. Our intention is to make relive the '70s progressive-rock love. The musical brainchild of this project is keyboardist Luca Zabbini, pianist and composer at the O.Vecchi musical institute in Modena in Italy. His passion for famous keyboardist Keith Emerson has fueled his desire to play a full range of style, from classical to rock and jazz. Luca is the composer of many songs of the band and since 1990 he played in several bands (rock,blues,funky, as classical pianist, in several jam-sessions). During the summer of 2004 the bass player GB Giorgi and the drummer Giacomo Calabria joined to the band. Giambattista Giorgi, young bassist influenced by rock sounds with big passion for jazz. Giambattista and Luca already played together in 1996 with a progressive tribute band (from ELP to PFM). Giacomo Calabria is a drummer who comes from large experience about progressive music, he is a very good percussionist too and he took the degree at Music University in Rome. Luca Pancaldi sings in several bands since 1996 and in 2001 enter in an Iron Maiden's tribute band called Children Of The Damned. With this band in 2002 he started a long tournee all around Europe with historical Maiden's singer Paul Di'Anno. The Barock Project music is perfect for places like theatres and festivals. In January 2007 the band performed live with a string quartet , with arrangements wrote by Luca Zabbini, at Bologna Theater and filmed a DVD called Rock In Theater. In December 2007 the French label Musea Records released Barock Project their debut CD entitled Misteriose Voci.

- For me the use of the Italian language always gives an extra dimension to the music, just listen to the difference between PFM and Banco in Italian and in English, say no more! On Misteriose Voci new band Barock Project delivers strong Italian vocals with a very pleasant emotional undertone. Their sound is accessible, melodic and loaded with the distinctive Hammond organ (swirling solos in Odio, Premonizioni and especially Gentile Direttore). The colouring and interplay of the guitar (lots of sensitive runs) and keyboards (from warm Grand piano to sumptuous organ and fat synthesizer flights) is very tasteful. In the more mellow parts with twanging acoustic guitar and good vocals Barock Project reminds me of Angelo Branduardi. In the more symphonic rock interludes with omnipresent vintage keyboards I notice strong elements of Dutch pride Trace like in the long Premonizione and in the excellent final track Un Altro Mondo (beautiful conclusion with compelling guitar work and lush keyboards). If you like Italian progrock, this is an album to check out!

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 10:45

Erik, sounds too good to be true! Wink I wonder if they have a myspace site, I'll check them out and give you my verdict.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 15:23

After 7 years, more than 1200 reviews and many threads and posts on the Forum
                I have come to the conclusion that I can't bear any longer that Prog Archives is moving
                more and more towards a Classic Rock Archives and that the band addition policy has
                become too weird and too inconsequent. I don't want to be part of that, even not in this far
                corner. If you want to read my reviews, to send me promo CD's or simply make contact,
                you can find me on:

In English:

In Spanish:

In Dutch:

See also:

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 16:45
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 16:57

After 7 years, more than 1200 reviews and many threads and posts on the Forum I have come to the conclusion that I can't bear any longer that Prog Archives is moving more and more towards a Classic Rock Archives and that the band addition policy has become too weird and too inconsequent.

pretty good trick considering PA has only been online for five years

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 17:01
@Tony and David:

Hug
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 17:03
I hate interrupting my badass assault on the 5th Tank Corp at Kursk... but had to see what what was going on.

How many times has this been...  you'd need two hands to count all the goodbyes we've had from him LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 17:53

I can't bear any longer that Prog Archives is moving
                more and more towards a Classic Rock Archives  

Are all the death metal, black metal, avant-garde metal, stoner rock bands added in PA already belonging to the "classic rock" era ? Time is running so fast !

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2010 at 19:53
yeah...  nothing like failing to have a classy exit and just letting the door hitting you on the ass on the way out... but f**king up your dramatic  exit and letting the door smack you in the head and knock you out cold...

get it right Erik...   it's not 'classic rock' archives... but  technical METAL ARCHIVES!!!!!!!! LOL

Edited by micky - January 10 2010 at 19:53
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567