Topic ClosedIgnored second side of an album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 17:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by tdfloyd tdfloyd wrote:

Pink Floyd's Meddle.  I don't mind the first side but it pales in comparision to the second, so many times I don't play it.  BTW, I don't mess with the order with the exception of  PF's Wish You Were Here.  In the days of cassettes, I recorded the second side first, followed by the first side.  That way you get Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts 6-9, followed by parts 1-5 together.  About 25 minutes of bliss and the rest of the tracks are great too!  

Shocked mess with Floyd and then have the audacity to use their name... Shocked

...I'm going out, I may be gone some time...

CryCryCry

What - messing with the Floyd.  Hmmm - aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh

Hey - you ever tried putting together parts 1-5 with 6-9 straight off on "Shine On.." - eh why parts 6-9 then 1-5 - I feel upside down and inside out - Hey, didn't Rick Wright say that?

But I could mess with Yes - actually I would put my mess on Yes...
PROGMONSTER2008 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 17:56
Aqualung Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 18:24
hahhaha.. how about side 1 of L' Egitto prime delle Sabbie
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 19:12
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Thick as a Brick side 2.

Thank god I have my sedatives handy!!!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 20:32
I'm generally a complete album kind of guy.  If I don't listen to the whole thing I feel sort of incomplete inside.  A good album is not just a set of songs, but one that works also as a whole.  This is not to say all albums are good in that way.  There are a couple of albums I have that I will play on shuffle though, neither prog: Derek and the Dominoes and The UFO Has Landed by Ry Cooder.  For some reason, I like to be surprised by what will come next on either of those.  Skipping tracks is also a rarity for me.  If I like the artists I will tend to like all of their songs, or at least not dislike them.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 21:04
Originally posted by PinkPangolin PinkPangolin wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Pink Floyd's Meddle.  I don't mind the first side but it pales in comparision to the second, so many times I don't play it.  BTW, I don't mess with the order with the exception of  PF's Wish You Were Here.  In the days of cassettes, I recorded the second side first, followed by the first side.  That way you get Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts 6-9, followed by parts 1-5 together.  About 25 minutes of bliss and the rest of the tracks are great too!  

Shocked mess with Floyd and then have the audacity to use their name... Shocked

...I'm going out, I may be gone some time...

CryCryCry

What - messing with the Floyd.  Hmmm - aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh

Hey - you ever tried putting together parts 1-5 with 6-9 straight off on "Shine On.." - eh why parts 6-9 then 1-5 - I feel upside down and inside out - Hey, didn't Rick Wright say that?

But I could mess with Yes - actually I would put my mess on Yes...

I never was a big fan of Pillow of Winds and Fearless and lets face it, Meddle is all about Echoes.  So side 2 was always first.

I loved to listen to WYWH with the headphones on.  If you played the album, those big black 12" discs for the younguns ;-) , side 2 first , you got Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Shine on 6-9.  Then side 1, so Shine On 1-5 and then Welcome to the Machine.  All copied album and played from cassette.  Shine On 1-5 was too slow to start, Have a Cigar was a great starting song, and then the music slowed in pace until it kicked butt again with Welcome to the Machine. 

Rememeber this was an album taping to cassette, not programming the CD.  Also I tried to put Shine On together 1-9 but I could not get the fading right from one track to another for the rest of the album.  So that is why I sinned, I hope all is forgiven.

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 21:55

Normally if I don't like one side, I don't like an album, although Brain Salad Surgery was kind of like that with me. I like the tracks on the first side, don't get me wrong, but Karn Evil 9 is so good the first side to me is kind of boring.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 03:22
Infact i dont often listen to a full album.
Back when i was using records a lot :
Skip Minstrel in the Gallery side 1........ 75-80% of the time, not that i dont like it but i LOVE side 2
Skip Dark side........Money 90% of the time, just move pick-up to second track.
Skip Foxtrot side 1........... 75-80% of the time
ect. ect.

Edited by tamijo - August 29 2009 at 03:23
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 05:21
Okay, I have to say I find some of this crazy.  I mean, when I said early on that I listen often to just side 1 of Tarkus and  A Wizard (and caught a ribbing for it) that was one thing.  Tarkus side 1 stands alone, Wizard side 1 stands alone... makes sense, they're contained concepts.  But, to choose one of the more egregious examples, to not listen to side 2 of Thick as a Brick?!?!?  That I could never think of doing; it's all or nothing, that's a whole piece. 

I guess this thread makes me realize that I'm a purist for the most part.  Even with iTunes, 99% I play whole albums, in order, even if the album is a collection of songs and not some concept through (and when it comes to vinyl, it's time to just leave it alone, play that whole record).  If I don't listen to a whole album in one sitting it's just because of time constraints.  Some days you can't take in all of Tales from Topographic Oceans or Tago Mago at once, so you catch up on it the next day. 

Now there are times when you need to hear that one song; in a case like that I'm not so crazy as to think, well I want to hear that one 6 minute song so I'm going to have to find 40 or more minutes to do it since I'm a slave to the whole record.  And of course there are times when you don't need to hear that one song.  "Money" by Floyd was mentioned above and it's a good example; who, of a certain age, hasn't heard that song enough on the radio over the decades?  That, or say "Stairway to Heaven", can be skipped often, despite their high quality, just due to the over-saturation of my addled ears.  This way, when on occasion I do play them, it's a special event.

P.S. Micky:  Looks like no one got your reference.  Funny though.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 06:38

King Crimson does a very good job at making me ignore side 1.   I usually do that for both Lizard and Islands.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 07:53
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

I totally agree about Tarkus

I totally disagree. Sorry, but Bitches Crystal, the Only Way, Infinite Space and Time and a Place are great side 2 tunes. Admittedly, Jeremy Bender and Are you Ready Eddy are throw aways,  but I think because Tarkus itself is such a powerful piece, it's hard to follow up with single songs on the second side. Had it been a longer piece and taken up more of side two (a la BSS) then maybe it wouldn't be thought of in this way.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 13:15
Sides 3 & 4 of 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. If any double album should have been a single disc, this is it!Disapprove
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 21:06
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I totally disagree. Sorry, but Bitches Crystal, the Only Way, Infinite Space and Time and a Place are great side 2 tunes. Admittedly, Jeremy Bender and Are you Ready Eddy are throw aways,  but I think because Tarkus itself is such a powerful piece, it's hard to follow up with single songs on the second side. Had it been a longer piece and taken up more of side two (a la BSS) then maybe it wouldn't be thought of in this way.

Beat me to it...! Thumbs Up
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 22:19
Originally posted by raindance raindance wrote:

Sides 3 & 4 of 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. If any double album should have been a single disc, this is it!Disapprove
Sweet KeeeRIST!  It just keeps mounting.  Laz, you've quite innocently posted a thread that has brought out something really ugly, something I'd rather not know about.  I've got to unsubscribe from this thread; I'm going to look away.Broken Heart

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

raindance View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 02:13
Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

Sweet KeeeRIST!  It just keeps mounting.  Laz, you've quite innocently posted a thread that has brought out something really ugly, something I'd rather not know about.  I've got to unsubscribe from this thread; I'm going to look away.Broken Heart

It seems the critics suggest I may have  been too kind for even liking the first half of 'The Lamb'

Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 02:57
I very rarely skip over songs, I enjoy listening to albums as a whole. There may be some songs I don't appreciate as much, but I'll still usually listen to them anyway.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 04:11

Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

It seems the critics suggest I may have  been too kind for even liking the first half of 'The Lamb'

Such an insightful and informative review:
"Or is it a drum solo in the middle of a song with 37 parts and twice as many time signatures? " Confused 
What?
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 05:34
It used to be the way, that all the "best" tracks on an album could be found on Side One and the less interesting tracks were relegated to Side Two with the exception of  perhaps the opening track. This formula still prevails all though not quite so common in prog as in pop music. I would listen to Side One over and over and then eventually discover the merits ot Side Two eg: Tarkus, Thick As A Brick or In The Court of The Crimson King. I find that it is not so much the quality of the music but the time length of the album which can be a detracting factor. I try however, to listen to both sides of an album, in order to fully appreciate (?) it.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 06:15

I never was a big fan of Pillow of Winds and Fearless and lets face it, Meddle is all about Echoes.  So side 2 was always first.

Fearless is my favourite song on Meddle!

Also I tried to put Shine On together 1-9 but I could not get the fading right from one track to another for the rest of the album.  So that is why I sinned, I hope all is forgiven.

I've done that (on minidisc - remember them?) with pretty good results. I liked it anyway!

If I don't like a track I'll happily skip it. I don't care if the artist intended their album to be listened to from start to finish in that order, I bought it and I'll listen to the parts I like, in the order I want.

I wouldn't listen to Gates of Delirium if I had to sit through the other tracks on Relayer too (I do occasionally listen to "side 2" but I still don't like it).

Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 06:35
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

I wouldn't listen to Gates of Delirium if I had to sit through the other tracks on Relayer too (I do occasionally listen to "side 2" but I still don't like it).

Wink
Relayer is as close as Yes ever got to a three-part symphony IMO ...the structure and format is still not symphonic, (even though Gates itself is in three parts) and the three tracks are unrelated thematically (or musically), they are sonically - Sound Chaser echoes the symphonic dance-movement and To Be Over the slow-movement with Gates forming the main allegro-movement. (Just a thought Embarrassed)

On first hearing the album Sound Chaser hooked me first and is still one of my top 5 Yes tracks.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>