Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid the Beatles help influence Heavy Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did the Beatles help influence Heavy Metal?
    Posted: September 01 2009 at 12:00
We all know the Beatles were the biggest influence on people like Ozzy Osbourne and Gene Simmons but the Beatles did have a influence on Heavy Metal.

Of course they did not invent Heavy Metal and there were others more influential but they played a part from popularizing feedback on "I Feel Fine" to lead bass fuzz distortion on "Think For Yourself". Both huge elements in Heavy Metal

Even some of the Beatles earlier songs like "It's All Too Much" recorded during the Sgt Pepper sessions now listen the feeback at the start and the guitar sound. The Beatles. The popular Hendrix chord with it's distortion sound was done on "Taxman" before Hendrix and it was rumoured to have influenced Hendrix "Purple Haze".

"Helter Skelter" uses drop tuning with power chording. The distortion sounds on "Revolution" was very dirty sounding and the Mother Superior part on "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" screams Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath was influenced by the dark and gloomy fade-out section of the Beatles "I Want You" which can be called proto-metal.   
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 13:00
I guess you can say they influenced it in certain parts, but The Beatles had such complexity in the last days of their Beatle lives, they had not thought of influencing a musical genre, more than influencing a musical generation.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 13:38
Yeah. The Beatles were pretty much a paradigm shift for rock music of any kind... before them it was pretty much the exception rather than the rule that rock musicians wrote all their own songs for example.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 15:48
Another round for the Beatles. Thanks, the Heavy-Metal doesn't have anything to do with the Blues. Clown
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 23:36
I think arguably they did influence Heavy Metal. Listen to Helter Skelter or Yer Blues on the White Album. Very heavy stuff for the time period. 

Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 00:15
Little known fact: The Beatles actually influenced themselves. Paul has a time machine, I read it in the National Enquirer.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 04:03
Originally posted by Rank1 Rank1 wrote:

We all know the Beatles were the biggest influence on people like Ozzy Osbourne and Gene Simmons but the Beatles did have a influence on Heavy Metal.

What does this mean? 
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 04:42
The Who,Cream,Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks, especially the riff to 'You really Got Me' were an influence on The Beatles so you could say that The Who and The Kinks were an influence on heavy metal before The Beatles. McCartney has said that when he wrote 'Helter Skelter', he wanted it to sound as hard as and as loud as The Who as upto then The Beatles has not done anything nearly as 'heavy' as The Who.
Black Sabbath were as much influenced by Cream (Sitting on Top of the World,White Room,Tales of Brave Ulysses etc.) as The Beatles

The Beatles were keen observers of the music scenes developements that were happening in various genres (e.g. Avant Garde,Late 1960s Blues Boom,Musique Concrete,Classical etc.) at this time (1966-68) and would integrate anything that took their fancy.The Beatles were just as much influenced by as an influence upon other artists.

Edited by Man Erg - September 11 2009 at 04:59

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 10:13
[QUOTE=Man Erg]The Who,Cream,Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks, especially the riff to 'You really Got Me'
This is so true. I remember in 1964, hearing You Really Got Me for the first time. I thought what in the world is that sound on the guitar? It seemed that everyone else at that time, was playing either straight through the amp with reverb or only slight distortion. But Dave Davies hard edged approach was groundbreaking to many guitar players in 65'. This is not a debate over who did what first. This was during the British Invasion times when a straight and a more accessible guitar sound was excepted by the bulk of the public. But Dave Davies brought in that roughness in style and kids loved it.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 10:20
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

The Who,Cream,Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks, especially the riff to 'You really Got Me' were an influence on The Beatles so you could say that The Who and The Kinks were an influence on heavy metal before The Beatles. McCartney has said that when he wrote 'Helter Skelter', he wanted it to sound as hard as and as loud as The Who as upto then The Beatles has not done anything nearly as 'heavy' as The Who.
Black Sabbath were as much influenced by Cream (Sitting on Top of the World,White Room,Tales of Brave Ulysses etc.) as The Beatles

The Beatles were keen observers of the music scenes developements that were happening in various genres (e.g. Avant Garde,Late 1960s Blues Boom,Musique Concrete,Classical etc.) at this time (1966-68) and would integrate anything that took their fancy.The Beatles were just as much influenced by as an influence upon other artists.

Great post.  Certainly the influence of the Beatles on early "metal" pioneers probably wasn't zero, but I would think it was pretty minimal compared to the other artists Lee cited above.
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 10:40
Hehe... a thread about the Beatles that led to discussing the Kinks, awesome Big smile

In any case, I totally agree with Man Erg.

I mean, I love The Beatles as much as the next gall, but it doesn't mean that they invented or had an influence on everything.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 20:45
If you are employed within the popular music industry, no matter in how tenuous a capacity, and are NOT influenced by the Beatles, it really is time for a career change doncha think ?
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 21:04
"SHE'S SO HEEAAAVVYYY!!!"
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 21:16
Yes. While Revolver is not heavy metal, for 1965 it can be regarded as one of the first "proto-metal" albums.

I would say they influenced almost every genre of rock music. Prog, metal, pop rock, everything. I can't think of any rock band (to a respectable level) that would say something bad about the Beatles. They are a huge influence on music in general, including heavy metal.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 00:41
Originally posted by June June wrote:

Hehe... a thread about the Beatles that led to discussing the Kinks, awesome
Someone should post a thread on the Kinks. Would like to read people's opinions on Kinks material from 1966 to 1979. It would be an experience to check out people's impressions of Ray Davies' lyricism. 
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 01:30
Slightly off topic

If you are looking for a band that has influenced many artists look no further than The Velvet Underground and their first album.
For an album that intially sold around a thousand copies,it's influence is phenomonal.Lennon was a big fan of the album and it is the bedrock of Bowie's career.If it had not been for that album and a smattering of Anthony Newley I don't think the 'The Dame' would have taken the musical path that he chose.

Edited by Man Erg - September 12 2009 at 06:47

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
camilleanne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 06:02
Yes..Smile
The planet is fine the people are f**ked.
-George Carlin-
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:00
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by June June wrote:

Hehe... a thread about the Beatles that led to discussing the Kinks, awesome
Someone should post a thread on the Kinks. Would like to read people's opinions on Kinks material from 1966 to 1979. It would be an experience to check out people's impressions of Ray Davies' lyricism. 

There are one or two Kinks thread buried somewhere.

But what have you got against post 1979 Kinks stuff? Angry Wink 

@ Man Erg: Mentioning VU is a really good point.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 08:04
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Slightly off topic

If you are looking for a band that has influenced many artists look no further than The Velvet Underground and their first album.
For an album that intially sold around a thousand copies,it's influence is phenomonal.Lennon was a big fan of the album and it is the bedrock of Bowie's career.If it had not been for that album and a smattering of Anthony Newley I don't think the 'The Dame' would have taken the musical path that he chose.

Furriest kudos for the above certainly. I think the Velvets would have baulked at being called a 'pop group' while the Beatles are perhaps the only band I can think of where such a term does not contain even a speck of the implied pejorative.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 09:14
if the Beatles influenced anything it was defiantly the prog rock movement with Abbey road. I see what you're saying but they seemed to have influenced more psychedelic prog than heavy metal.
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>