Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mind Expansion Thread - Psych/Space Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mind Expansion Thread - Psych/Space Rock
    Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:18
Just recently listened to The Movements' For Sardines Space Is No Problem again, I forgot how totally amazing it is. Highly recommended.
Itzamn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 12:20
Thanks for this thread, I really like the psychedelic/space rock Big smile

Currently I'm really in The future kings of england, they are really good, it's a real pleasure to discover those bands on PA ! I also listened to the Hypnos 69 album Legacy, that I also loved. I'll listen to the other recommendations Smile

(I'm sorry, I haven't any group to share ^^')
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 11:35
For those interested, the third MASTER MUSICIANS OF BUKKAKEis out, called Totem 3
If you liked the previous 2 Totems, check this one out as well (even more diverse and interesting than the two previous ones). 
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 23:20
Not really space/psychedelic rock, but my god this is awesome stoned

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 15:59
The two new releases by The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble and their improv-based alter-ego, The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Orchestra are worthwhile your attention if you liked their previous releases:

You can stream all their music here:

More info:

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 19:59
I liked the space rock of these ladies too

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 12 2011 at 20:00
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 19:54
A plug for some Aussie Space Rock I made some clips for last month

THE OVALS

Thumbnail

April 25, 2011 06:29 AM |
A Psychedelic art slide show with street night effects I made ... A Psychedelic art slide show with street night effects I made including a brief "2001: A Space Odyssey" tribute. The slide show is put to the space rock psychedelic prog rock of Australian band The Ovals. The track "Always" comes from their EP "Inner Space". Enjoy! The band have given permission for the use of their music. The stills are from fan based websites.
    April 25, 2011 12:17 AM |  Public
  •  
    Thumbnail

• Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 12 2011 at 19:57
    Plankowner View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 18:16
    Thank you Avestin, was picking up where I left off..
    avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 17:58
    Moon Duo released a new album this year, Mazes:

avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 02:43
    Here's a nice psychedelic rock album that came out this year. 

Kalachakra
    Il Ballo delle Castagne Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by avestin 
    Special Collaborator

3 stars A band I knew nothing of before receiving this album, I gradually became entranced by their psychedelic music. Il Ballo delle Castagne are an Italian band, now consisting of four members, but started out in 2007 with two of them: Vinz (vocals) and Marco Garegnani (keyboards, guitars, sitar, samples). The other two musicians are Diego Banchero (bass) and Jo Jo (drums). Vinz is also in Calle Della Morte. Marco is in The Green Man. Diego is in Ediga Aurea, Recondita Stirpe, Malombra and Segno Del Comando. This album, Kalachakra, is inspired by the documentary "Kalachakra: The Wheel Of Time", by Werner Herzog about the ritual of the same name in which Tibetan Buddhist monks become ordained.

The album's songs offer a wide range of styles and moods and as such display little coherent sound by the band. The opening song for instance, Passioni Daiboliche, is a rich and heavy rock piece with prominent keyboards and supporting guitar work, male and female vocals and a beautiful musical peak at the end with piercing keyboards-produced string sounds.

But this song is typical of only half of the album. This release presents to facets of the band: a slow and eerie psychedelic and experimental side, and a more melodic, high-energy heavy psychedelic rock face of the band. The songs, accordingly, seem to come from either of these two factions, which actually reside very well together and have strong links.

Already on the second piece, Tutte Le Anime Saranno Pesate, one can hear their psychedelic tendencies. An efficient and eerie bass line provides tension as the synths provide the main theme, accompanying the male vocals, while later on tribal percussion and a sharp guitar noodling solo continue this otherworldly vibe. All of these elements create a somewhat creepy and weird atmosphere, that is quite characteristic of this type of songs on the album.

I Giorni Della Memoria Terrena follows in the footsteps of the preceding song, albeit in a less spooky fashion and with haunting male vocals, initially accompanied by drumming and then gradually joined by guitar and keyboards. There is a sense of a ritual being prepared, an arrival being anticipated, an escalation of emotions about to happen, in expectation of an event to happen. But this event does not occur in this song, as this monotone piece keeps on going until its end.

The title piece, Kalachakra, counteracts the somewhat somber mood created by the two previous tunes, with a return in its opening part, to the heavy psychedelic rock of the first piece. Although here it's not as prominent (and not throughout the song) and moreover, includes a sitar, thus enhancing a mystic feeling that permeates from the entire album. The ending of this track is quite gorgeous and climatic with the increase of pace and use of synth-string.

La Terra Trema is in the same camp as Kalachakra in style of song, and the climatic ending. These two songs in particular remind me of the Chilean band Angulart and their album, Donde Renacen Las Horas. The atmosphere is similar, as is the vocal style and the guitar tones. It is an odd and special sound that I find quite ear grabbing. The sixth track, La Foresta Dei Suicidi, is as somber as its name suggests. It is percussion- less, abstract in places, peculiar and gloomy. While calm in a sense, it is filled with lots of restrained emotions and controlled rage.

Omega, the 7th piece, starts out in the same otherworldly fashion as the previous track, though less grave d with percussion but midway through it joins the ranks of the other type of songs on here and delivers an Electric Orange-like psychedeic freak-out epic ending.

The closing piece, Ballo delle Castagne, reminds me as well of the psychedelic rock of Electric Orange, sounding at first as if coming from a distant foreign place, changing midway to a jam-session-like psychedelic rock tune (with spoken words on German, enhancing furthermore the Electric Orange comparison).

Il Ballo delle Castagne presents here an album with two main ingredients; one heavy psychedelic rock, and the other a psychedelic abstract and eerie exploration. This has grown on me gradually with each listen and only with concentrated and repeated listening, did this album reveal to me its beauty and nuances (or rather I exposed my mind to it). A worthwhile listen (3.5 stars for those who care about such things)

Plankowner View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 04:13
    bump
    The Truth View Drop Down
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 21:18
    Motorpsycho's was amazing as well. Bomb Proof Roll... That's the one song title I remember. LOL
    avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 18:54
    Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Samsara Blues Experiment dished out an amazing album,

Yep!
    I read in an interview with them that they do want to come back to tour the USA and this time the East Coast, I hope I can catch them then. 

Oh and Samsara and Hypnos share something - both have non-clothed women on the cover-art of their 2010 albums. So this should give you another small incentive in getting them...

By the way you can find Hypnos 69 - Legacy online at Laser's Edge for example.

Also, I forgot to add to my list of 2010 fave's above the Motorpsycho album, Heavy Metal Fruit. 

Another interesting chart is the RYM list of psychedelic rock

And please everyone reading the thread, jump in and tell us your 2010 favourite psych/space albums/concerts/experiences/let-downs etc.

Edited by avestin - January 06 2011 at 19:04
    The Truth View Drop Down
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 16:50
    Samsara Blues Experiment dished out an amazing album, I really have to find the Hypnos 69 one though.
    Rivertree View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:40
    Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

With regards to future albums, I actually hope to have as many good psychedelic surprises next year as I had this year (by psychedelic surprises, I mean albums... though not exclusively...)

Wink  I mean ... this is MIND EXPANSION really LOL

avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 15:06

Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

I have to say that for me, Samsara Blues Experiment wins it with Hypnos 69 behind followed by AntaMy Brother The Wind, Mugstar, Luger and Moon Duo.

great selection, Assaf Cool  I would also count Glossolalia, an Oresund Space Collective side project which add a strong indo/raga touch and Hawkwind's 'Blood Of The Earth'

I can't name an album yet I'm really looking forward to, except another Oresund Space Collective effort which is in the making.

Right, I still need to get that Glossolalia, I read your review and got very interested. 

With regards to future albums, I actually hope to have as many good psychedelic surprises next year as I had this year (by psychedelic surprises, I mean albums... though not exclusively...).

Originally posted by StrengthandWisdom StrengthandWisdom wrote:

Hell yeah, I'm gonna go get my weed. Cool Good topic.

LOL Yeah, that's the spirit!

StrengthandWisdom View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 14:59
    Hell yeah, I'm gonna go get my weed. Cool Good topic.
    Rivertree View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 14:53

I have to say that for me, Samsara Blues Experiment wins it with Hypnos 69 behind followed by AntaMy Brother The Wind, Mugstar, Luger and Moon Duo.

great selection, Assaf Cool  I would also count Glossolalia, an Oresund Space Collective side project which add a strong indo/raga touch and Hawkwind's 'Blood Of The Earth'

I can't name an album yet I'm really looking forward to, except another Oresund Space Collective effort which is in the making.

avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 14:28
    In this post we'll glance at the current PA 2010 Psych/Space rock popular albums chart and see what we've had this passing year (only rated/reviewed albums will appear in the chart; there may be unrated albums present in the database, which while from 2010, remain unrated and so won't appear):

I have to say that for me, Samsara Blues Experiment wins it with Hypnos 69 behind followed by AntaMy Brother The Wind, Mugstar, Luger and Moon Duo

I'd also include:

Electric Orange - Krautrock from Hell 
    Seven That Spells - Future Retro Spasm 
    Titan - Sweet Dreams 
    Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart 
    Master Musicians of Bukake - Totem II

There are also some very good stoner/sludge/psych rock albums released, which are not all PA material, some of which I've mentioned some in the previous pages (Quest for Fire, Rotor, Spiritual Beggars, Spirit Caravan)

What were your psych/space favourites from 2010? 
    What psych/space releases are you looking forward in 2011?

avestin View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 08:43
    Last post for this year:
    Tangle Edge from Norway have been around a long time now and in 2009 their first and third albums were reissued and apparently they have a new album out on vinyl (Dropouts)

Their PA bio:
    "TANGLE EDGE is a norwegian music group that plays a kind of music that is purely instrumental and mixes improvisation with written parts. Stylistic they combine rock with elements of jazz, etnic and classical music. Though their style is very personal and unique blend, they have by their audience been categorized as differently as progressive rock, krautrock, free- jazz, space rock, canterbury rock, psychedelia, jazz- rock and experimental rock. 

The band was founded around 1980 by Ronald Nygård (guitars and keyboards) and Hasse Horrigmoe (bass guitar and 12-string acoustic guitar). The current lineup including Kjell Oluf Johansen on drums, has been operating since 1988. Since 1989 they have released four CD's, and toured England, Russia, Italy, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
    "

You can found those aforementioned reissues for 8$ herehere and here and here

4.00 | 3 ratings
    In Search Of A New Dawn

3.67 | 3 ratings
    Eulogy

Here's a review of their first album.

In Search Of A New Dawn
    Tangle Edge Psychedelic/Space Rock

Review by ClemofNazareth 
    Special Collaborator Prog Folk Researcher

4 stars This is one of those albums that is loved primarily by other musicians. Like a lot of raga and jazz music, these songs are full of instruments with odd tunings, obscure and finger-contorting guitar chords, and time signatures that don’t often include even numbers. Really entertaining and challenging for some young turk with a guitar and time on his hands who is willing to sit down and figure out what these guys are doing from a technical perspective.

Me, I’m just a neophyte with an acoustic guitar and a tab book trying to keep my fingers from bleeding vibrations from one string to the next. This stuff is way beyond me. But that’s okay too, because in the end music is all about what appeals to your ears and your soul, and whether you can actually appreciate the virtuosity of the artists is really secondary.

This is an interesting debut album from a band that’s been around for nearly three decades but who doesn’t seem to have a very strong following, at least not internationally. I get the impression they are a well-kept secret among their discerning fans.

This album was originally released on vinyl in 1989, actually twice, with one pressing being on a pink label and the other on a green one. The artwork is quite complex and detailed, and I assume the original vinyl was housed in a gatefold from the looks of it. The influences in both the artwork and the music housed in it are middle-Eastern, Indic/far-Eastern, and far northern Europe (Nordic, Russian). I doubt if you’ll find one of these if you don’t already have one. On the other hand, the record was also released on CD in 1994 and that version is a bit more accessible although you’ll still have to look around a bit. The 1994 issue is also a remix with a couple additional musicians added to the duo who recorded the original tracks. Since I’ve never seen or heard the vinyl I can say what’s different, but the mixing and production of the CD is exceptional.

These are all compositions blending raga-like arrangements, slightly psychedelic guitar and sitar, eastern instrumentation, and trance rhythms. Hardcore psych thirty years after the stuff was in vogue. But these guys do what they do very well, and all of them are seriously accomplished musicians with totally mastery over the instruments.

Most of the tracks are shorter than one would expect for this type of music, and the record has the feel of a sampler or EP throughout most of it. But the closing, fourteen-minute near-raga “Solorgy” shows that the band has serious intentions and the ability to generate both complex and substantive art. The psych guitar set against a persistent and hypnotic tabla and hand drums is seductive and mesmerizing, while the occasional forays into screaming speed-demon guitar riffing in spots gives notice that this is modern day stuff, not simply rehashing the sounds of the sixties. This track alone would have made a great debut EP for Tangle Edge.

Their music is a bit hard to find, especially if you don’t live in northern Europe. But Tangle Edge are a consummately talent group of musicians and their music can be enjoyed by both hardcore and serious musicians, as well as simple fans who like to get their ears dusted off once and a while. Four stars and highly recommended to just about any progressive music fan.

peace

Edited by avestin - December 31 2010 at 12:39
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>