Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho's the brain behind The Beatles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Who is the mastermind?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [26.87%]
6 [8.96%]
7 [10.45%]
22 [32.84%]
14 [20.90%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's the brain behind The Beatles?
    Posted: September 24 2009 at 20:59
 ^ don't apologize, your opinion is as good as any, and not far off BTW
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 16:22
Well, all I really meant was that Paul was the best face, so to speak. Not necessarily the most prominent, but probably the person most instantly associated with the Beatles. Actually, now that I think about it, that could easily have been John too.

Oh, to hell with it, the answer here is Lennon/McCartney!

Not bashing Paul here by any means.

Edited by Tarquin Underspoon - September 23 2009 at 16:23
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
SonicDeath10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 22:53
Originally posted by Tarquin Underspoon Tarquin Underspoon wrote:

This thread has gone to hell and back before I even knew it existed. So much so that I'm not sure that my answer will be appropriate, since it has nothing to do with Satan, the occult, conspiracies or Billy Preston.

Someone once said that the Beatles were but individual parts of a functional body.

Paul was the face.
John was the brains.
Ringo was the heart.
George was the soul.

If this is true, I must vote John. Even if he did bow down to celestial objects.

Whoa whoa, Paul was the FACE? That's a bit harsh: I'd say he and John were both the brain. Just different parts. In fact, Paul was MUCH more of a technical musician than John though they were both brilliant. I just don't think it's fair to say that John was the brains alone and Paul was just the face i.e. just the pretty boy. Paul had to help John arrange songs because John lacked the technical know how to do it as fully as he would have liked. Paul needed help finishing song sometimes from John. So really, if you're going by brains, it's a tie. LOL
"Good evening hippies." Bobby Boy
Tarquin Underspoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 22:12

This thread has gone to hell and back before I even knew it existed. So much so that I'm not sure that my answer will be appropriate, since it has nothing to do with Satan, the occult, conspiracies or Billy Preston.

Someone once said that the Beatles were but individual parts of a functional body.

Paul was the face.
John was the brains.
Ringo was the heart.
George was the soul.

If this is true, I must vote John. Even if he did bow down to celestial objects.
"WAAAAAAOOOOOUGH!    WAAAAAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!   WAAAAAOOOO!!!"

-The Great Gig in the Sky
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 12:23
Originally posted by tintedweed tintedweed wrote:

lol..u guys r mean..vaaary...LOL
No we're serious: we appreciate the stuff about Satan because we had never thought of it before.
tintedweed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 12:03
lol..u guys r mean..vaaary...LOL
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 08:40
Originally posted by demonbasher demonbasher wrote:

Brains behind the beatles most likely satan the devil because they dabbled in the occult and sunworship and their buddy was big withch and warlock aleister crowley. look at sargeant peppers lonley hearts band front cover left rear. and here comes the sun video you see the sun being worshipped. and alot of their music was based on eastern mysticism another by product of satan aleister crowley teaching. Helter skelter? its nasty music

He's right, when you sing here Comes the Sun with cookie monster voice it all makes sense.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 06:27

Brains behind the beatles most likely satan the devil because they dabbled in the occult and sunworship and their buddy was big withch and warlock aleister crowley. look at sargeant peppers lonley hearts band front cover left rear. and here comes the sun video you see the sun being worshipped. and alot of their music was based on eastern mysticism another by product of satan aleister crowley teaching. Helter skelter? its nasty music
Hmm, great contribution for your first post. Confused

Was it really worth signing up just to say that?
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2009 at 02:38
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

WTF?!?LOL

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 19:30
WTF?!?LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 19:26
ah demonbasher, such sage words, where have you been all this time?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 19:10

LOLLOLLOLLOL
demonbasher View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 18:34
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 06:56
She's Leaving Home is mostly Paul's (although Mike Leander of G*ry Gl*tt*r fame did the orchestral arrangement as George Martin was busy). I think Lennon contributed part of the chorus.

You can't always rely on books or even The Beatles' memories about who wrote what - McCartney claims to have written the melody to "In My Life" but George Martin reckons Lennon brought the completed song to him.
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 06:26
I'd say She's leaving home is mostly Paul. And I used to think A day in the life was primarily John too, but that's completely untrue, John only wrote the verses, Paul added the middle section, the section with the orchestra and arranged the song. Ok, the verses are great, but the song wouldn't be half as good as it is without Paul's contribution, that's a perfect example of why I think he was the musical brain in the band. Any way, besides who wrote what,  if you hear the interviews with all of them, it's obvious that George and John weren't too much into it in the time of that album and Paul was the one who was most interested in doing something different.

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by SonicDeath10 SonicDeath10 wrote:

It's also a matter of historical record that Paul wrote almost every song on Sgt. Peppers and that his whimsical style was way more inline with Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour. I think who the "leader" was isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about who was "the brain" i.e. the main musical thinker of the band. That is Paul.

The notion for the record came initially from Paul, but to say he "wrote almost every song on Sgt. Peppers" is incorrect.    

- Sgt, Pepper's - Paul
- A Little Help from My Friends - evidently a collaboration from a progression by Paul with a melody from John
- Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds - obviously a John concept and arrangement, perhaps some help from Paul
- Getting Better - Paul with notable help from John
- Fixing a Hole - Paul
- She's Leaving Home - a true collaboration
- Mr. Kite - John with help from Paul
- Within Without You - George
- When I'm 64 - Paul
- Rita - Paul
- Good Morning - John
- Peppers reprise
- A Day in the Life - primarily John

this means McCartney wrote 6 of the 13 cuts (I don't count the Reprise as it's the same bit), the rest written by John, George or were true collaborative efforts. 

Edited by Atavachron - September 16 2009 at 00:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 23:35
It's also a matter of historical record that Paul wrote almost every song on Sgt. Peppers and that his whimsical style was way more inline with Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour. I think who the "leader" was isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about who was "the brain" i.e. the main musical thinker of the band. That is Paul.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 22:32
Originally posted by SonicDeath10 SonicDeath10 wrote:

Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Paul was the individual genius behind the collective genius. It is not necessary to be as existentialist as Lennon nor as introspective as Harrison to be a man with a bigger musical depth.
Very well stated. People who dislike Paul because he's "shallow" are like the people who disliked Mozart for being shallow when compared to Beethoven.

it's not whether one likes or dislikes Paul, it's who was the brain-- John formed the band [Quarrymen] in 1957and was the undisputed leader as late as 1967, that's a matter of historical record.  After Brian Epstein died in '67, I suspect Paul started handling more of the managerial and conceptual duties and became a leader figure

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 22:20
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

Paul was the individual genius behind the collective genius. It is not necessary to be as existentialist as Lennon nor as introspective as Harrison to be a man with a bigger musical depth.
Very well stated. People who dislike Paul because he's "shallow" are like the people who disliked Mozart for being shallow when compared to Beethoven.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 22:15
This is hard but I went with McCartney. It's silly to get into a territorial pissing contest over who was a better pure songwriter: Lennon or McCartney. They were so damn close. I chose McCartney because he really pushed the band far ahead in the Sgt. Peppers days (the songs are mostly his) and he composed and arranged all of his own material. John couldn't really arrange his material much beyond basic guitar, bass, and drums. This isn't a huge problem, but it is a huge blow against him. Some of his songs, the bare melody and lyrics are so much better than Paul's. But Paul, George, and George had to arrange his ideas for him. Happines is a Warm Gun was put together by George Harrison: it was just three songs that John couldn't finish otherwise. And later, of course, listening to their solo work, Paul composed, arranged, and produced all of his own stuff. John couldn't do that. This may seem like a petty way for Paul to win, but it's the only way for me to decide as they are about equal as songwriters. While John never wrote something as lame as some of Paul's crappiest love songs, Paul never did anything as embarassing as John's experimental albums. Or if he did, he did a lot less of it...

Any ways, everyone knows Paul was the brains, John was the heart, George was the soul, and Ringo was the drummer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>