Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Long Prog Epics that changed your life, 15min+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10 Long Prog Epics that changed your life, 15min+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Long Prog Epics that changed your life, 15min+
    Posted: September 09 2009 at 06:53
Well i was bored in my class and my thoughts started to wander, and i started thinking of a Top 10 list of prog epics that have moulded my music taste to that what it is right now. First it was extremly hard but then i thought why not make it only 15minute+ tracks. So here's my list, the epics that changed my life:

10. King Crimson - Lizard
This was the latest epic that changed my view of music, specificly my view of Crimsons music. It's joint effort with Jon Anderson from Yes, with Jon singing in the first movement before the song goes into a beautiful instrumental passage. I dare you to dislike the chorus in this one.

9. Caravan - Nine Feet Underground
I found this one a few months after i had been introduced to prog. I read somewhere that "In The Land Of The Grey And Pink" is the greatest album of Caravan, and that the ending track is one of their greatest musical achievments. I remember listening 3x times in a row to this epic after buying the record, and countless times afterwards.

8. Yes - Gates of Delirium
"Gates.." is the last Yes song that i have really gotten into, my friend who introduced me to prog can't stand it. Well it took me a while too, but i think it's one of Yes greatest achievements. The problem why it isn't just as good as the other Yes epics on this list is because of how long the eclectic part in the middle is(the one with autoparts being smashed etc.) I think that because of this part being so long, many people stop listening to it before the end climax(Soon), which is absolutley astonishing.

7. Pink Floyd - Echoes
Echoes was a track that got me really feeling for Psychedelic/Space Rock and understand its greatness. It's a real trip to some place beyond where you can relax and chill. Fantastic music.

6. Yes - Awaken
Without Close to The Edge, Awaken would be Yes crowning achievement, in my opinion. Crazy guitar solos from Howe, magnificient cathedral organ by Wakeman and magic lyrics by Anderson. Absolutley fantastic.

5. Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
This is the one that me and my friends always start with when drinking or playing. It's in my opinion Pink Floyds crowning achievement. It's a magnificient track sober, but somehow i always feel that it's twice as good when enjoyed with alcohol, or something else.

4. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
When i was introduced to this great piece by Jethro Tull i played it probably 7x times a day. I still enjoy it as much as when i heard it the first time. There are so many great passages and climaxes in that song you almost can't count em.

3. Yes - Close to the Edge
I have read here that many people think this is an overrated track. I think that's only because it's so popular, and some people tend to stay away from the mainstream, even if it's "prog mainstream". I love this track so much, the beginning, the solos, Wakemans organ, Andersons high vocals, the ending, everything. The fact that the track "And You And I" is almost as good as the title track itself, is something that makes the album itself absolutley astonishing.

2. Genesis - Supper's Ready
Musical box and Dancing with the moonlit knigth were those songs that introduced me to prog in general, but this song was the one that introduced me prog epics. This is something that will be listened to after 200 years like Mozarts or Beethovens music right now. The fact that live it was even better makes me regret that i wasn't born much much sooner.

1. Van Der Graaf Generator - A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers
This is it. The greatest of them all for me. I found it on a fluke, listened to it once, and never came back. Hammil composes a masterpiece were a Lighthouse keeper ponders his problems in life, and finally commits suicide(or just dies?) giving a beautiful piano ending to the greatest song ever made, greatest lyrics, greatest music(Fripp visiting!).

This list is of course only from my point of view, and i would like to read your lists, maybe i'll find new epics to cherish like these.
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 09:36
I'll take a stab at this. In no particular order....

1. SUPPERS READY - Genesis.
Because when I first heard it was the first long epic that I'd ever really heard, and it played a large part in me getting into prog in the first place

2. CLOSE TO THE EDGE - Yes
This took a long while to fully appreciate, but eventually I warmed to the greatness that is Close to the Edge

3. STARDUST WE ARE - The Flower Kings
I'd consider this to be far from their best epic now, but hearing this back in about 1999 was my re-introduction to prog and the realization there were still bands around making this sort of music

4. THE LIGHT  Spocks Beard
Ditto reason as Number 3, except that it was my reintroduction to live prog - saw them at the CRS in 1999 and marvelled over this epic song

5. FAND - The Enid
A wonderful piece that demonstrated the perfect symbiosis of rock and classical. Opened my eyes to all sorts of new stuff

6. SCENES FROM A MEMORY II - Dream Theater
Probably the only long epic from a prog metal band that I've ever really got into

7. OCEAN CLOUD  Marillion 
Convinced me that Marillion could still 'cut it' and prompted me to explore a lot of the Hogarth-era back catalogue

8. A PLAGUE OF LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS Van Der Graaf Generator
Introduced me to the VDGG catalogue after someone convinced me to give it a listen

9. THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE Flower Kings
Hearing this convinced me to drive 200 miles to see them play live

10. ALL OF THE ABOVE  Transatlantic
Threw many of my favourite musicians into one pot and came up with a classic prog epic, so how could I leave this one out?

Not necessarily my favourite ten - but ten that had an impact Smile
paragraph7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 13:00
Originally posted by paulwalker71 paulwalker71 wrote:

I'll take a stab at this. In no particular order....

1. SUPPERS READY - Genesis.
Because when I first heard it was the first long epic that I'd ever really heard, and it played a large part in me getting into prog in the first place

2. CLOSE TO THE EDGE - Yes
This took a long while to fully appreciate, but eventually I warmed to the greatness that is Close to the Edge

3. STARDUST WE ARE - The Flower Kings
I'd consider this to be far from their best epic now, but hearing this back in about 1999 was my re-introduction to prog and the realization there were still bands around making this sort of music

4. THE LIGHT  Spocks Beard
Ditto reason as Number 3, except that it was my reintroduction to live prog - saw them at the CRS in 1999 and marvelled over this epic song

5. FAND - The Enid
A wonderful piece that demonstrated the perfect symbiosis of rock and classical. Opened my eyes to all sorts of new stuff

6. SCENES FROM A MEMORY II - Dream Theater
Probably the only long epic from a prog metal band that I've ever really got into

7. OCEAN CLOUD  Marillion 
Convinced me that Marillion could still 'cut it' and prompted me to explore a lot of the Hogarth-era back catalogue

8. A PLAGUE OF LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS Van Der Graaf Generator
Introduced me to the VDGG catalogue after someone convinced me to give it a listen

9. THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE Flower Kings
Hearing this convinced me to drive 200 miles to see them play live

10. ALL OF THE ABOVE  Transatlantic
Threw many of my favourite musicians into one pot and came up with a classic prog epic, so how could I leave this one out?

Not necessarily my favourite ten - but ten that had an impact Smile

I have yet to check out Flower Kings and The Enid. You have otherwise a good list so must be something to check out.
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
Courtesy Flush View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 14:29
In no particular order....

"The Sky Moves Sideways"-Porcupine Tree
"A Change of Seasons"-Dream Theater
"Tetragrammaton"-The Mars Volta
"Harvest of Souls"- IQ
"Anesthetize"- Porcupine Tree
"Shine on you Crazy Diamond"-Pink Floyd
"Supper's Ready"-Genesis
"Awaken"-Yes
"Dogs"-Pink Floyd
"Echoes"-Pink Floyd
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 15:25
1. Supper's Ready- Genesis
2. Octavarium- Dream Theater
3. Shine on You Crazy Diamond- Pink Floyd
4. Stranger in Your Soul- Transatlantic
5. Crimson- Edge of Sanity
6. Close to the Edge- Yes
7. Harvest of Souls- IQ
8. The Great Nothing- Spock's Beard
9. The Truth Will Set You Free- The Flower Kings
10. The Light- Spock's Beard

EDIT: The Abbey Road medley has to get in mine somewhere. Look at it as my #11 spot right now...

Edited by J-Man - September 12 2009 at 07:36

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 15:28
Here are 10 (in no order) that in some way shifted my paradigm musically at some point in my life:

A Change of Seasons - Dream Theater
Cassandra Gemini - The Mars Volta
Tetragrammaton - The Mars Volta
Octavarium - Dream Theater
Close to the Edge  - Yes
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
Echoes - Pink Floyd
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Sleep
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - The Dead Flag Blues
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:12
In no order:
Soft Machine - Moon In June
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps
Terry Riley - Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band
Caravan - For Richard {It's 40 seconds short of 15 minutes but I can't leave out my favourite Caravan Epic!}
Genesis - Supper's Ready
Frank Zappa - Big Swifty
Picchio dal Pozzo - Mettiamo l caso che, Pt. 2
Yes - Remembering/High The Memory
Popol Vuh - Brothers of Darkness, Sons of Light
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:12
I don't think any of these really changed my life, but they've certainly made it more pleasurable:

1. Echoes - Pink Floyd : this track stopped me in my tracks and made me a life-long Pink Floyd fan

2. The Song Of Fand - The Enid : another vote for this magnificent track.

3. Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd : this took me a while to appreciate and though I should not say it here, it wasn't the official release that convinced me of how great it is; music can tell a story without the need for lyrics.

4. Voyage 34 - Porcupine Tree : trippy psyche-infused heaven.

5. A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers - Van der Graaf Generator : When I first heard this I found it genuinely scary, gripping, enthralling and fascinating. With later listens it lost much of its scariness until I found myself listening to it driving along a motorway in a thunderstorm with visibility down to a few metres - not the most reassuring soundtrack in that instance.

6. Light of Day, Day of Darkness - Green Carnation : 60 minutes of some of the finest and most diverse eclectic Prog Metal going.

7. Karn Evil 9: Emerson Lake and Palmer - Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, were so glad you could attend, come inside! come inside! - yeah - ELP (and SInfields) apocalyptic vision of the future ... I am perfect, are you?

8. The Gates Of Delirium - Yes : Up until the release of Relayer I wasn't really that interested in Yes, they were a bit to soft for my tastes, but the aggression and intensity of this track blew me away and caused me to back peddle through there previous albums with different ears and discover TFTO as a result.

9. Phaedra - Tangerine Dream : I know this a long piece and not strictly an epic, but it was the first piece of Tangerine Dream music I owned and as a teenager before I owned a pair of headphones used to lie on the floor in the dark with the stereo speakers either side of my head and drift off into the music.

10. Nine Feet Underground - Caravan : This is the epic that made me appreciate that epics don't have to be complex, soaring and bombastic, that they can be just as effective if they are simpler and understated.

special mention: A Sky of Honey - Kate Bush : Okay - a cheat as it is not a single track, but it is a linked multipart epic.
What?
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:36
Forum [4 New Posts]
Top 10s and lists (3 Viewing)
List all your favourites here
474 18392 10 Long Prog Epics that changed...
By Dean View Unread Post [4 New Posts]
Today at 21:12
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:38
^ Ha! forgot that one - not a perfect epic, but a damn fine one. Clap
What?
Azure Void View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:10
Some interesting lists here. I'm not so familiar with the 80's and 90's and after prog, as I thought it died with albums like "Love Beach" by ELP. OK, someone played me Marillion but I couldn't get into it, perhaps because of the garishly colorful album cover, and my own preconception that prog had died and the best albums were immortally cut in the past. (Note: I still have a problem with clowns, jesters, Kings, knights, and I guess you could say fantasy and carnival material. Nevertheless I was very pleased to see Cirkus as someone's #1 album, because THAT is a very complex and interesting album.

Keeping in mind that I don't know most the new stuff, other than things like Tool which somehow creep in, here's a list, not necessarily in order.

1) Gentle Giant: Octopus (Alternate = In a Glass House)
Probably the first prog band I really got into after ELP or Yes.. I brought home a compilation GG record and a King Crimson record, when I was in my teens. Both were used records. The K.C. record was Islands. Well, I couldn't believe how horrible those albums were when I listened to them at night. Ghastly and emetic. The next morning I listened to them again and couldn't believe how intriguing they were. I've been obsessed with GG for a long time, and they are generally my favorite underrated prog band (everyone's heard of Yes and Genesis), and also interesting because of the short songs and the bizarre assonance and whatnot they get into in songs like So Sin-cere.

2) Yes: Fragile.
A monster of an album. Incredible, really. I used to listen to it most everyday when I was in Jr. High. It's got a richness that I don't find so much in a lot of other Yes. Not to say other Yes isn't rich, just not THAT rich. Fragile is earthy in a way. The guitar work is amazing.

3) ELP: which one? I'll go with Tarkus. Comically, ELP was my favorite band once I got over ELO. I started with Brain Salad.

4) Ange: Au De La Du Delire. Very enjoyable and cool French album. Liked the inside artwork, too.

5) Genesis: Trespass. (This could easily be the best). Stagnation is one of my favorite songs.

6) Triumvirat: Illusions on a Double Dimple. Some great ELP inspired music on there. I still quote one of the songs in my head all the time whenever I lose a job or get lost: Mind in the road to nowhere, no sign no light to guide me, who could describe my anger, when I was sacked last Friday. (I'm gainfully employed now, don't worry, if gainfully employed means teaching English at a university in China in a city with only 10 foreigners).

7) Rare Bird: As Your Mind Flies By. There are some great songs on this LP. Interesting keyboards and I dig the vocals.

8) VDG: The least we can do is wave.

9) King Crimson: In the Wake of Poseidon. Nice alternative to the first LP, and it follows the same sort of format.

10) Pink Floyd: Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Maybe this is pre-prog, but it's got some of their most catchy stuff and is highly experimental. When I first heard it, in a warehouse I was working in when another guy played it, I was convinced it was new retro music. It seems pretty out there compared to what other bands were doing at that time.

Other mentions: Eloy (Floating), and most other albums from the above bands excepting their newer material which could turn me off to them almost completely. Can't take new GG either. And "Love Beach," My god, what were they thinking?!

Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:14
Very hard. I'll do a Top 15.
1- PINK FLOYD's Shine On You Crazy Diamond (the first epic I've ever loved)
2- HARMONIUM's Histoires Sans Paroles (my favourite instrumental song, my québecois pride)
3- YES' Close to the Edge (probably the song I listened the most)
4- GENESIS' Supper's Ready (the song that made me appreciate, adore, in fact, Genesis)
5- JETHRO TULL's Thick as a Brick (one of the songs that grew the most over me)
6- PINK FLOYD's Atom Heart Mother (one of the most under-rated epics ever)
7- VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR's A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
8- YES' The Gates of Delirium (the song I love more than Close to the Edge from Yes)
9- PINK FLOYD's Dogs
10- HERBIE HANCOCK's Hornets (fantastic fusion song)
11- PINK FLOYD's Echoes (my favourite song from my favourite band)
12- ELP's Tarkus
13- CARAVAN's Nine Feet Underground
14- UNIVERS ZERO's Ronde
15- PINK FLOYD's A Saucerful of Secrets (the song that I had to add, even if it's not 15 minutes long)
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Azure Void View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:16
Oops, I thought it was LPs. Sorry.

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 02:57
I have an amazingly long running thread about albums that changed your life.  Feel free to contribute, but I hope you will be prepared to explain WHY they changed your life.

el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 03:10
My triumviarte of excellence:

1: Echoes
2: TAAB
3: CTTE

Very 'boring' selections, but damn fine music.

Honourable mentions for AHM and Salisbury
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 07:35
1. Circumstances - Capability Brown  Ever since if I first heard of this song I was hooked. I had yet to hear even a second of this song, but once the anonymous guy I can't wait to thank opened a thread asking which song this is, I had to check it out. After months, I finally got the album and on the first listen, I literally had tears in my eyes. An epic that I could not live without!

2. Tarkus - ELP I got this CD about two weeks after I started listening to prog and I thought it was celestial on my first listen. I knew both Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Lake from King Crimson and Emerson and Palmer from the Led Zeppelin gig. This album changed my definition of music, no doubt.

3. All of the Above - Transatlantic Some parts of this track are not all that great, but there are parts that bring me back to the 70's, with that clean Hammond sound, and vocals. I LOVE this song.

4. A Plague of Lighthouse Keeprs - Van der Graaf Generator The melodramaticism and power of Peter Hammill, with the loud saxes of David Jackson, combined with Guy Evans' epic drum sound, and Hugh Banton's epic Hammond organ sound bring out the most powerful piece that could ever be written, in terms of comopsition.

I can't do more, it's just lists and lists and lists.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:09
No epic changed my life. I hate to admit it but what changed my life is stupid things like the decision what to study, deciding to work in the industry and not in academy, the selection of partner to life (turned out to be not very good one but it did affect my life a lot) and becoming a father.

Back to topic - I am going to add few not (or nearly not) mentioned in no order :

Amon Duul II - Phalus dei
2. Banco - L'evoluzione (I think it's a bit shorter than 15 minutes but it's great)
3. Can - Haleluwah
4. Discipline - Before the storm
5. ELP - Tarkus (mentioned by few but one of the finest epics ever IMO)
6. Focus - Hamburger concerto (how come no one mentioned it yet ?)
7. Harmonium - Histories sans parole
8. Pink floyd - Atom heart mother (another one of my most loved epics)
9. Popul Vuh - E&S (don't ask me to the write the whole name)
10. Renaissance - Scheherezade
11. Soft machine - Face lift
12. Trespass - Morning light
13. VDGG - Murglys III

And one last thing : As one who bought Lizard on vinyl it was not an epic but a half concept album. Only when remastered on CD it became one long track.
omri
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 11:23
Hm...

1. A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers
2. Tarkus
3. Les Porches Du Notre Dame - Maneige
4. Facelift
5. Lizard

And I can't go much beyond that or it all gets very imprecise.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 12:33
1.  Echoes - Pink Floyd.  In one 'epic' sweep, it changed the way I listen to music and opened my eyes to possibilities I had never conceived.  Always will be my favourite epic too.  

2.Close to the edge - Yes.  First taste of symph prog and it was magnificent.

3.Karn Evil 9 - Emerson Lake & Palmer.  Prog rock can be fun, so I learnt at an early stage.  LOL 

4.Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull.  My first proper taste of Tull beyond listening to Aqualung on a compilation.  

5. 2112 - Rush.  Similar to Tull, first steps with Rush after Tom Sawyer.  I have come to like a few of their songs and albums more, but this was memorable for sure.

6.Supper's Ready - Genesis.  It took me some time to warm up to this, but when I did, I was overwhelmed.  
7 Kohntarkohz pt-2 - Magma.  Introduced me to the darker side of prog.  I was quite taken aback by Vander's furious assault on the kit..prog from hell! 

8.Ashes Are Burning (LATC version) - Renaissance.  From the moment Annie's voice soared over piano and guitar, I was utterly bowled over because I never thought she would sound THAT awesome live...no reason why I should have doubted her though, but it happened!

9. Epithalame - Art Zoyd.  Turns out I can not only tolerate but LOVE a heavy dose of electronic/synth when done in a certain way.  The whole of Berlin was terrific. 

10.La Faulx - Univers Zero. Death growls in 1979...it's official now, prog owns metchul!  LOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 12:43
  1. Supper's Ready: The Epic in every sense
  2. Close to the Edge: Wakeman enhances it
  3. Children of the Sun (Magenta): There's still Prog in the new century
  4. Thick as a Brick: A classic
  5. Karn Evil 9: Mind breaking
  6. Song of Sheherezade: The definition of Symphonic
  7. Tubular Bells Pt 1: A great surprise