Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCrap We're About To Be Flooded (It Happened)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 18:03
I forgot to mention Elvis (his real name, thank you, thank you very much Elvis) came by the house last weekend after we were about to call it a day from clearing out stuff and removed appliances from the house we were going to have to do.  Apparently he's been in the neighborhood since a kid and is now doing salvaging.  So he carted off the ruined refrigerator, range, washer, and dryer.  He and his girlfriend work as a team collecting salvageable stuff, I am amazed at what they will take.

So, went to the house this morning and everything is pretty much stripped to the studs inside.  The exterior is in better shape than when I bought the place in '94.  Elvis came by this morning again when we were checking things out at the house.  Helped me clean out the old shed.  The poor old shed is about to rust apart but I'm going to get as much more use out of it as I can.

Well, y'all wish me luck on obtaining a refinance because the repairs are exceeding the available funds.  Hell of an economy to try to get that done.  I'm hoping substantial repair will make it possible.

The new roof and siding are in place.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 12 2010 at 19:06
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 02:01
Good luck, Brian. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 02:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I forgot to mention Elvis (his real name, thank you, thank you very much Elvis) came by the house last weekend after we were about to call it a day from clearing out stuff and removed appliances from the house we were going to have to do.  Apparently he's been in the neighborhood since a kid and is now doing salvaging.  So he carted off the ruined refrigerator, range, washer, and dryer.  He and his girlfriend work as a team collecting salvageable stuff, I am amazed at what they will take.

So, went to the house this morning and everything is pretty much stripped to the studs inside.  The exterior is in better shape than when I bought the place in '94.  Elvis came by this morning again when we were checking things out at the house.  Helped me clean out the old shed.  The poor old shed is about to rust apart but I'm going to get as much more use out of it as I can.

Well, y'all wish me luck on obtaining a refinance because the repairs are exceeding the available funds.  Hell of an economy to try to get that done.  I'm hoping substantial repair will make it possible.

The new roof and siding are in place.

Wow, that looks like a huge job. Keep safe Brian 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 19:06
If things shake out well over the next four weeks, I'll be back at home and able to chill and keep annoying folks in the forums.  Failure is not an option.   Annoying folks in the forum will probably always be at hand.  And as I bid you leave a heavy cold is rolling into town.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 18 2011 at 19:54
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 18:06
Alright, the contractor expects to have inspection competed by Friday.

Other than the moving I have to figure how to fit all this:

into what was this:

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 16 2011 at 20:53
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 23:42
I've had it in my head for many years that my first prog concert was Kansas in 1978.  I was sorting through my LPs in the storage unit and organizing them.  I had not done this since before I moved into the house in 1994.  Found a copy of Seconds Out album with a concert program in it from their 1977 tour which would have been March 15, 1977 at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta.  Man I'm feeling old.

This is freaking me out a little because I remember this concert.  My Mom gave away a ticket to a friend of mine from middle school and he came along.  She also gave a ticket to one of my brother's friends who gave her a beat up acoustic guitar to say thanks.  This was the first musical instrument I got my hands on and I played it for more than a few years.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 05 2011 at 13:31
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2011 at 05:38
^ I love moments like that. I pulled out my vinyl copy of Mike Oldfield's Exposed live album the other week and found the paper dart given away during the tour that we were supposed to throw at the appropriate moment during the show. Obviously I didn't, I kept mine. For years I was convinced this dart was given away during the Five Miles Out tour in 1982, but printed on the wings of the paper-plane is Mike Oldfield European Tour and double checking on tubular.net confirms it was from  the Tour Of Europe in '79.Embarrassed

What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 17:52
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  The drywall went up today.  We might be ready to get out of this damned apartment by next weekend.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 05 2011 at 13:31
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2011 at 13:51
The house repairs are getting finished.  We move in by the end of February if all goes well.  I'm getting stuff staged at the apartment to put into the storage unit tomorrow for temporary, things that can go back into the house at "leisure".   My CD and DVD music collection go direct to the house at the last minute.  I'll be exhausted before this month is out but life should be a little less complicated...

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 12 2011 at 14:13
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 14:13
This stuff will soon be in a new home not too different from the old home:

It's all in the second bedroom of the apartment.  I'll be going back to the same old music room at one end of the house and library room at the other end.  My wife got in some reconfiguration so she gets a big closet in expanded bedroom.  We had to sacrifice a small closet at the house entry, but we can do a coat rack for guests.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 16 2011 at 20:54
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 20:52
Alright, the lights are now in, the bathroom tiles are in, the kitchen flooring is in, the carpet is about to go in, the HVAC system is in.  Plumbing fixtures were all replaced except the old toilet isn't functional so that will have to be replaced.  I'm a happy camper so to speak. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 16 2011 at 20:54
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:13
Ahh, the carpet is in, the cabinets are in, and soon we'll be in.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:14
w00t! Clap have you a count-down to that day?
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:18
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Ahh, the carpet is in, the cabinets are in, and soon we'll be in.

Great news, what a wonderful day it will be when you can be in your own house again.  Clap
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:31
I'm thinking we're looking at next weekend, but there may be some moving going on after that, and then after we're in the settling in may take a couple of months.  But wow, we had a great contractor.  Even though we'll still have to worry about the creeks, the county is actually about to do some work on them in our neighborhood.  So I'm feeling really upbeat rather than beat up.  What's really cool is that when my wife moved in it had been my house for a few years and there were moisture problems, etc.  This really beats having to try and find a new house somewhere else.  My wife has been working really closely with the contractor and this place will now totally be our house.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 19 2011 at 07:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:35
I hate to ask Brian, but did you have to fund all this yourself in the end, or was there insurance/FEMA/whatever money that came through?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 07:41
I had flood insurance because it's in a flood plane.  But we wound up eating up funds for replacement of furniture, etc. on rent.  FEMA covered some of the rental expenses though, but that assistance ran out.  Next step is to do a refinance to pay for the overages, plus we need to do some tree work and I'd like to get rails on both sides of the bridge with infill woodwork.  The county was supposed be doing a buyout but couldn't come up with matching funds for the federal money.  By the way, feel free to ask anything.  I'll post some pics when the repairs are complete.

Oh cool, I was going through the photobucket and here is a pic of the cassettes that perished in the flood:

RIP.  Some of them are upside down because I just pulled them out of their boxes which were on the the floor to make a photo.  You'll notice some of the labels are in my own writing, some I actually drew something arty on.  There's a Genesis bootleg that has good art and it survived a fire at my Mom's house in the '80's.  There's one where one of my friends crossed out Live and wrote Die. LOL  The Poly 61 Korg cassette actually interfaced with keyboard via a sound cable and had the standard set of patches.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 19 2011 at 08:01

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 17:08
Major storm coming through.  Thank God we aren't moved back in yet.  If we get flooded again now that the repairs are complete, I'll be extremely pissed to say the least.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:45
The packing experience is underway.  The moving experience is about to begin. Big smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 18:51
Big smile hope nothing gets broken Thumbs Up
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>