Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog = Literature
    Posted: October 22 2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Quote ... And this is exactly what makes it hard for "modern" people to listen the, from pop-culture's angle, ancient rock music of Genesis, Jethro Tull and Yes. They are not connected in either way with the background, it is unusual for them, and for some unusual equals crap. Mozart, Beethoven, Shakespeare were all part of popular culture (at least of those who could afford it) in their times. Progressive rock today is about as old-fashioned as medieval music in the 19th century. In other words, it is too old to be modern, in other words, it is unusual and therefore not considered part of popular culture....

Agreed ...

Heartily agreed ...
I don't agree. At all. Firstly "those who could afford it" where a minority and were not representive of "popular culture" but "elite culture" (in its truest sense). Secondly people who do not appreciate Progressive Rock today have no problems with the classic rock, pop or R'n'B of the past - their disconnection has nothing to do with time or age.

That's why a lot of times I say that too many people are writing and saying things from the perspective of their "fandon" ... and "favorite" group.
And so they should - anyone who listens to music will make a connection to a particular group or artists (or group of artists) and will see everything through that perspective, because what people are fans of is defined by who they are and not the other way around. And that is true of every genre in history, even back to Bach - who had his supporters and dissenters, for every Mozart fan there was a Salieri fan and both where people motivated by what they heard.

There is nothing difficult about listening to other musics and interpretations and cultures, specially today with the Internet ... 100 years ago, no one would have known but 5 to 10 composers and a couple of folks that played in the local bar ... so to speak ... and when considering what is available to day ... including this board ... I kinda think that we should get a bit better ...  about some of these discussions, unfortunately, too many of the responses can best be said to be trolling, than a proper response.
One minor point - the class boundaries in those days was enormous - you either knew 10 composers or a couple of folks that played in a local bar - not both. While we imagine that the working classes of the 18th and 19th century liked nothing better than to gather around the pianoforte and listen to a Beethoven sonata after they got home from 16 hours toiling at Mr Cartwright's new fangled Power Loom in the dark satanic mills of old England, the reality is they'd never heard of him and probably only knew a few hymns and some bawdy folk songs. The Internet wasn't responsible for opening up music to the masses - the wax cylinder and the 78 were the medium, and general education was the motivation.

Whether people know 10 artists or 100, whether they are fans of 1 band or a whole genre, they can only talk about what they know and what moves them to speak. Repetition of the same statements without further qualification isn't trolling, it's just tiresome. LOL

But it is important, for us here as well, that we spend more time showing a sense of understanding having to do with the history of the music ... prog is not prog ... prog is good music like any other ... and dows not sound bad or old any more than anything else ... however, a lot of pop music does sound dated and bad -- and in general most of those have more to do with the production and the time than it did the music itself ... sometimes there was no care to make it better ... if such a term can be mentioned.
Music is a product of its age, you cannot change that - revivals sound like revivals and can never be "the real thing". The production on early Genesis albums sounds like it does because of the technology involved - that is part of the charm and signature - because that is how it was presented and delivered, the "production" was part of the process. The re-recorded versions of classic albums that a few artists have put out remove something indefinable from the product, that makes them a facsimile of the former recording.

While I am not ... a musicologist ... I would be hard pressed to know a chord from any guitar ... or keyboard ... but in terms of having pend time and appreciating music from 700 years ago, or Dream Theater today, or a Michael Oldfield, or The Pipes of Pan in Joujouba ... in the end, it changes you some ... somewhere along the way you learn to appreciate a lot of music and you find real quick that a "style" means absolutely nothing to you .... and one of the faults in an area like this is creating "groups" so that we know what is what ... but yes, it is needed sometimes, and they do call it romantic, baroque and what not ... with one major exception .... the late 20th century blasted the history of music ... and then some ... all of a sudden you can hear sonic structures doing Albinoni .... and we're gonna call that "neo-goth" because the guitar had a sound effect that made it sound like ... neo-goth ... and now you can see the ridiculousness of the whole thing ... but if it SELLS records because it is goth or neo-goth ... what the heck ... all the power to those groups!
The 20th century resulted in a massive upheaval in how music is created and presented. On the creation side this was as drastic as the changes that occurred during "the Age of Enlightenment", with wider diversities in what could be achieved by deconstructing the old rules and formulating new rules, until those rules became deconstructed and reformulated and so on. On the presentation side it had the opposite effect in many regards, it led to definitive versions of music, because they could be played and recorded as the composer intended them to be heard. Conversely, earlier music, such as Baroque, played on modern versions of orchestral instruments is not how the composer envisioned it, (unless it is interpreted by a Early Music orchestra using traditional instruments). What we hear when a modern concert orchestra plays it is an interpretation and an approximation and not what the 17th century audience heard.

The classification of Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic etc. were after-the-event delineations "invented" in the mid-19th century - the changes from one era to another were not abrupt, they blended and overlapped - the 20th century didn't change the history of music, it just brought it to a mass audience, all the hard work of making it easier to understand had been done in the previous century.

btw: I'm a little confused by your last few sentences on Goth and Neo-goth (I appreciate that you are using them as a hyperthetical example, but they are pre-used terms). The term neo-goth only exists as a derogatory fashion term for mall-goths and is not appiled to any musical form I know of, (although some bands have tried to adopt the tag, it has been in the main ignored). Gothic music (namely Gothic Rock and Gothic Metal and the associated subgenres of Dark Wave and EBM) has no relationship to the Neo-gothic (or Gothic Revival) era of the 18th century, or the Baroque period of classical music, but grew from the New Romantic scene of the1980s and while it is related to the Gothic fiction of the Romantic writers such a Byron and Keats and the dress style of Victoriana - Goth's music influences were 100% 20th century in origin. Even the associated dark-wave subgenre called Neoclassical has little relationship to any accepted forms of classical music other than a loose influence (ie it sounds classical).

However, my minor confusion aside, I think you are underestimating the buying public in that they may buy the emergent style, but they won't keep buying it, and they will only buy a select few of the copy-cat artists that follow - most (if not all) of the genres and styles that arose in the 20th century (have we had any in the 21st century yet?) were adoptions rather than marketing inventions.

But the sales ... in the 20th century are now DEFINING the history of music ... and our definitions will change as will the acceptance and application of its names and identification ...
Sales of one form or another have always defined musical history - music survives when it is popular and popularity has always been measured by what the composer or performer can be paid for his craft; whether that was Blondel's price of a meal and a bed for the night, Mozart's ticket sales for his latest symphony, Glen Miller's sheet music sales or Eminem's platinum status for his latest album. But whether that artist can bring any influence to subsequent generations will be a combination of popularity, critical aclaim and a degree of luck.

And yes ... musical knowledge is not always necessary ... but having an appreciation and beauty for everyone's views and abilities is important ... and the only thing I personally don't care for is when someone says that a piece of music is trash ... and it makes you wonder whose trash we're talking about, that's all.
That, I agree with Big smile
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 10:43
Quote ... And this is exactly what makes it hard for "modern" people to listen the, from pop-culture's angle, ancient rock music of Genesis, Jethro Tull and Yes. They are not connected in either way with the background, it is unusual for them, and for some unusual equals crap. Mozart, Beethoven, Shakespeare were all part of popular culture (at least of those who could afford it) in their times. Progressive rock today is about as old-fashioned as medieval music in the 19th century. In other words, it is too old to be modern, in other words, it is unusual and therefore not considered part of popular culture....

Agreed ...

Heartily agreed ...

That's why a lot of times I say that too many people are writing and saying things from the perspective of their "fandon" ... and "favorite" group.

There is nothing difficult about listening to other musics and interpretations and cultures, specially today with the Internet ... 100 years ago, no one would have known but 5 to 10 composers and a couple of folks that played in the local bar ... so to speak ... and when considering what is available to day ... including this board ... I kinda think that we should get a bit better ...  about some of these discussions, unfortunately, too many of the responses can best be said to be trolling, than a proper response.

But it is important, for us here as well, that we spend more time showing a sense of understanding having to do with the history of the music ... prog is not prog ... prog is good music like any other ... and dows not sound bad or old any more than anything else ... however, a lot of pop music does sound dated and bad -- and in general most of those have more to do with the production and the time than it did the music itself ... sometimes there was no care to make it better ... if such a term can be mentioned.

While I am not ... a musicologist ... I would be hard pressed to know a chord from any guitar ... or keyboard ... but in terms of having pend time and appreciating music from 700 years ago, or Dream Theater today, or a Michael Oldfield, or The Pipes of Pan in Joujouba ... in the end, it changes you some ... somewhere along the way you learn to appreciate a lot of music and you find real quick that a "style" means absolutely nothing to you .... and one of the faults in an area like this is creating "groups" so that we know what is what ... but yes, it is needed sometimes, and they do call it romantic, baroque and what not ... with one major exception .... the late 20th century blasted the history of music ... and then some ... all of a sudden you can hear sonic structures doing Albinoni .... and we're gonna call that "neo-goth" because the guitar had a sound effect that made it sound like ... neo-goth ... and now you can see the ridiculousness of the whole thing ... but if it SELLS records because it is goth or neo-goth ... what the heck ... all the power to those groups!

But the sales ... in the 20th century are now DEFINING the history of music ... and our definitions will change as will the acceptance and application of its names and identification ...

And yes ... musical knowledge is not always necessary ... but having an appreciation and beauty for everyone's views and abilities is important ... and the only thing I personally don't care for is when someone says that a piece of music is trash ... and it makes you wonder whose trash we're talking about, that's all.

Edited by moshkito - October 22 2009 at 11:11
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 00:33

Quote ... Originally posted by Luke. J

(face it, proggers, progressive rock's classics aren't modern anymore Wink)

Geee .. neither is Beethoven, and Mozart ... gee ... did I forget anyone else? With all this top ten stuff I've heard it so much I can't stand it anymore! Ohh heck, Shakespeare is not classic and the Bible is definitly old ... do we need to go further back to illustrate?

It's the same thing with all the arts ... today we might think that that Picasso is passe and boring ... but all that means is that you are not taking the element of time and place in consideration ... and how things developed and came to pass and be ... and got to where they are now.

You need to take the essence of it all ... or the whole thing is as meaningless as your life ...

And this is exactly what makes it hard for "modern" people to listen the, from pop-culture's angle, ancient rock music of Genesis, Jethro Tull and Yes. They are not connected in either way with the background, it is unusual for them, and for some unusual equals crap. Mozart, Beethoven, Shakespeare were all part of popular culture (at least of those who could afford it) in their times. Progressive rock today is about as old-fashioned as medieval music in the 19th century. In other words, it is too old to be modern, in other words, it is unusual and therefore not considered part of popular culture.

Maybe the quote could be misunderstood to "man, get outta ya time machine and arrive in 21st century", but this was not intended. Just that classics will not arrive in modern age because of their style, but only if because of their context. People just cannot relate to Yes or Genesis these days..
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 09:31
Quote ... Originally posted by Luke. J

(face it, proggers, progressive rock's classics aren't modern anymore Wink)

Geee .. neither is Beethoven, and Mozart ... gee ... did I forget anyone else? With all this top ten stuff I've heard it so much I can't stand it anymore! Ohh heck, Shakespeare is not classic and the Bible is definitly old ... do we need to go further back to illustrate?

It's the same thing with all the arts ... today we might think that that Picasso is passe and boring ... but all that means is that you are not taking the element of time and place in consideration ... and how things developed and came to pass and be ... and got to where they are now.

You need to take the essence of it all ... or the whole thing is as meaningless as your life ...
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 06:40

No i didnt know that, Clap

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 05:54
well, even the great ones can be juvenile at times. did you know Mozart wrote a canon for six voices to the words "Leck mich im Arsch" ("Kiss my ass", but literally "Lick me inside my ass")? that Johann Sebastian Bach wrote a silly "Coffee Cantata?

Edited by BaldJean - October 17 2009 at 05:54

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2009 at 03:51
I belive You, it is hard to write good POP songs, especialy if you want to make  not only POP music, but HITS.
But i disagree that Prog Music havent been good at it.
Peter Gabriel : Sledgehammer/Big Time
Yes: Owner of a Lonely Hart
Zappa: Baby Snake
Genesis: some great pop songs

Bryan Ferry (Prog related): lots of great POP songs
Bowie (Prog related): lots of great POP songs

Edited by tamijo - October 17 2009 at 03:52
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 17:05

Lol, I believe prog emulating pop has been done before several times, and with failure rates of around 90%. ;) If anyone wants to be convinced that it's actually hard to write good pop music, they should just listen to what happens when the supposedly better prog bands try their hand at pop! To be fair, there is deeper and more insightful pop music, often by prog bands (king crimson wrote some great pop in the 80's.) It hardly makes a dent on the charts though, people don't want insightful music to dance to. 

Maxer J - I think we're mostly in agreement then. I'm still not sold on literary and entertainment even being different ends of a continuum, as I see them as independent of each other, there existing literary entertainment, non-literary entertainment, literary non-entertainment, and just plain bad ;). I'm not sure there's as much stagnation as you think either.  At least not in the mainstream, where formulaic hits seem to get surpassed by non-formulaic hits quite often. I think a lot more of the stagnation comes from niche genres actually, like "jazz vocalists," techno, or whatever you call that genre with all the bands that sound like nickelback.

sealchan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 14:28
If music producers and those talented song writers they have on their payrolls are the ones behind those disposable pop songs (whose lasting musical quality is usually only in their lyrics and sometimes in the quality of the vocals) then I call on all progressive rock bands to fight against that.

How so?  Take those pop music forms, emulate them into your own musical skills and interests and represent them in the more artful context of a song which reflect more of life than the juvenile libidic interests that much pop music caters too. 

Or in other words, there are two basic ways to interpret the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet (my friends)...

1.  Pop music: ideal, innocent love tragicly cut short indirectly but nonetheless fatally by the inability of adults to "get along" in the world

2.  Prog music:  1. AND two sex crazed teenagers who are naive and spoiled plan to run off (to where they don't know) and probably would have ended up back home within the week but unfortunately got thrown off by an unfortunate misunderstanding of hastily read signs and ended up killing themselves.

MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 07:08
The Captain - I can't argue with you - you have a Brackenwood avatar.

But honestly, I completely agree with that. Surely no one on this site just listens to prog - there are even many great... pop songs....Shocked

Dean - What can I say. Complete screw-over on my part. I was going to back and edit the Elizabethan/Victorian part, but the rest escaped the notice of my weak grasp on history. That being said, Beethoven did start music tuition at the age of four, continuing this tuition at an intense rate for the rest of his childhood. I'm not going to assume he didn't have other tuition - maths, english, other unimportant things - but somehow I don't think they had the same priority these subjects have for us. (some of us anyway) Tongue Genes sure help in making a musical genius, but so does twelve years of intense training.

Nuke - Looking back on my Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and David Eddings example actually makes me feel sick... that really came out wrong. I hadn't thought of this distinction as solely of 'literary' and 'entertainment' - it's an unbroken flow between these two. Most importantly, i'm not advocating only listening to 'literary' music- that would be the greatest crime of all. But an equal crime is being made when music stagnates - when producers care more about finalising that album that took a whole three months to put together (and compressing it, who can forget that Dead) than they care about... I don't know, making music. They literally turn the artist, audience and music into commodities to bargain, trade and sell. Who needs put effort in when the marketing campaign can get everyone to love the album before it even comes out? Ehh... I'm like the Hulk, trying to hold back the verbal barrage against capitalism.

Nuke, your grasp of Lit Studies is very good. Your argument is Post-Structualist - New-Historicist to be precise. I was referring to the list - 'originality, emotional resonance, complexity, technical difficulty, aesthetics, or depth' but you are right, your overall argument is not Formalist.

Max Martin - vocalist for the glam metal band It's Alive, whose album Earthquake Visions sold a paltry 30, 000 copies. Soon after Martin left the band to pursue a career as a songwriter.

I should know. I BOUGHT THE ALBUM.

No... no, not really i didn't.Wink

Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

Nuke - Let me start by saying it was never my intention to completely write off 'inferior' music. We all like a bit of raw, quick, dispensable music. I couldn't live without my extensive Tom Morello collection.

Now, i'll highlight things that are important so you can skip my digressions....

You've got a couple of problems. First off, the whole 'quality' thing. Did we say anything about quality? Let me see... ctrl+f.... okay, everyone who has mentioned quality has stated that it is impossible to define...
What I am trying to say is that 'we' - the collective being ProgArchives users - shouldn't bother arguing over 'x is better than x' in terms of 'proggyness' or 'quality'... instead, let's take a page out of the Lit criticism book and work on defining music - not just prog though - as 'literary'.
Sure, you could say 'art' - it's the same thing, different schools of thought. Art students like to think of it as art, Lit students like to think of it as literature. What's important is what it signifies. You yourself said that people understand literary books to be better because 'the smart people told them so'. To millions of educated - and i use the term to talk about people with more than five years in school - western teaching has emphasised certain books and authors over others... We haven't denigrated the books that were 'not literary', we have just said, 'Well, that's a good read!/That's a bad read!' But when people read the books seen as canonical 'literature', they talk about how it changed their lives... admit it, as much as mainstream music is fun, bopping, and consistent, it won't have the same effect (on me at least) as VDGG's 'Lighthouse Keepers'. I'm going to shrug that music off the same as i shrug off David Eddings books -they're entertaining books, but i don't feel any different after reading them...

This is another bad example and i have digressed quite a bit. Let's just remember that no one has said anything about 'quality' apart from your infatuation with it...

I think it's time for the Formalist speech. Right. Once, there were these cats called the Formalists. They came from Russia. They thought that books could be 'rated' (for lack of a better term) by their own merits, discarding the author, or what the reader thought. They measured off originality, style, flair, poetic-ness, and loads of other things... They were shut down by Structualists, but that's irrelevant. If you want to do this, lets do it. Let's be music Formalists. I would like that. But don't pay out others because they are more extreme Formalists than you. We're all in the same boat, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum.Tongue

As for classical music... i don't know about you but I listen to equal shares classical and progressive. The point is that we are still searching for something else - 'leaving home' as moshkito put it... We just get there in different ways... but it's still better than not leaving at all. There's always speculation as to what Beethoven would do if he were alive today, but you must realize that cultural and economic settings are completely different. Have you ever read anything from Elizabethan/Victorian era? Austen, maybe? Books from that era show how their entire days consisted of walking around, watching the servants do all the work. Beethoven probably had so much time on his hands that Anderson and Howe in similar circumstances would write CttE five times over.... Seriously, people in 1700/1800's didn't do anything all day...

And finally,

Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

If you don't want to be a proper elitist, then perhaps you should look a bit more carefully at pop music, because pop music is actually one of the most meticulously constructed music forms. Many of the best and brightest in the music industry are working on this type of music. It's easy to make fun of Britney Spears, but there is a reason she constantly tops the charts, it's because of the really talented songwriters supporting her underneath. 

Yes there is a meticulously constructed form... it was made twenty years ago and has been rinsed and repeated ever since. Fantastic. Many of the best and brightest are working there either because their fantastic Kraut rock band couldn't sell albums or because they actually enjoy their work.Tongue (Examples of these people you talk about please.)
The reason Britney tops the charts is because the charts are made for Britney. That's like asking why Mugabe is still the president of Zimbabwe.

You must realise ALL IS INTERTEXTUAL.
Then we can work out how to unplug the stereo.

Good post, I wasn't able to reply right away because I was busy and I knew this post didn't merit a reply that took 5 minutes to write. To start with though, this quality thing had me worried a bit that I'd set up a straw man, but it's not true. You guys either explicitly stated it (using terms like "good" and "bad" which means the same thing as "quality" in this context) or implied it with talk of distinctions between literary work and entertainment. Now I see you want to use the term "literary" instead of "quality," which is a point I admittedly missed the importance of the first time through (the discussion didn't end up focusing on this distinction.) But what does that boil down to? It's dressing the distinction between good and bad in different terms. The distinction between literary and entertainment, in my eyes, is just as bogus as the distinction between quality and non-quality. The difference is that it is much more vague and thus more difficult to challenge. Just because VDGG's "lighthouse keepers" had a stronger effect on you than Lady Gaga's "the fame" doesn't mean it won't go the other way with other people (and it does). Besides, a yardstick of how much effect something has on you is unfair to the many examples of brilliant music that is meant for fun. Mozart often wrote fun songs that wouldn't change anyone's life, but to claim it is less "literary" than the many more serious works out there seems silly to me. If you were to claim that and the majority were to agree, then I would argue that the term "literary" means nothing.

My point as it relates to the formalists would be actually against the formalist position. I'm not terribly familiar with Lit Crit but I think my arguments would be more understood in the post structuralist sense, where the work must be interpreted in the cultural and societal context of both the author and the reader.  In other words, overarching judgements like "this is literary, this is not" reek of formalism, wheras the post structuralist view would be that "whether or not something is literary is subjective and depends on socio-cultural context." If I'm completely misunderstanding Lit Crit, feel free to correct me. 

Personally, I don't listen to too much classical music these days. I really appreciate the music, as a member of my college wind ensemble and choir I play it all the time, however modern music is more my comfort zone since I can relate to it so strongly. Not to say I don't challenge myself, because I do, but I also like to enjoy myself so more often I listen to prog rock, heavy metal, pop music, basically stuff written in my musical language. I find myself challenging myself more often by listening to the experimental wings of those genres than by listening to classical music, although I certainly have to spin at least 1 classical album a month. That's completely irrelevant though, so sorry, and I'll get back to the point. I agree that "leaving home" is an important experience and that most music appreciators should try this. I just don't think this implies anything about literaryness.

As for an example of these people that work underneath pop stars, consider Max Martin. He's the one who wrote "Hit me baby one more time." Here is his production and songwriting discography. I don't know how old you are, but if you grew up at the same time I did, you'd realize that he's probably responsible for more top hits than the Beatles and Elvis combined. Now that takes serious talent!

sealchan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 18:15

I've said elsewhere (but I am generally lazy these days about finding my own citations) that I think that what prog is really about is about what art is "really" about.  This is difficult to define but it has been attempted and I like the following definition.  This comes from an audio tape I have of the great comparative mythologist Joseph Campbell giving a lecture on the main works of James Joyce (Wings of Art).  You can definitely see James Joyce's work as "progressive" literature in that his writing was highly complex, highly experimental and relatively inaccessible to most people's reading tastes.

There are two kinds of art (my friends)...

1.  Dynamic art that seeks a certain goal: consciously or unconsciously motivates you towards a particular action or belief

2.  Static art that seeks to arrest the mind before the profound mystery of the world.  Art that is simultaneously relevant to meaning and yet does not prescribe action or opinion but rather inspires a new awareness of the world that is not expressed better than in the form in which it is experienced (as there is no higher perspective from which to make this judgement as the form is as necessarily rooted in the particulars of the composition as it is transcendent of them)

So for music this means that a song or album collectively does not make a political point or recall a simple emotional perspective primarily.  What it does do is evoke a mood that is composed of feelings/beliefs/sounds etc... that shows those things collectively in a transcendent manner; transcendent of their simple worldly referents.

A concept album is probably the best structure in which to accomplish something like this.  In Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" there is a self-conscious awareness of this quality (read the lyrics to the last song "It").  Other albums which evoke a complex mood as a whole may contain songs that work a theme usually the theme is merely a vehicle for the communication of that higher mood in which (as a Freudian might say) the manifest content is simultaneously symbolic of a more abstract content, the struggle of the instincts versus the social needs, etc.  In presenting problems, true "static" art does not provide answers, it shows the deepest character of the issue and anyone who comes away inspired by the work to a particular belief or action has either identified a limitation of the work or has underestimated it.

Perhaps the simplest way to accomplish transcendence in art is to place two things that are opposite together in a way to evoke an unconscious response.  In my review of some of the Beatles songs I have found that their use of contrasting moods within a song adds a sense of a higher quality to the song as if the song was speaking of something above and beyond the simple one way emotional attitude a single-minded melody can portray.

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 16:49

Exactly. There is no formula for literature - people just seem to know. But we are brought up to believe that we should treat all forms of music as equal... when we should treat it like books.
My last word on this topic:

The only way that ANYTHING can every be intrinsically more worthy than anything else (notice I didn't say BETTER, because it still doesn't make it BETTER!) would be because of its cultural impact. That is to say: You can not claim that In the Court of the Crimson King is in any way better than random pop album A. You can say you prefer it though. You can also say that it has more inherent worth because it made an impact on music by helping shape a genre. It is not however, a better album if you're talking about taste. It can be better put together artistically, but still it doesn't make it a better piece of music, only a more important piece.

Speaking literately, the only reason why Lord of the Rings is (and should be) more celebrated as a work of literature than Harry Potter is because of its impact on fantasy literature. Is it better written than HP? Well, that's to the reader to decide. HP isn't poorly written, it's actually more entertaining than LOTR in my opinion of course, but either way, one can't be better than the other intrinsically. LOTR is currently more important since it started a lot of fantasy literature, but at the same time HP helped a lot of children read, which is also important.

Comparisons serve to destroy or enlighten. Enlighten in the case of helping readers or listeners find new and "better" (relatively speaking that is) literature or music; or destroy in the case of being a critic and saying band A is better than band B or classic era writer A is better than modern day writer B.

More specifically talking about you guys now: Lots of people say that a certain band is better music because it is either more complex or more groundbreaking than another piece of music. There's nothing wrong with that until you get into destructive terms, such as genre bashing. This is one of the simplest yet most destructive things. First of all, there is NO way that progressive rock is better than thrash metal or grunge or indie or post rock. The reason why everyone is on this forum is because you all PREFER progressive rock to those other genres. you prefer it because it is either more complex, supposedly more groundbreaking, or because you grew up in the 60s and discovered that Barclay James Harvest was something you identified with more than with Led Zeppelin. And that's all fine, it depends on what you prefer in your music. Any groundbreaking activity 90% of the time in progressive rock only served to further the ambitions of progressive rock, the same as in any other genre. Of course, there's the 10% that was later picked up by metal (which birthed prog metal) or by indie (which produced a weird sort of 21st century art rock), but that happens in any genre.

Does this make sense? The reason why genre A is considered better than genre B is because a fan of genre A is going to compare Genre B by genre A's standards. Less philosophically: You like progressive rock and you judge rap by the standards of PR (complex instrumentals, vocal harmonies, and song structure)....well DUH obviously rap doesn't have those things! And rap fans won't like PR for the most part because it doesn't have meaningful or insigntful lyrics powerfully delivered or a strong beat or even a catchy melody. And those are ALL legit concerns because everyone prefers a slightly different musical style to suit their tastes.

God damn, this post covers everything I think I deserve "clappies" and stars. Either this post gets stickied or I'm copy pasting this whenever there's a dumb discussion on why Muse is disappointing because on their newest album they went more alt rock than proggy.

I'm out.

PS: Let's not get started on radio though. Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 12:51

There's always speculation as to what Beethoven would do if he were alive today, but you must realize that cultural and economic settings are completely different. Have you ever read anything from Elizabethan/Victorian era? Austen, maybe? Books from that era show how their entire days consisted of walking around, watching the servants do all the work. Beethoven probably had so much time on his hands that Anderson and Howe in similar circumstances would write CttE five times over.... Seriously, people in 1700/1800's didn't do anything all day...

Confused

just a few points -

The Elizabethan era and Victorian era were 200 years apart:

Tudor period  (1485-1603)        Renaissance (1400-1600) 
Elizabethan era  (1558-1603)
Jacobean era  (1603-1625) Baroque (1600-1760) 
Caroline era  (1625-1642)
Georgian era  (1714-1830) Classical (1730-1820) 
British Regency  (1811-1820) Romantic (1815-1910) 
Victorian era  (1837-1901)
Edwardian era  (1901-1910)

Jane Austen (1775-1817) - was writing about the landed-gentry - a small portion of the English upper class whose income was derived from the Estates they owned. Austen was born into the lower echelons of the landed gentry, however her father worked as a rector and teacher. Most of the male characters in Austen's novels have day-jobs - military officers, bankers, lawyers, clergymen, etc. 

Beethoven (1770-1827) - like Bach and Mozart - was born into a family of professional musicians and had to work to support his family - this involved teaching, composing and playing (he was a piano virtuoso). Even before the death of his father Beethoven had to work to support his brother's and sisters.

What?
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 11:44
My original intention was to go through this and individually respond to each post I disagree with. I then realized there were far too many disagreeable posts and far too many tangential-at-best posts so I'll just say my piece.

There are a lot more great pieces of music out there than almost anyone thinks. Realizing what the music is great at is where the hang-ups occur. Great tech metal is great because it's great at being technical. Great pop music is great because it's great at being catchy and/or reaching a large audience and/or being relatable  and/or bringing in money and/or a few other things I can't think of. This type of thinking can be done to pretty much anything. As long as it's considered great within the sphere of it's audience it is great. The inverse and reverse of this statement aren't necessarily true.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 11:12
This thread is getting serious.

The reason Britney tops the charts is because the charts are made for Britney. That's like asking why Mugabe is still the president of Zimbabwe.

Seriously i don't have much time to read through everything (sorry), but this statement of yours struck me quite a bit. I'm in a country where we are bombarded with plain mainstream music in radio and cd shops. Only 0.0001% of the music here has some elements of prog. Any music that is not in the mainstream never sees light of day. No radio station will ever play anything longer than 4-5mins. That is a sort of music education the public ever receives. I'm not meaning the music education where you learn the theory or how to play an instrument, but the sort of education where audience can be exposed to different kind of music, with at least knowledgeable DJs giving decent information of some music. We don't have that.

So the reason the Britney Spears of the world top the charts here is because there are no other choice. Musically we are dictated by the Mugabes of music industy.
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 08:43
Nuke - Let me start by saying it was never my intention to completely write off 'inferior' music. We all like a bit of raw, quick, dispensable music. I couldn't live without my extensive Tom Morello collection.

Now, i'll highlight things that are important so you can skip my digressions....

You've got a couple of problems. First off, the whole 'quality' thing. Did we say anything about quality? Let me see... ctrl+f.... okay, everyone who has mentioned quality has stated that it is impossible to define...
What I am trying to say is that 'we' - the collective being ProgArchives users - shouldn't bother arguing over 'x is better than x' in terms of 'proggyness' or 'quality'... instead, let's take a page out of the Lit criticism book and work on defining music - not just prog though - as 'literary'.
Sure, you could say 'art' - it's the same thing, different schools of thought. Art students like to think of it as art, Lit students like to think of it as literature. What's important is what it signifies. You yourself said that people understand literary books to be better because 'the smart people told them so'. To millions of educated - and i use the term to talk about people with more than five years in school - western teaching has emphasised certain books and authors over others... We haven't denigrated the books that were 'not literary', we have just said, 'Well, that's a good read!/That's a bad read!' But when people read the books seen as canonical 'literature', they talk about how it changed their lives... admit it, as much as mainstream music is fun, bopping, and consistent, it won't have the same effect (on me at least) as VDGG's 'Lighthouse Keepers'. I'm going to shrug that music off the same as i shrug off David Eddings books -they're entertaining books, but i don't feel any different after reading them...

This is another bad example and i have digressed quite a bit. Let's just remember that no one has said anything about 'quality' apart from your infatuation with it...

I think it's time for the Formalist speech. Right. Once, there were these cats called the Formalists. They came from Russia. They thought that books could be 'rated' (for lack of a better term) by their own merits, discarding the author, or what the reader thought. They measured off originality, style, flair, poetic-ness, and loads of other things... They were shut down by Structualists, but that's irrelevant. If you want to do this, lets do it. Let's be music Formalists. I would like that. But don't pay out others because they are more extreme Formalists than you. We're all in the same boat, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum.Tongue

As for classical music... i don't know about you but I listen to equal shares classical and progressive. The point is that we are still searching for something else - 'leaving home' as moshkito put it... We just get there in different ways... but it's still better than not leaving at all. There's always speculation as to what Beethoven would do if he were alive today, but you must realize that cultural and economic settings are completely different. Have you ever read anything from Elizabethan/Victorian era? Austen, maybe? Books from that era show how their entire days consisted of walking around, watching the servants do all the work. Beethoven probably had so much time on his hands that Anderson and Howe in similar circumstances would write CttE five times over.... Seriously, people in 1700/1800's didn't do anything all day...

And finally,

Originally posted by Nuke Nuke wrote:

If you don't want to be a proper elitist, then perhaps you should look a bit more carefully at pop music, because pop music is actually one of the most meticulously constructed music forms. Many of the best and brightest in the music industry are working on this type of music. It's easy to make fun of Britney Spears, but there is a reason she constantly tops the charts, it's because of the really talented songwriters supporting her underneath. 

Yes there is a meticulously constructed form... it was made twenty years ago and has been rinsed and repeated ever since. Fantastic. Many of the best and brightest are working there either because their fantastic Kraut rock band couldn't sell albums or because they actually enjoy their work.Tongue (Examples of these people you talk about please.)

You must realise ALL IS INTERTEXTUAL.
Then we can work out how to unplug the stereo.
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 16:57
Would we have more success with this theory if we made it more specific and said prog = poetry?

There's a few prog albums that bear resemblence to novels but virtually all of them have the feel of aural poetry, where an impression is created through either free or stylised selection of material without regard for prose conventions.
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 11:39

Well, this is a good discussion and I'm happy to see that at least a few people are also taking my side now. Kudos to Pangaea, it must take serious effort to make such a mammoth post. However, please no one else quote the entire post, it makes it hard to look through the page. What I'm seeing in these arguments is a disturbing degree of snobiness. Like I said earlier, we can't even agree on what quality is, so how can we claim to make such assessments of quality? Why do you have to elevate your music on this mystical scale that trumps all others? Why can't you just talk about what you know, like originality, emotional resonance, complexity, technical difficulty, aesthetics, or depth? All those things seem very related to quality, but at least you can talk about them in a somewhat more objective fashion. 

I think there is often a degree of laziness to those writing off music as inferior to other music. Threads of this sort always seem to degenerate into mindless pop music bashing. The posh music-litarati types will exclaim "Oh, but that is just music for the masses, whereas I listen to the obviously superior music made for thinking folk like me!" First off, if you are listening to prog rock, that's not the "thinking man's" music. That music is classical music. You talk about how pop music doesn't last 40 years, but forget that prog music doesn't last 400 years. I shouldn't be giving advice on how to be a proper elitist, but there it is, go listen to Beethoven's 3rd, not Yes's Close to the Edge. If you don't want to be a proper elitist, then perhaps you should look a bit more carefully at pop music, because pop music is actually one of the most meticulously constructed music forms. Many of the best and brightest in the music industry are working on this type of music. It's easy to make fun of Britney Spears, but there is a reason she constantly tops the charts, it's because of the really talented songwriters supporting her underneath. 

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 04:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Only 0,1 % or less of any given population care about music, beyond just listin' to whatever comes their way.
Excatly the same with literature, Painting, Film.
They just want to consume some of it, enjoy or dislike instinctly, and move on with their life.

So its not Our Music/Their Music, its more like Music is made for those interested in Music, versus
Music made for those not that interested in Music.

That music is made with easy consumption in mind. either first listen hit protentiale, or a steady beat you can dance to, often combined with strong branding. They dont want/need music that you would want to still listen too 50 years later, they need it to last about 10 weeks or something.

What we want is music that last us a lifetime.

It not nessesary better, its just compleetly diffrent.
And due to the fact that its diffrent ballgame, you need diffrent skill's to be sucessful in each game.

I don't think that is strictly true - good music will last a lifetime, regardless of genre - even the transitory nature of top-40 pop produces classics that we remember in 50 years later and prog produces some music that will be forgotten tomorrow. The equality in any artform does not mean equal quality, but equal worth.

Yes i was even thinking about that agument when i was writing the post.
Elvis, Dolly Parton, Carpenters, ABBA ect ect ect. 
But i still think my agument make sence, the fact that some hits, will become classic. Mainly because thay have a universial timeless appeal combined with high quality, dosent change the fact that you got music
based on the desire to make instant hit, adressing a casual pool of listners, and music less mainstream,
focusing on listners wanting to dig deeper. That was the conclution in my post.

Elvis, Dolly Parton, Carpenters, ABBA was adressing the casual listner, making instant hits.
They are/was just extremly good at what they did, making there version of mainstream, last a lot longer than 99,9% of radio hits does.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>