Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glass Hammer release new album “Three Cheers...."
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlass Hammer release new album “Three Cheers...."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 01:58
I have a lot of respect for you, Steve! Congratulations on the new CD, your musical direction is up to the band and the band alone. With every release, bands win some new fans and lose some old ones, it's the way the wheels turn. It's also a tough job to present your music directly to fans, as you can see, it is not unheard of for people to say that they hate it directly to you, as if you didn't spend many years of hard work and not making much money on your craft. You'll never please everybody, and if you try to please the haters, they still hate, that's just what they do.

Best of luck with the new CD, and now I brace myself, as I did listen to more than one Porcupine Tree song while writing for the new Shadow Circus album! Wink
GhammerSteve View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 13:06
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

Great album.  I also got to see these wonderful folks at 3RP.  Great show, but then I've been a fan since "On To Evermore".

Super nice folks as well.  Cheers to you, Steve, and congrats on the new album.  I hope we will perform on the same bill in thee future.

cheers
Phideaux Xavier I

Hey!
Right back at you Phideaux.  We enjoyed meeting you guys and watching the show.  3RP was a blast :)
Thanks for sending your album btw.  We're digging it!
Steve

The Breaking Of The World - March 31st
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 15:46
Been a fan since the early days.Very good album,listened to it for the first time this weekend.I dig heavy music and liked the direction you took on this one.Not that's it's all heavy but I liked the streamlined,stripped down approach.

Edited by TheProgtologist - November 16 2009 at 15:49

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 16:23
I still need to get thisEmbarrassed

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 18:23
Originally posted by GhammerSteve GhammerSteve wrote:

Originally posted by wimerd wimerd wrote:

I saw Glass Hammer perform at 3RP 2009 and they played some songs from this album - the new songs were TERRIBLE! I think people's fears may be legitimate; Glass Hammer may have officially jumped the shark.

Gee - we had a ton of compliments from folks about the new material.  What a bunch of liars they turned out to be! lol
Judge for yourselves I suppose.  :)
Steve

I preface the upcoming statement with the following: I am a fan and I don't mean to sound like an ass.

I'm sure most of the compliments about the new material were genuine. However, I imagine social graces suppressed most, if not all, face-to-face negative feedback. Most people (especially progfans at a prog festival) won't approach you and say "the new songs were terrible."

Anyway, I agree with Rico. I'll give Three Cheers around 10 more spins for the rest of the year to solidify my opinion of it. Then I probably won't touch the album as a whole (there are a few great songs) until I inevitably go on my (roughly) annual Glass Hammer binge.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 17:56
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

Originally posted by GhammerSteve GhammerSteve wrote:

Originally posted by wimerd wimerd wrote:

I saw Glass Hammer perform at 3RP 2009 and they played some songs from this album - the new songs were TERRIBLE! I think people's fears may be legitimate; Glass Hammer may have officially jumped the shark.

Gee - we had a ton of compliments from folks about the new material.  What a bunch of liars they turned out to be! lol
Judge for yourselves I suppose.  :)
Steve

I preface the upcoming statement with the following: I am a fan and I don't mean to sound like an ass.

I'm sure most of the compliments about the new material were genuine. However, I imagine social graces suppressed most, if not all, face-to-face negative feedback. Most people (especially progfans at a prog festival) won't approach you and say "the new songs were terrible."

Anyway, I agree with Rico. I'll give Three Cheers around 10 more spins for the rest of the year to solidify my opinion of it. Then I probably won't touch the album as a whole (there are a few great songs) until I inevitably go on my (roughly) annual Glass Hammer binge.

True- I don't think I've ever had anyone tell us face to face that they hate GH or some particular GH song.  But thus far, Three Cheers (for all its differences) produces about the same feedback as previous GH albums.  Some people are thrilled, some neutral, some undecided, and some don't like it.  That's just the nature of album production and I fully expect a range of opinion. 
The big thing for me with Three Cheers and changing directions was that to do another album of 'epic tracks' would have been disingenuous.  Fred and I both were writing shorter psychadelic and Beatles influenced songs - and moving away from the keys in other songs to finally experiment with more rythmic 'metal' tracks. 
Three Cheers does not represent a new direction for the band - it was just a new kind of album for us.  We're already plotting new 'epics' for a future release.  Who knows what we'll do???? 
You didn't come off like an 'ass' (ahem), and I hope I didn't come off too defensive (ahem).  <g>
Hope it grows on you :)
Steve

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 18:02
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I have a lot of respect for you, Steve! Congratulations on the new CD, your musical direction is up to the band and the band alone. With every release, bands win some new fans and lose some old ones, it's the way the wheels turn. It's also a tough job to present your music directly to fans, as you can see, it is not unheard of for people to say that they hate it directly to you, as if you didn't spend many years of hard work and not making much money on your craft. You'll never please everybody, and if you try to please the haters, they still hate, that's just what they do.

Best of luck with the new CD, and now I brace myself, as I did listen to more than one Porcupine Tree song while writing for the new Shadow Circus album! Wink

Thanks for the comments.  I grew a very tough skin during the infamous flame wars that proceeded "The Inconsolable Secret" release - which was completely and totally trashed two weeks before anyone heard it! lol
Since then - we just cruise the forums looking at the comments - cringing at some, laughing at others.  We selfishly please ourselves first with every album we do - and the one time we didn't, we made an album that made no one happy. 
What I've heard of PT I truly love.  Great sound.
But the influences for this album are pretty obscure.  But if we're compared to PT - that'll work. 
Good luck with the new album - and hope the 'critics' will be kind <g>
Steve
nandprogger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 22:53
minusie to hear more, I have the slight impression that the music was turned over to Susie. Two things are certain: the album is totally different from any previous album and Fred Schendel must have also reduced their brains together and stomach...
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by nandprogger nandprogger wrote:

minusie to hear more, I have the slight impression that the music was turned over to Susie. Two things are certain: the album is totally different from any previous album and Fred Schendel must have also reduced their brains together and stomach...

WTF?

That last line was pretty weird.Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12