Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A journey through the Italianprog scene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 46474849>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 17:52
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

FROM EMILIA...
Le Vele di Oniride, from Imola...
More info:

Hi,

This is one of the nicest things I have heard on this thread. No rush to get a solo out, and just plain well defined work and very tasty all the way through.

Very enjoyable to my ears, and you can't even compare it to anything else ... that's how nice it is!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 09:26
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Aether, from Milan...

More info:

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 10:14
FROM EMILIA...

Cubo di Rubik, from Parma...

More info:
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2023 at 20:11
Hi,

Nice additions ... 

Aether is very pretty and special on this piece. Very melodic.

Cubo di Rubik is, likewise really good and tight. It's really nice to see some material really well done like this.

Le Vele di Orinide is still one of my favorites thus far ... very clean and even those vocals are well done.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 06:50

FROM LAZIO...

Massimo Pieretti, from Rome...

You can listen to his debut album, entitled A New Beginning, here:

More info:

Deserves inclusion into PA. Big smile

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 06:58
I am ashamed to say that other than PFM , I am not familiar with any other prog bands from Italy.

I do love PFM though, and fondly remember buying 'Chocolate Kings' back in the day. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 07:01
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

FROM LAZIO...

Massimo Pieretti, from Rome...

You can listen to his debut album, entitled A New Beginning, here:

More info:

Deserves inclusion into PA. Big smile

suggested for crossover, little bit of patience if you please Tongue
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2023 at 23:53
FROM CAMPANIA...

Mandol'in Progress, from Naples...

You can listen to their album In The Court Of The Mandolin King here:

More info:

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2023 at 06:59

FROM CAMPANIA...

Hi,

Got to admit that is very nice and well done .... however, the rest of the album is the whole KC thing and while it is interesting, the novelty wears out quickly. But, at least, this particular piece is worth the listen ... very nicely done.

Next for them is Pink Floyd! Wink Smile

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2023 at 07:14
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2023 at 08:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

FROM CAMPANIA...

Hi,

Got to admit that is very nice and well done .... however, the rest of the album is the whole KC thing and while it is interesting, the novelty wears out quickly. But, at least, this particular piece is worth the listen ... very nicely done.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2023 at 09:48

FROM LOMBARDIA...

Aether, from Milan...

More info:

Thanks to you, Andrea, I've been listening this Aether album all morning. Nice mostly keyboard-oriented instrumental jazz rock fusion to provide background to my morning spelunking around the WWW. At first I thought I was going to be listening to some iteration of the Brazilian band of the same name ( two albums on PA from 1998 & 2002 as well as the AMAZING contribution to Colussus/Musea's Odyssey: The Greatest Tale), but it's not; totally different band).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2023 at 16:55

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[QUOTE=andrea]
FROM CAMPANIA...

video
Hi,

Actually I knew about this one already ... again, it's fun to listen (and enjoyable!!!) to but it wears tiresome after several minutes.

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2023 at 16:56
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 10:08
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Cinema Styge, from Milan...

More info:

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2023 at 23:23
FROM LAZIO...

Gianfranco Vigneri and his project Story of Marion and Damiel, from Rome...

More info:

Edited by andrea - July 28 2023 at 23:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 06:31
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I am ashamed to say that other than PFM , I am not familiar with any other prog bands from Italy.

I do love PFM though, and fondly remember buying 'Chocolate Kings' back in the day. Smile

Hi,

Sad that you say this ... there is music everywhere in this world, but our ears are tuned out because we have our three (or five!) favorites and we spend a lot of our time posting gibberish about our favorites, and (sadly) not listening to anything else.

It's almost like saying that you can not hear anything else, because it will CHANGE your "favorite" reasons and ideas and scramble your ideas about them ... so what? Your brain is meant to change and experience more anyway, isn't it?

While I might say that the PFM of today is nowhere near the opening days PFM, and the same for Banco and even Le Orme to an extent, it doesn't mean they are the only ones or that there is no other music out there.

There is great stuff out of Chile, Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand ... you name it ... although I'm not sure, at that point, any "comparison" is worth it ... the more you hear, the less you stick around as a fan for some favorite ... the differences and other interpretations of a lot of things shows you how much more there is, and your favorite squeeze, goes away ... it's the same with your favorite teddy bear. 

Andrea does an excellent job as Damo also does with Japanese music ... the main sad point, is how many of the better known posters in this board actually bother listening to it ... I am not sure, based on their same comments all the time about anything, that they are listening to a lot of this stuff.

I guess the law is my Gawd is right, and who cares about yours? That's more internet dis-information than it is reality, btw!
www.pedrosena.com
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 11:49
FROM VENETO...

Altera Nexa, from Padua...

You can listen to their debut album, No Borders, here:

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 00:03
FROM TOSCANA...

Venghanza, from Florence...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 12:03
FROM EMILIA...

Haiku, jazz-rock from Bologna...

More info:
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 11:47
FROM LOMBARDIA...

Spectrvm, from Cantù...

More info:
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 17:25
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I vaguely remember back in the day the track Celebration being played on radio a bit. I purchased Chocolate Kings probably about 15 years after it's release when it first became available on CD. Did nothing for me tbh. Looking back now with the benefit of hindsight it seems that PFM were becoming more technical at that time and losing some of the 'feel' they had in those classic early releases. It's not a bad album but nothing stands out to me.
Recently I've added a load of Italian releases (modern and old) to my listening rota but there is so much music being put out to just concentrate on one thing so it's a very slow catch up for me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 46474849>