FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant albums re-released digitally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 15:12
Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge BigMcLargehuge wrote:

These new remasters are AWESOME.  I was gifted with a few of the 35th anniversary remasters a few years back.  I always though the In a Glass House remaster was terrible.  Lots of humming and buzzing (especially at the beginning of Experience).  These new remasters are crystal clear.  I'm probably going to slowly replace the 35th anniv. cd's with these.  
I agree about the 35th anniversary remaster of In A Glass House. I did wonder if it was even from the original master tape.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 15:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

These new remasters are AWESOME.  I was gifted with a few of the 35th anniversary remasters a few years back.  I always though the In a Glass House remaster was terrible.  Lots of humming and buzzing (especially at the beginning of Experience).  These new remasters are crystal clear.  I'm probably going to slowly replace the 35th anniv. cd's with these.  
I agree about the 35th anniversary remaster of In A Glass House. I did wonder if it was even from the original master tape.

I have no idea what the source tape was, but I agree about how absolutely dreadful it is. That painful listen kept me away from Gentle Giant for quite a while. Then I found The Power and the Glory and Playing the Fool on vinyl Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 15:17
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have no idea what the source tape was, but I agree about how absolutely dreadful it is. That painful listen kept me away from Gentle Giant for quite a while. Then I found The Power and the Glory and Playing the Fool on vinyl Smile

THe Power and the Glory is a real gemThumbs Up. I havn't yet got Playing The Fool but I'm sure I will.

I have just ordered the 2010 remaster of In A Glass House. Determined to get into this album if it kills meBig smile

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 18:03
It would be nice if they are reissued with the original cover art. I never liked the octopus in the jar as compared to the Roger Dean cover for Octopus.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 09:29
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

It would be nice if they are reissued with the original cover art. I never liked the octopus in the jar as compared to the Roger Dean cover for Octopus.

Weirdly, I always preferred the US cover. Anyway, the remasters in question are only spanning from IAGH to GFAD (I think) due to legal rights and whatnot. However, I'm pretty sure the most recent Octopus remaster has the Dean artwork...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 15:19
The 2010 remaster of In A Glass House is so much better ,crisper and more dynamic sounding although there is still some audible hiss at times but not such that its spoils the listening. Now I can listen to this properly.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 19:14

Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

[/QUOTE]
My vinyl copy was the octopus in the jar and the cover was cut to the outline of the jar. Big smile  Not sure if it survived the flood.  Still have to inventory the surviving LPs.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12