Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoundscape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundscape
    Posted: November 02 2009 at 19:34
Quote Soundscape biography
SOUNDSCAPE is a progressive metal act formed in 1995 in Southbury, Connecticut, United States. The band was formed by lead vocalist/ keyboardist Rob Thorne (Rob Volpintesta), Guitatist/ vocalist Todd Rose, bassist/ vocalist Scott Waite and drummer Phil Suarez. Phil Suarez would later be replaced by Lou Caldarola.

SOUNDSCAPEīs debut full-length studio album "Discovery" was completed in June 1996 and released in 1997. The band recorded their second full-length studio album "Grave New World" in 1998 but due to various difficulties the album was not released until the 23rd of June 2009 in a remixed and remastered form.

SOUNDSCAPE is not a classic progressive metal act ( Read: not a DREAM THEATER clone), but rather draws influences from many genres. Bands like EXTREME and GALACTIC COWBOYS could be references.

SOUNDSCAPEīs inclusion in the Prog Archives database was approved by the Progressive Metal Team.

( Biography written by UMUR)

it's nice to see them added to this site's website, and I would hope it will allow more people to get to know and like their music. For that, I applaud PA.

I'm curious though, while the bio there is rather brief, I'm wondering about the source.

is "UMUR" someone who is on this site? And if so, I mainly am wondering about the 2nd-to-last paragraph.

SOUNDSCAPE is not a classic progressive metal act ( Read: not a DREAM THEATER clone), but rather draws influences from many genres. Bands like EXTREME and GALACTIC COWBOYS could be references.

which I would agree, they do not sound like "classic progressive metal" (if there is such a thing) and they draw from many influences. I don't recall being aware those specific influences being Extreme nor The Galactic Cowboys.

Having been one of their biggest fans and supporters for over 10 years, I would personally not list those 2 groups as strong (or much if any) influence on them. Who might be? For starters, Fates Warning. They even played on the Fates Warning tribute cd "Through Different Eyes" (recording a cool synth-driven version of "Fata Morgana").

Among others, Queensryche and Rush would certainly make more sense to me. Extreme and TGC might fall in there, in mainly the fact they have an 80's Hair Metal element at times and namely Thorne, their singer/keyboardist also is known for his work with 80's Metal band Sacred Oath.

But honestly, those are more secondary. I'd even say groups like Kansas or Marillion their sound shares more in common with rather the smaller points of 80's Metal that one might notice in their sound.

The biggest point I guess is, someone who reads that bio might think they have more of an influence from that style of Metal than they actually do. So, it would be my suggestion to add-to their bio about that or modify that 2nd to last paragraph.

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 02:17

Thanks for the critique allthough itīs not really the right place to post it ( Iīd say that might be here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60, but I would actually have appreciated that you send me a PM first)

That aside I actually heard influences from those two bands in the songs I listened to on the myspace but maybe Iīm wrong? Iīll gladly change the 2nd last paragraph with a sentence you write ( and Iīll credit you for helping out) and if you want to totally re-write the bio thatīs OK with me too. It would actually be great if someone who knows more about the band would volounteer to write a bio ( mind you itīs got to be an original bio. Not copy/ pasted from wiki, myspace or official homepage). About the brief nature of the bio you got to remember that we have lots of acts waiting for an inclusion and a short bio is better than no bio and no inclusion right? In this case I weighted the fact that Soundscape has released an album in 2009 higher than writing a long detailed bio. I wanted the album to appear on the frontpage of PA to give the bandīs inclusion in the database more exposure. That wouldnīt have happened if no one had written a bio before next year or the year after that.

As said above youīre welcome to PM me with any changes you would like to have made to the bio ( written sentences).
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 02:44
Iīve thought it over and deleted the mentioned paragraph from the bio. The offer about writing additional lines for the bio of course still stands.
DTkeysplayer16 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2009 at 12:02
I just happened to find these guys the other day. They were excellent.
"...and though the time will come when dream and day unite
tonight the only consolation causing him to fight
in fearless faith in destiny."
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 02:22
^

Thumbs Up

They are indeed!
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA