Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Txoko Digital
    Posted: November 07 2009 at 04:05
Hi, I just detected this website which extracts info fromProgArchives pages

album info
reviews

what do you think about that - is it a benefit?
I'm not familiar with the language - does someone know the purpose of this website?

Edited by Rivertree - November 07 2009 at 04:07

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 07:30
The language is Spanish. Hopefully that's not too obvious a statement.

Here's  translation (online software version) of the info page.
Sorry for the large extract.

Fact from Agurain, the heart of the Alava lowland, and with vocation of hacerte to arrive the news, pajeos and reflections you vary with a common denominator, the humor and, in short whiles, something of bad wafer… The contents that you are going to find look for to learn to enjoy the joys of the life Web 2,0 and the healthy use of the new technologies. Other subjects will be the cinema and the reading, the music, with special attention to the progressive rock or progrock, the melodic rock, AOR or westcoast and the metal (in the variety the taste goes, that say). Science fiction also will have its space, as well as the latest on free software for GNU/Linux and Mac OSX, operating systems with which work (and I enjoy). The fights, denunciations and vindications also will have their space in Digital Txoko, those things that infuriate to me and they animate to me, the people who complaint, resists,… fight to change this system in which they force to us to subsist. It is possible that you have known Digital Txoko with another appearance and technologies. The creation process has happened through different stages, from the Wordpress of the beginnings to the Drupal that you enjoy now, happening through Joomla, among others, always with free software as it bases. I have concentrated in Drupal, by the power, control, stability and semantic tools that offer I am enjoying and it like a crazy person; -). Little by little I will be overturning interesting tricks, Webs, tools, pieces of code and others that I have used in the process of beginning of Drupal. It enjoys and, you do not cut yourself, comments!

Unqoute
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 07:57
thanks JD Smile

does not look like a commercial site but seems to be dubious nevertheless because using copyrighted content from this site (at least concerning the reviews).
I have mixed feelings with that because it's promotion for ProgArchives on the other hand ... Confused

Edited by Rivertree - November 07 2009 at 07:57

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:08
It is only now that I find out that PA claims copyright for anything on it (like reviews, definitions, essays etc.) That's funny, I didn't expect it at all. 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:26
How could you not expect a site with original material to claim copyright on that material? But I do have to wonder how many bio's on PA are "lifted" or piece mealed together from other sources without acknowledgement. Do the PA admins do a  check on this kind of thing? My biggest concern is that the source material on this Txoko site is not credited to PA or that permission may not have been sought. Maybe now that it's apparent that this site has done this the PA admin group might decide to take action. They would certainly have my support.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:35
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

How could you not expect a site with original material to claim copyright on that material? 

Well, being informed, is that good for an answer? For example, Wikipedia, the largest and most important colaborative internet website, does not claim copyright. The content is not licensed with copyright but with the Creative Commons license.

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 07 2009 at 08:36
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:42
every site owner has the copyright on the content what I know - so (without having a pariticular compliance) it's basically illegal to copy text or images from a website

There is a grey area though ... nearly all of the album cover pics here are copyrighted claiming law and order ... on the other hands the artist/labels are getting promotion here

in this case Txoko Digital points to the source JD - so I don't mind - if it's a give and take ...

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:51
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

How could you not expect a site with original material to claim copyright on that material? 

Well, being informed, is that good for an answer? For example, Wikipedia, the largest and most important colaborative internet website, does not claim copyright. The content is not licensed with copyright but with the Creative Commons license.

Yes - Wikipedia defines an exception here from the common law which allows the use of articles for personal or business goals ...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 08:54
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Yes - Wikipedia defines an exception here from the common law which allows the use of articles for personal or business goals ...

It's not an "exception" any more; the CC license is now a legal instrument just as valid as the Copyright. It's use has exploded especially for music and online content. It has also been already with success in several legal trials.

[Even I have licensed my blog under a CC license Tongue]

Edited by harmonium.ro - November 07 2009 at 08:59
 Post Reply Post Reply