FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill The Real Wishbone Ash Please Stand Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will The Real Wishbone Ash Please Stand Up
    Posted: November 07 2009 at 14:50

11/7/2009 - Redding, CT USA – Founding member of the legendary classic rock band Wishbone Ash, Andy Powell, is setting the record straight about the recent controversy surrounding the ownership and usage of the group's name. A band fronted by another founding member, Martin Turner, is also being promoted as Wishbone Ash, creating confusion among fans and press.

“It’s local promoters taking advantage of the good work this band has been doing,” said Powell. Most recently, Martin Turner’s German shows have been promoted under the Wishbone Ash moniker, prompting Powell to seek legal recourse. “Myself and the band’s business partners—people who have worked for years to keep the band treading the boards and keeping the recorded catalog current—see it as a raiding party,” said Powell. “I am now taking legal action in respect of this infringement of my trade mark. It’s time to stop this nonsense.”

Powell, a guitar legend in his own right, and the only remaining founding member, has recorded and toured exclusively under the Wishbone Ash banner since 1969--more than 40 years. In the last 20 years alone, Wishbone Ash has released 15 CDs (including nine studio releases) and five DVDs. None of these has featured Martin Turner. The band’s most recent release, The Power of Eternity, has garnered rave reviews from the music press internationally.

During the band’s early history, the lineup changed several times, with founding members leaving and rejoining. When, in 1993, Powell became the sole remaining original member, there was no thought of calling it a day. Powell later registered the trade mark Wishbone Ash in 1998. He has maintained the mark since then, producing numerous DVDs and CDs of new material. In addition to being co-writer on the majority of the recorded works, he’s performed around 4,000 Ash shows worldwide.

"My mandate was to simply carry forward with the band," Powell said, "as has always been the case since 1974 when the first member to leave, Ted Turner, tendered his resignation. This continuity has overwhelmingly always been what the fans have wanted, and they proved that in the early 1990s by backing our recording and promotion of the album Illuminations. At no time did I consider the band dead; we'd been through worse”.

In recent years Martin Turner registered www.wishboneash.co.uk . He then tentatively resurfaced using the name 'Wishbone featuring Martin Turner' performing Wishbone Ash songs from the very early part of the band's career. All was fine for a year or so until the name of Martin Turner’s band was changed to Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash. His ".co.uk" website started pushing the Wishbone Ash aspect of the name firmly to the fore. Then, making matters worse, some Turner gigs were actually being promoted as ‘Wishbone Ash’ concerts. Fans who turned up expecting the long-running Powell-fronted band were disappointed and confused. Journalists who were unaware of the band’s history sometimes wrote about Turner’s band as if it actually were Wishbone Ash. Inevitably, this sparked claims of ‘passing off ’ from Wishbone Ash and its business partners.

"Over the years, band members had left in a piecemeal fashion to pursue solo careers and other ventures," said Powell. "Anyone who has followed the band knows that Martin Turner, for example, quit in 1980 and again in 1991 after a brief three-year reunion.” After leaving in '91 Martin produced a solo album. “His own website says that he'd 'moved on' from Wishbone Ash, using the name Martin Turner and calling the CD Walking the Reeperbahn,” said Powell. “This had nothing to do with Wishbone Ash and seemed to be a move on Martin Turner's part to distance himself from the band and take his career in another direction. His website actually at one point admitted that I was a continuous member of the one true band and that he was not."

Founded in England in 1969, WishboneAsh has released more than 30 albums to date, and has been touted as one of the first dual-guitar rock bands. Rolling Stone magazine counted Ash guitarists Andy Powell and Ted Turner among the world’s top 20 best of all time. The group’s 1972 classic release, Argus, was voted Album Of The Year by readers of UK’s Melody Maker and NME. It was remixed and reissued in 2002 as a special 30th anniversary edition and consequently was the fastest selling reissue in MCA’s history. Powell’s name is synonymous with the Gibson Flying V. Over the years, he has been prominently featured in such notable publications as Guitar, Guitarist and, most recently, Vintage Guitar. He has also recorded with the likes of George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Stewart Copeland and Renaissance.

Wishbone Ash’s current line-up also features former Gringos Locos guitarist Jyrki “Muddy” Manninen, a five-year Ash veteran who brings a rootsy style to the band with his slide playing. Bassist Bob Skeat has been in Wishbone Ash for 12 years and has also in the past, worked with everyone from Colin Blunstone, Gilbert O’Sullivan and Chris Farlowe to Princess Stephanie of Monaco. Interestingly, he worked with Ash’s other 1970s guitar titan, Laurie Wisefield, in Brian May’s musical hit “We Will Rock You.” Drummer Joe Crabtree has worked with the likes of King Crimson's David Cross and Pendragon.

Wishbone Ash has embarked on an intensive tour plan taking the band 'round to next July in celebration of its 40th anniversary. The October tour of the UK began on the 2nd and ends the first week of November. Then in January 2010 the band hits the road again for the Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavia. Canada's blues prodigy, Jimmy Bowskill, will be opening for the band on this six-week tour. For a complete list of tour dates and venues, visit www.wishboneash.com/tourdates. In addition, the band will revisit Warsaw and Poznan in Poland, along with the Czech Republic. A USA East Coast tour is in the final booking stages, planned for March 2010. Italy and Switzerland will also be visited this time around, just prior to the usual spring UK tour. A USA West Coast tour and a possible Far East visit are being discussed for June. The new DVD Wishbone Ash 40 - Live in London was released in Europe on Oct. 10. This 40th anniversary show from Shepherd's Bush Empire was produced by RCN TV, the same team who made the highly acclaimed Wishbone Ash Live in Hamburg DVD.

For more information visit the official Wishbone Ash website: www.wishboneash.com

The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 23:42
This just sounds like Ash management trying to give Andy Powell some air-time...
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 05:58
It seems a pity that so much energy is spent bickering over the use of the name. If the same effort was made to heal the woulds, we might actually see a genuine Wishbone Ash resurfacing. Having just one member of the original line up in either band is disappointing for the fans  either way.

It is always a shame when the legal disputes appear to take precedence over the music.
Starless View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 06:22
Not knowing of the internicine strife, I saw "Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash" (as they were then billed) last year, and a fine racket they made too. Having just bought the remastered Argus, and then seeing most of that great album played live was jolly good fun!
Reading this post I can understand why Andy Powell would be pissed off that MT's band has slowly morphed into another version of Wishbone Ash, which does indeed lead to some confusion amongst fans and the press. Surely MT must have been aware that he was infringing a trademark? As Easy Livin' says above, would not both parties energies be better expended trying to come to some amicable agreement, even a reunion of some sort?
Mind you, ageing rock stars falling out over the use of a band moniker - never happened before has it??! Wink

Beware of the flowers, cos they're gonna get you yet!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 06:48
I have seen both Wishbone Ash and Martin Turners Wishbone Ash live and both were brilliant, things are quite clear for me but i can understand Powell's concern that young fans could be confused, and also the situation is irritating for him.

I hope they receive an amicable solution, though Martin Turner could tour and record as "Wishbone's Loss"  LOL

Prog Archives Tour Van
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2009 at 09:21
What a pity, figthing about a band's name.

They should concentrate in the music that is the prime factor.

ZeD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 12:14
Hi!

This is my first post, actually after reading this site for many years I wanted to register now and say my opinion about situation. I am big fan of Wishbone Ash. I've been a fan for a very short time, about 2 years, and my favorite period is from mid 70's to 82.
I am bassist myself and big fan of Martin Turner, one of best bassists out there. He can play, compose and sing. Martin Turner was one of the main songwriter before he was forced to leave the band. Andy Powell on the other hand started writing songs in late 70's -  long after all those classic albums. I liked Martins direction and agree with him that "Just Testing" was great album! Andy on the other hand started making quite bad and nonsence albums... couple of more recent albums are pretty OK but that has actually nothing to do with Wishbone Ash as we used to know. I get angry about Powell's statement that he is only true Wishbone Ash. Well after listening both's recent live recordings I happen to like Martin's Wishbone Ash more.
Legally Andy Powell has right to use Wishbone Ash as a band name and others don't, etc. OK. But instead of working together, celebrating 40th anniversary together, pleasing fans etc...  Powell is wining! Why, oh why???
Martin Turner deserves a lot more credit than he is getting these days. Without him, there wouldn't be Wishbone Ash, Argus and other excellent albums!
http://www.myspace.com/ecthalion
Starless View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2009 at 16:26
Originally posted by ZeD ZeD wrote:

Hi!

Andy Powell on the other hand started writing songs in late 70's -  long after all those classic albums. 

This is a wind up surely?? If not, do your research before making such sweeping statements! Confused
ZeD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 01:56
Hi Starless, I understand what do you mean, it would be more correct to say that he has been co-author before. There are credits like "written by Wishbone Ash and " Andy Powell, Martin Turner, Ted Turner, Steve Upton". Yes, he has been in creating process, but most job was still done by Martin and Ted Turner. Andy's first song was released somewhere in 1978 if I am not wrong.
Starless View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 09:39
Zed

I can appreciate that English is probably not your first language, and maybe something is lost in translation, but I would think a group composition is exactly that, and unless you were actually there when the song was crafted it would be impossible to say who contributed the most to any particular song.
As I said in my earlier post, the real tragedy is that there is a split in the camp, regardless of whose fault it is. They should cooperate with each other and give the fans a proper Ash reunion!
Incidentally, and this is a purely subjective statement I know, but Wishbone Ash's classic era is before 1975, not after, with the legendary Turner/Powell/Turner/Upton lineup. If you've yet to discover the delights of Pilgrimage, Argus, Live Dates etc, you've a real treat in store.
Smile

Edited by Starless - November 17 2009 at 09:40
ZeD View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2009 at 17:03
Starless, that is what I wrote: "Andy Powell on the other hand started writing songs in late 70's -  long after all those classic albums". Sorry for my English, but that is excactly what I ment - that classic era was in early 70's! It is is pretty clear :).
Anyways, It is all discussed before us, and everybody is welcomed to read this article and its comments!
The fact is that MT was main songwriter - music and lyrics-wise compared to AP from beginning till '80. That was the era where WA became famous.
AP has ego problems, it seemes that he can't stand better musicians as he is in his band. Take Trevor Bolder and John Wetton for example! He thinks that his flying V and deedly-doodly is the only true trademark of Wishbone Ash. (OK, maybe it is also now a baseball cap too) Sad Cry
I am sorry for my brave opinion and honest thoughts...

Ghostmojo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 07:39
Starless, it is you that needs to do a little more research on the subject of Wishbone Ash mate, and exactly who wrote what. Martin Turner has recently clarified that he wrote the bulk of "Argus" (Blowin' Free back in the 60s before he even formed WA). Watch the Making of Argus DVD where he discusses it with a nodding in agreement Ted Turner also present. Martin, Ted and Laurie Wisefield wrote the bulk of the material from the classic (genuine) periods. It is true that many of the songs were credited as band compositions in the first line-up. This was something they agreed to - partly because that was the original idea - partly to give Steve Upton some return (since he was doing a lot of managing for the band). However, it didn't work out that way and ultimately they started to credit the songs to the main composers. Martin has said he was busy for months writing Argus (and not just the words) whilst the others came up with little or nothing when it came down to it. Somebody has to bring the basic things into the studio - he did that with 6 of the 7 songs. The band them worked them up. Steve wrote the lyrics to Leaf and Stream. The band added the music. Ted wrote the intro part to Time Was. Steve also helped with some lyrics to The King Will Come. Andy wrote the guitar intro motif to The King Will Come and intro chords to Throw Down The Sword. The rest was by Martin Turner pretty much. He re-recorded his own version of "Argus" last year. Whether that was worth doing or not is an arguable point, but separate from the fact that he did it because it was his baby. It was never anybody elses' despite attempts by certain parties to muddy the waters surrounding all of this. If you don't believe Martin Turner - ask Ted Turner...
Ghostmojo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2009 at 07:45
Anybody who cares enough to want to know the truth about Wishbone Ash history surely would want to hear from both sides. You could start by reading this lot:

Ghostmojo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 07:36
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

I have seen both Wishbone Ash and Martin Turners Wishbone Ash live and both were brilliant, things are quite clear for me but i can understand Powell's concern that young fans could be confused, and also the situation is irritating for him.

But just think Fred, how irritating it is for Martin Turner, Ted Turner and Steve Upton. They equally own the rights to the NAME of Wishbone Ash and its business interests (which they never renounced or sold) and as residual property owners, should have been informed when their erstwhile colleague decided to form a completely new band in 1995 composed of three unknown Americans and himself - and try and pass it off as the real Wishbone Ash.

Andy Powell has no right to be remotely irritated. He should thank his lucky stars he has managed to pull this fast one off for as long as he has done, and should sheepishly retire to the wings having been finally brought to book over this ongoing bogus operation.

Young fans aren't confused. Why should they be? All they have to do is read a little. The information is easy to find with the internet. However, I am aware that many fans in general have been disappointed over the years. Turning up expecting to see Martin and Ted perhaps, or maybe Laurie, alongside Powell and instead finding only the latter (struggling vocally through Martin's, Ted's, and Laurie's songs) with whoever happened to be in the Andy Powell band that week.

Quote I hope they receive an amicable solution, though Martin Turner could tour and record as "Wishbone's Loss" 

Martin Turner could record and tour as Wishbone Ash if he chose to. He has publicly stated as much and has the legal, moral, and musical rights to do so. He has been busy reclaiming much of his own heritage from a former colleague in recent years. Martin was the defacto leader of the band throughout its classic period. He wrote most of the stuff, sang most of it, and cajoled the others into making more of an effort. He was the artistic driving force behind Wishbone Ash between 1969 and 1980, and the band was never the same after he left.

An amicable situation was presented to them recently as I understand it. It involved a reunion of the original band (or a majority version). It wasn't, Turner, Upton or Turner who scuppered it though. All of this is on public record. The situation regarding Andy Powell's promotion of himself and his own interests as a bogus Wishbone Ash is one of the longest running farces in rock music. It really is time it came to an end.
 Post Reply Post Reply