Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from sunny Swansea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from sunny Swansea
    Posted: November 18 2009 at 15:40
Hi, only just registered, but I have been trawling through the archives for a couple of years now. I'm a massive Tool fan, and that was my introduction to prog, (all my mates liked dream theater, but I just don't get em). Then I got into Van Der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Rush, and Genesis (up to Trick Of The Tail). Recently just got into Krautrock in a big, big way, and now I dont really listen to anything if its not early 70's and German! My current faves are Agitation Free, Ash Ra Tempel, NEU! and Popol Vuh (Tantric Songs is the most beautiful album in existence!)
Anyway, enough of my ramblings, see you around
Colourful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 16:13
So welcome here on PA (great site, I think), and keep proggin' ! :-)
Your Ma(d)jesty,awful,mean girl.

I wanna hold Red Special at last once in my life ...
I love my prog boy.
Neurotarkus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 20:13
I love krautrock and other German bands. If you haven't already, check out Can, Faust, Amon Duul II, Kraftwerk, all are astounding bands. Besides that, welcome to PA, just about everything you need is here.
"I cannot grasp the concept of love, for I am a pickle!"
-Neurotarkus

I create musics. Good Ones. Contact me if you desire it.
sludgecraft View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 02:57
Originally posted by Neurotarkus Neurotarkus wrote:

I love krautrock and other German bands. If you haven't already, check out Can, Faust, Amon Duul II, Kraftwerk, all are astounding bands. Besides that, welcome to PA, just about everything you need is here.
I have heard Can, although they are a bit far out for me, I have the Anthology album, and the only track I really like is Mother Sky, I also have Ege Bamyasi, but again, it s a bit far out. I got Yeti by Amon Duul II ages ago, but again they were rather weird, maybe i should give them another chance. What albums would you recommend?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by sludgecraft sludgecraft wrote:

Popol Vuh (Tantric Songs is the most beautiful album in existence!)

I still need to check out some Popol Vuh.  The 2-for-1 of Tantric Songs and Hosianna Mantra just barely missed being ordered tonight by me for Christmas, it's one of the next few I'm going to get.  As far as Amon Düül II goes, Yeti is probably my favorite of their albums, and I'd say it's pretty representative of their sound. 

Anyways, welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Big smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 02:58

Hi, only just registered, but I have been trawling through the archives for a couple of years now. I'm a massive Tool fan, and that was my introduction to prog, (all my mates liked dream theater, but I just don't get em). Then I got into Van Der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Rush, and Genesis (up to Trick Of The Tail). Recently just got into Krautrock in a big, big way, and now I dont really listen to anything if its not early 70's and German! My current faves are Agitation Free, Ash Ra Tempel, NEU! and Popol Vuh (Tantric Songs is the most beautiful album in existence!)
Anyway, enough of my ramblings, see you around
Are you the same Swansea Sludgecraft that played The Red Eye, Islington back in 2000/2001?
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 04:02
HAHAAAA! Indeed I am, how weird is that?  We split up in 2005, owing to insanity issues. I was the drummer, and one of the (relatively) sane ones! I guess you were there then, our only gig outside Wales, and one of the few outside Swansea
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 04:05

HAHAAAA! Indeed I am, how weird is that?  We split up in 2005, owing to insanity issues. I was the drummer, and one of the (relatively) sane ones! I guess you were there then, our only gig outside Wales, and one of the few outside Swansea
Yep, I was there - you, Season's End and the Sin Die Cult (or however they spelt it) LOL 
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 04:18
tbh, I was trying to remember the names of the other bands, all I remember was one was a seven piece goth band who were well crammed on that tiny stage, then when we went on everyone vanished to the back of the venue, and the last band were really good. Now I know their names though (cheers) Did you have a good night? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 04:26
...I remember the gig because the promoter did a runner and no one got paid, and that the sound engineer said our to drummer (we were the goth band, I was their manager) "You're not a drummer..." dagger looks from Paul... "you're a bloody percussionist!"
What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 05:08
Lol I didnt even know that gig was a payer! we just thought we'd have a trip to london and play a gig (which funnily enough is exactly what we did). Was the sound engineer that old stoner woman?  when we said we were Welsh, she said 'aah sheep shaggers eh?' to which our guitarist replied 'we shag welsh sheep coz they're prettier than english women' (still his wittiest ever comment to date). I still cant believe you guys fitted all that stuff on the stage!
I joined a new band about 2 years ago (when I left sludgecraft I didnt want to play the drums anymore) but I really enjoy it. More of a 70's blues rock kinda feel, with a sprinkling of prog on top!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 09:12
Welcome to PA! I'm not a Krautrock - fan, but the good thing about PA is that it is a very broad site with lots of styles to discover.
Neurotarkus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 10:40

I have heard Can, although they are a bit far out for me, I have the Anthology album, and the only track I really like is Mother Sky, I also have Ege Bamyasi, but again, it s a bit far out. I got Yeti by Amon Duul II ages ago, but again they were rather weird, maybe i should give them another chance. What albums would you recommend?

I like Ege Bamyasi, though I don't think it's their best, it can get a bit too... soupy, I guess you could say. My favorites from Can are Monster Movie and Tago Mago, though Tago is sorta hit or miss. As for Amon Duul II, they are indeed weird, and I've only heard Yeti. With a lot of krautrock, it took a while for it to get ingrained, but once it did, it was worth it. At first, Can bored me, but then I got into Mushroom, then Oh Yeah, then Halleluwah, and soon I was addicted. And Faust's Kraurock was really unimpressive at first, but after a bit of effort given to Faust and Faust IV, I was addicted to them too. This kind of music only works weith certain kinds of people, though, so if you can't get into it after significant effort, it's best to just give up.
"I cannot grasp the concept of love, for I am a pickle!"
-Neurotarkus

I create musics. Good Ones. Contact me if you desire it.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 11:57

I like Ege Bamyasi, though I don't think it's their best, it can get a bit too... soupy, I guess you could say. My favorites from Can are Monster Movie and Tago Mago, though Tago is sorta hit or miss. As for Amon Duul II, they are indeed weird, and I've only heard Yeti. With a lot of krautrock, it took a while for it to get ingrained, but once it did, it was worth it. At first, Can bored me, but then I got into Mushroom, then Oh Yeah, then Halleluwah, and soon I was addicted. And Faust's Kraurock was really unimpressive at first, but after a bit of effort given to Faust and Faust IV, I was addicted to them too. This kind of music only works weith certain kinds of people, though, so if you can't get into it after significant effort, it's best to just give up.

The problem with Amon Duul II and Can are when I say weird, I mean 'hectic'. Its almost like avant garde jazz, and while I quite like a bit of avant garde from time to time, I find the most rewarding listens personally are the more spiritual/mellower stuff like Ash Ra Tempel and Popol Vuh. Neu!'s first album is hard to fault either (I like the watery theme). Being a drummer I also like  songs with a good groove, hence my liking for Mother Sky by Can, I know Ash Ra Tempel get a bit weird, so do Agitation Free, but i like the complete almost out of body experience that these bands give me in their mellower moments. But by far the most rewarding thing, the thing that sets krautrock apart from any other genre is the fact nobody sounds like anyone else. Discovering prog was the most life changing event since I started listening to music, but now, the discovery of krautrock has surpassed that. I can see my girlfriend will be getting bored of me ordering obscure cd's online! It was all I could do to get her into The Dave Mathews Band (it has now replaced Lady Gaga in the car stereo) but I cant honestly see her getting into Faust, (although if only I could get my 2yr old into it.....)LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply