Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan We Get Another Beatles thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can We Get Another Beatles thread?
    Posted: November 18 2009 at 21:23
Seriously, I've seen around five of them on the first two pages. It seems wherever I go I cannot get away from them. Every time I go to a music store, They get their own section. I go to my friends house, they have to put on a Beatles LP. I can't even get away from it at school. My Social Studies plays the stuff when we're doing our work. 

I guess my question is, why do people feel compelled to talk about/ worship the Beatles? I understand their music was a major influence on later Rock acts but come on. Frankly, I don't see much merit in any of their work pre-65 and the later output still isn't as great as people have told me. Can someone just please explain to me the bizarre idol worship that centralizes around these musical figures?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 21:38
Their music is good enough to warrant it. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 21:58
I despise the Beatles with an absolutely unmatched passion, so I know how you feel. I have no answer to this question; I've also wondered it myself.

I feel about them with the same intensity that Rico feels about Kraftwerk. I'd rather listen to 99% of other music; but if other people like it, whatever.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:04
Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason your Social Studies plays it?  Why do people feel compelled to talk about any musicians?
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:07
I heard their music was written by aliens

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I heard their music was written by aliens

Maybe we should have looked into that before we added them to the site.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:15
it's chariots of the gods, man
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:22
"Chariot of the Gods"   Lennon/McCartney   rare B side and the first link to their alien knowledge and use of backward messages, Paul is dead ... now he isn't ... helter skelter, Charlie Manson, Beach Boys, Brian Wilson. Check the figures on Sgt Peppers, you can see Hendrix and Marilyn, but where is Brian Wilson?!?!?

Edited by Easy Money - November 18 2009 at 22:28
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:22
If people didn't worship them I would like them more.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2009 at 22:31
George Martin was a pretty talented guy and The Beatles had some other talented people involved with them to get them recognition.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 02:06
I first heard the Beatles in 1962 when "Love Me Do" came over on our old radio - every time the Beatles came on again my Mother would call me to listen.

I was fairly interested in Rock'n'Roll before that moment - Lonnie Donegan, Buddy Holly, Perry Como, many hits of the day, but this group was different, i became obsessed with every scrap of material i could find about the Beatles.  By 1963 there were other people just as keen as me, everyone at school,  the Queen wanted to meet them, the whole of the USA wanted to meet them...it was crazy.

Why all this adulation for a band that had struggled for years to get any kind of recognition, or even a recording contract..?  Answer - QUALITY, PERSONALITY, ORIGINALITY.

There will never be another Beatles in my lifetime, they were in the right place at the right time and they were GOOD - the reason new generations of people still love them is because they were more than good, they were brilliant - good songs, good music, good producer - everything was right, they led the field for years and are still influential.

After all these years the magic is still there, i still play their records occasionally, they are still the greatest...
so there...Tongue

Edited by mystic fred - November 19 2009 at 02:11
Prog Archives Tour Van
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 02:19
I don't understand how some people can literally DESPISE The Beatles as much as they do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with their music. Don't like them? Don't listen to them, but when you're out and about and/or at a friend's house, chances are you're going to hear their music from time to time, because like it or not, the majority of people like them.

I mean, I personally don't like Fall Out Boy, but they are very popular right now, so I do hear their tunes playing in stores occasionally. Yet you don't see me creating a whole thread dedicated to my dislike of them. Nor do I question why somebody else would listen to them. The way I see it, there's room enough for everybody in the music world.

I swear, have The Beatles become the new Dream Theater of these forums due to the remastered releases? Grow up, folks.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 04:01
Originally posted by Xanthous Xanthous wrote:

Seriously, I've seen around five of them on the first two pages. It seems wherever I go I cannot get away from them. Every time I go to a music store, They get their own section. I go to my friends house, they have to put on a Beatles LP. I can't even get away from it at school. My Social Studies plays the stuff when we're doing our work. 

I guess my question is, why do people feel compelled to talk about/ worship the Beatles? I understand their music was a major influence on later Rock acts but come on. Frankly, I don't see much merit in any of their work pre-65 and the later output still isn't as great as people have told me. Can someone just please explain to me the bizarre idol worship that centralizes around these musical figures?
If your concern is the number of threads about the Beatles, it would probably have been better to add your thoughts to an existing thread.Wink
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 04:29
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by Xanthous Xanthous wrote:

If your concern is the number of threads about the Beatles, it would probably have been better to add your thoughts to an existing thread.Wink

Classic. Clap
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 05:53
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

I despise the Beatles with an absolutely unmatched passion, so I know how you feel. I have no answer to this question; I've also wondered it myself.

I feel about them with the same intensity that Rico feels about Kraftwerk. I'd rather listen to 99% of other music; but if other people like it, whatever.

Although I don't doubt your sincerity here, it strikes me as an odd sentiment. The Beatles are certainly not above revisionist criticism certainly, and yes, their uber slavish fans who cannot see past the year they split up are just both tiresome and plain vanilla sad BUT:

They single handedly created the platform from which musicians get to write and perform their own material (we take this for granted now) and experiment with equipment, sounds and compositional ideas hitherto deemed 'unviable' in the music industry. Although you could argue that such progression was inevitable in the fullness of time without their presence, I fear it would have taken much, much longer and we would have had to wait for as talented and successful a group (unlikely) to appear before the doors of Prog were finally opened.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 06:30
There are many reasone for being a Beatles fan (I'm one of them), but the main reason for me is that every single song they made had a fantastic melody. Might seem simplistic, but there's so much of the opposite around, that it warrents an extra mention.

These guys made a strong song melody and then arranged the rest around it.

I have a personal peeve with a lot of bands these days (Flower Kings, I'm looking at you), where someone just takes a number of chords, assembles them in arbitrary order, gives them a rhythm, then takes a few of those chords out, strategically replaces them with ones that sound a bit off, puts in an extra beat here and there, and then...wasn't there something else? Oh yes, they'll probably have to sing something as well. No idea what and how, but just take a few phrases, string them together meaninglessly (don't worry, they'll be interpreted in thousands of different ways) and what....? Melody? What was that again? Oh yes. Well, I dunno, just sing something. Anything at all. You don't know what? Well, just sing along to the chords. There you go, magic!

Hm.... just realized, probably the wrong thread, should have gone in Flower Kings Appreciation.  Big smile

Edited by npjnpj - November 19 2009 at 06:45
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 16:25
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

There are many reasone for being a Beatles fan (I'm one of them), but the main reason for me is that every single song they made had a fantastic melody. Might seem simplistic, but there's so much of the opposite around, that it warrents an extra mention.

I have a personal peeve with a lot of bands these days (Flower Kings, I'm looking at you), where someone just takes a number of chords, assembles them in arbitrary order, gives them a rhythm, then takes a few of those chords out, strategically replaces them with ones that sound a bit off, puts in an extra beat here and there, and then...wasn't there something else? Oh yes, they'll probably have to sing something as well. No idea what and how, but just take a few phrases, string them together meaninglessly (don't worry, they'll be interpreted in thousands of different ways) and what....? Melody? What was that again? Oh yes. Well, I dunno, just sing something. Anything at all. You don't know what? Well, just sing along to the chords. There you go, magic!

Hm.... just realized, probably the wrong thread, should have gone in Flower Kings Appreciation.  Big smile

Clap

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
splyu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 16:49
Uhm, The Beatles invented prog? Not single-handedly obviously but they helped it along big time. Name even one important prog rock band from the 70s that was not influenced by them!
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

There are many reasons for being a Beatles fan (I'm one of them), but the main reason for me is that every single song they made had a fantastic melody. Might seem simplistic, but there's so much of the opposite around, that it warrants an extra mention.

''Every single song'' is a bit off. Need I point out that The Beatles did an Avant-Garde song titled ''Revolution 9''? No melody whatsoever in that. ''Flying'' is an all instrumental track that many oldschool Beatles fans hated due to it's lack of melody. ''The Continuing Story of Bungalo Bill'' is a goofy track not aimed at having a proper melody at all, and is just for fun. The melody for ''Because'' is all over the place, and far from fantastic. ''You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)'' is yet another nonsensical track not aimed at true melody, as is ''Dig It'', and countless others that escape my memory at the moment.

Personally, I don't see what's so wrong with a band like Flower Kings OR The Beatles not having traditional melodies all the time. It's part of what Prog is about, and if you find that worth reprimanding artists over, I have to ask, why do you even listen to this genre of music?

Now, I'm not saying the guys bashing The Beatles are correct, either, but come on! The Beatles are primitive musically compared to all that came after them, and insulting a modern prog act because they can't write a pop song is nonsense and far from the point.

If you want to defend The Beatles, that's fine, I defended them too, but don't compare them to full-on Prog music as of they are somehow more deserving of praise because they can write easily-digestible tunes. It isn't fair or accurate. If Prog had been around before The Beatles, they would have done a lot more Prog stuff than they did; because they liked being creative and unusual. Time and circumstance dictated how The Beatles wrote songs; not actual compositional talent.

Edited by p0mt3 - November 19 2009 at 17:12
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2009 at 17:09
Originally posted by splyu splyu wrote:

Uhm, The Beatles invented prog? Not single-handedly obviously but they helped it along big time. Name even one important prog rock band from the 70s that was not influenced by them!

Jethro Tull . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>