Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedintroductions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: introductions
    Posted: May 18 2005 at 12:49
hello everyone, im new here. i wondered if i might learn a bit about some of the other posters and perhaps some of your musical tastes so that i can get a feeling for what goes on here. i hope to learn a bit from here to expand my horizons past what i typically listen to.

off hand some bands i often listen to are opeth, porcupine tree, mastodon, dillinger escape plan, meshuggah, and neurosis. im 23 and live in portland, oregon. glad to be here (so far anyway :)
matters of taste are not open to critique
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 12:58
Begin from start with the 60's and 70's
iscariot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 13:04
no kidding. its an unfortunate thing however that im not quite familiar enough with the genre at the time to really claim it as my own. ergo, here i be, to learn more, presumably, about just those time periods.

i am for the record however a fan of king crimson and camel. that much i can say right off
ita_prog_fan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 13:05

Originally posted by iscariot iscariot wrote:

opeth, porcupine tree, mastodon, dillinger escape plan, meshuggah, and neurosis.

Oh my GOD !  I've never listened to anything of these bands !

Probably 'cause i'm 46, with one of me you can make two of you !

Anyway heed flowerchild, start with '60 and '70 !

Entropia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 13:16
check out pain of salvation as well
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 13:38
Everything that push me from rock to jazz and even classical. Sorry, no space for the so called prog metal music.
Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 13:41
Judas.
vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 14:00

From the bands you've mentioned, I like opeth, porcupine tree, dillinger escape plan, meshuggah, and neurosis.

Overall, I like a lot more bands, most progressive metal,

In prog-rock I've liked most from what I've heard,

including even some of the most obscure and avant garde stuff.

But overall I'm pretty newb.

Try just reading some of the reviews here, download MP3s, read the forums e.t.c.

limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 14:58

Hey ita_prog_fan

Age has nothing to do with it. Having just reached the big 5 0 and thanks to this site I am having a fresh outlook on prog. The 70s was Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Rick Wakeman with a bit of Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Supertramp and a few Glam rock bands. The 80's and 90's were a bit of a desert what with house, kids etc but now in the new millenium WOW. I can now back catalog and hear some of the excellent new prog.

Check out Marrillion, IQ, Arena, Pain of Salvation, Nightwish, Rhapsody, Royal Hunt, Ayreon, Threshold, Spock's Beard, Savatage, Riverside, Renaissance, Anathema to begin with. That's if you are into metal and symphonic prog. Tried VDGG and Gentle Giant but couldn't get into them and I can't stand growling.

Try some of the downloads. It's worth it. Mind you I have spent a small fortune buying the CDs after hearing the downloads. A good marketing tool. Why don't more bands/labels get the message.

I normally listen through a decent pair of headphones and just drfit away. Ahhhhhh!!!!! bliss

WillieThePimp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 15:28

Since you're listening to some of the heavier stuff right now, i suggest the A's (Ark, Anekdoten, Anglagard, Ayreon). My introduction to prog came from metal, so I found those bands pretty accessible. After that I formed more psychadelic sort of taste and picked up things from Ozric Tentacles, earlier Pink Floyd (stuff that every one DIDN'T own like Piper at the Gates of Dawn), Nektar, Porcupine Tree and stuff like that. Now I prefer zeuhl, Jazz and folk related stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Guapo, Univers Zero, Paatos, , Magma, and Barclay James Harvest. Plus other bands that are just good like Opeth, Yes, A.C.T, The Flower Kings, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, King Crimson, Aphrodite's Child, Dream Theater and others that aren't even listed here so I won't bother. (I know lots of this music is almost genreless, but i'm trying to keep it organized.)

Edited by WillieThePimp
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket
iscariot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 15:56
marillion is another band ive been turned on to, if only in small doses. when i first heard ocean cloud i was blown away by it and was immediately jealous that it wasnt on the american release. on the other hand i picked up clutching at straws after finding it in a used bin, and was devastated by its cheesiness and wasnt able to listen to it more than once, not even all the way through. 
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:06
  • Hi, I'm 17, I always knew the big prog names due to my Dad's lp collection from the 70's, and these remain my favorite band's, (I have about 30-35 CD's Each from these):
  • Yes
  • Genesis
  • ELP
  • Jethro Tull
  • Pink Floyd
  • Renaissance
  • Moody Blues

However on this site I've found tons of great prog bands (i have about 10-15-20 cds from these bands), including:

• Camel    (georgeous mix of Floyd, Genesis, Jazz and classical, with great flute, guitar and keyboards)
  • King Crimson          ; ; ;     (great first four albums, good guitar, first album is a must have)
  • Gentle Giant         & amp; amp; nbsp;       (inaccessible but rewarding,   great composition and musicianship)
  • Van Der Graaf Generator        &am p;am p;nb sp; (dark but beautful poerty and great sax and hammond organ)
  • Caravan     (Jazz-Pop-Prog  =  Canterbury)
  • Hatfield and the North, Soft Machine, National Health (more canterbury)
  • Rush
  • Egg
  • Focus (excellent Dutch band,very classical, best guitar and flute you'll hear)
  • strawbs (prog folk great)
  • gryphon (even proggier prog folk)

Plus their are great Italian Bands:

• PFM, Banco, New Trolls, Le Orme, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Celeste....

STAY AWAY FROM DREAM THEATER!

okay this was a bit unfocused let me make it a bit clearer....

1st Tier Prog ---- Genesis, Yes, ELP  (The Three Essentials in my opinion)
2nd Tier Prog ---- Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Renaissance
King Crimson
3rd Tier ---- Camel, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, PFM, Caravan, Focus

Edited by NetsNJFan
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:02

Welcome aboard iscariot I like the avator!!

excellent

CYMRU AM BYTH
 Post Reply Post Reply