FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFocus Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focus Live
    Posted: May 18 2005 at 14:59
I saw Focus Live last night in Rio de Janeiro. What a difference from the 2003 show. (LOL) Comparing the two shows, I'd say that the one last night was a bit better. Two years ago, http://www.dprp.net/concrev/focus.htm the show was more "easy-going" and with less concerns on the technical part. The show went on smoothly and the presentation of Focus 8 was what the band was most engaged with. The fans on the othe hand wanted to hear the main tunes, Focus III, Eruption, Harem Scarem, Sylvia and Hocus Pocus. The show last night was techincally perfect, due to many good reasons. Thjiis van Leer is a happy man with a huge joy for playing live, specially in Rio ! He delivered a superp concert with many flute solos, some backed by a left hand on the legendary Hammond keys. Another reason was the re-apperance of Pierre van der Linden on drums. A common agreement among fans, yesterday, was that van der Lindens drumming gave Focus back the magic touch. Dummée's guitar playing is getting better and better and he definitly stepped out of Akkerman's shadow. I cant reproduce the track-list since I was in a total state of "Grace" but 3 new tunes was presented and will be on the Focus 9 album, yet to be released. The presentation of "Eruption" was fantastic, to some extend, close to the original version but the difference was a jam-like duel between guitar-bass-drumms. Awesome performance ! Harem Scarem got the same treatment. So two hours later we left the Canecão theater with hopes of another Focus presentation anytime in 2006.
Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
NetsNJFan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 16:20

too bad they wont play NY

no Focus fans here in America

such an underated band, over the last month "Hamburger Concerto" has become one of my favorite albums, especially the song "Birth".

And Yes, Thijs is a beast on flute/hammond.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 17:22
Pierre van der Linden back in Focus!!!!!!!! WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 19:23
Fantastic! Sounds like I should definitely catch them if they are UK bound any time soon... I had my doubts back in 03 but this report is very encouraging.

Oh and Nets - Hamburger Concerto is their real masterpiece! God knows why so many people rate Moving Waves so highly. Too much filler on side 1 if you ask me... Thjis' flute playing on Birth is simply astounding. A killer track.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 19:37

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Fantastic! Sounds like I should definitely catch them if they are UK bound any time soon... I had my doubts back in 03 but this report is very encouraging.

Oh and Nets - Hamburger Concerto is their real masterpiece! God knows why so many people rate Moving Waves so highly. Too much filler on side 1 if you ask me... Thjis' flute playing on Birth is simply astounding. A killer track.

'Hamburger concherto' is most definatly Focus finest moment...I kinda like 'Ship of memories' album,which is more than anything leftovers from the ''Hamburger'' takes.

Edited by Karnevil9
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 19:57
Personally I saw Akkerman last year.. he was excellent...and I wouldn't want to see Focus without him...  altho I'm sure the replacement is good...
THIS IS ELP
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 23:05

Threefates wrote:

Quote Personally I saw Akkerman last year.. he was excellent...and I wouldn't want to see Focus without him...  altho I'm sure the replacement is good...

I used to think just like you Threefates, but Dumee is really amazing, he's style is very similar to Ian Akkerman's, but more humble and less greatness delirium.

The guy does his job perfectly.

One question Lunarscape, I knew Thijs had a stroke a couple years ago and was unable to play flute and yodle, Is he completely recovered from his health problem?

Iván

Lunarscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 11:48

Ivan, he more than recovered...I know that he's "adopted" a brazilian girlfriend somewhat 25 years yonger than him, and I could actually se her standing at the stage entree from where I was seated. Very pretty girl LOL... Last time Thjiis was here he announced that a stand in flute player would be doing the flute parts since he was recovering from a facial nerve paralysis. But this recent show he was singing, yodling and man..what a performance on flutes...

TreeFates...nobody got more P****d off than I when I learned that Akkerman had left Focus back then. It really represented the fact that Focus had come to a halt. Ship of Memories and Focus Con Proby were such sh*tty albums that I did quit on them. I did spend some 25 years without listening to them. So when I started to rebuild my cd collection "something was missing" LOL and ofcourse I did stumble over Focus III, Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto. You cant imagine how well these tunes fell in to my moods at that particular time. So when Focus actually came to town, I just had to se them, even if it was only with Thjiis van Leer. Jan Akkerman is a superb guitar player, no doubt, but if have the chance to se or even listen to Jan Dumeé, give him a try. He has the Akkerman touch and feeling, plus the cool and soft Steve Hacket way of playing. The FOCUS LIVE IN THE USA 2002 is available at www.classicrock.com and pretty cheap too. So you can se for yourself...

Flowerchild; Pierre van der Linden is one heck of a powerhouse behind those drums. I just couldnt belive that I actually was alive  when in the middle of Hocus Pocus Thjiis van Leer presented the band with..; "And on the drums....Pierre van de Lindennnnnnn" Just like the Live at The Rainbow recording....Thats the stuff that prog-lovers live for....

Lunar 

Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply