Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKatatonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Well Brave Murder Day is an extremely influential album. Does anyone else but me hear Agalloch ? Personally I think Brave Murder Day is prog-related. But itŽs especially Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness that should get Katatonia into the Prog Archives database. The two latest albums also hold proggy elements. Their song structures might be simple but they are not ordinary vers/ chours songs. YouŽll find short proggy interludes in most songs and an innovative approach to songwriting on most albums by the band. IŽll champion their inclusion any day.

I also completely agree with UMUR and John Davie here ! KATATONIA is a band we can not longer ignore here on PA. I am personally not a great fan of DOOM METAL, BLACK METAL and DEATH METAL, but I guess bands like OPETH and KATATONIA have proven me differently ! I can even say that band like OPETH and KATATONIA are amongst my favorite bands today, and I place them right next to my other favs like PORCUPINE TREE, RIVERSIDE, SYLVAN, TOOL and RUSH. 

OK, DANCE OF DECEMBER SOULS wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but from their second studio album   BRAVE MURDER DAY with Michael Akerfeldt on vocals and their 1998 album DISCOURAGED ONES it's all awesome ! In my opinion LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN (2001), VIVA EMPTINESS (2003), THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE (2006) and also their latest studio album NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY (2009) are all gems and I consider all of them at least prog-related. Believe me, we have bands added here on PA which are far less proggy than KATATONIA. Besides, KATATONIA seems to be one of Michael Akerfeldt's and Steven Wilson's favorite metal bands, so why not give this great band a warm welcome on PA??

Posted by complete PORCUPINE TREE, OPETH and KATATONIA addict,

Evenless
Evenless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12