Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Axelrod (US)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Axelrod (US)
    Posted: December 22 2009 at 15:38
No, not the politician.

Did a search and didn't find him (thought I'd suggested him before but probably I just didn't post it).  He's been a very sampled artist by hip-hoppers.

Some links:

He's a composer, arranger,and producer from LA and he's done work in various styles throughout a lengthy career.

Here is the rateyourmusic list of albums and I'll include their category descriptions:

albums.push('tr38236'); albums.push('tr38237'); albums.push('tr98482'); albums.push('tr98480'); albums.push('tr89356'); albums.push('tr96650'); albums.push('tr98476'); albums.push('tr98474'); albums.push('tr98472'); albums.push('tr98473'); albums.push('tr30509'); albums.push('tr1905096'); albums.push('tr1813564');
1968 Song of Innocence 5 issues 18 283

rate
1969 Songs of Experience 5 issues 10 209

rate
1970 Earth Rot 3 issues 6 81

rate
1971 David Axelrod's Rock Interpretation of Handel's Messiah 2 issues
11a rock interpretation of the Messiah
rate
1972 The Auction DL 75355  2 25

rate
1975 Heavy Axe 2 issues 3 33

rate
1975 Seriously Deep 3 issues 4 36
 Genres

rate
1977 Strange Ladies MCA-2283  1 13
 Genres

rate
1980 Marchin' MCA-3199  2 9
 Genres

rate
1993 Requiem: The Holocaust 2 issues

rate
1995 The Big Country 2 issues 1 4

rate
2001 David Axelrod 2 issues 1 60

rate
2005 Appears on: Revolver [Nathaniel Mechaly] NA 008 

rate
2008 Royal Festival Hall Live

This is a too hastily done overview of works of his from various albums:

Anyway, just wanted to mention the possibility and hear what others think...

Just a fanboy passin' through.
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 16:26
Very ambient and jazz oriented - simply like that, I call it a real American Prog! I like the sound. "Human Abstract" the thrack shows it best what i try to say; this one sounds like some good ECM stuff from 80's to me.

Abit of minimalism too. Perfect StarStarStarStarStar

Thank you for posting, never  heard Axelrod before.

Edited by ko - December 22 2009 at 16:36
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 14:51
I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D  Thanks for listening.  I really like that "Human Abstract" track.  And his work with the psych band Electric Prunes was interesting.

And just a bit of trivia for Fusion folk:

Originally posted by wikipedia wikipedia wrote:

Axelrod produced Adderley’s 1967 album Live At the Club, which spawned one of the biggest jazz hits of all time, the funky "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy”, written by the band’s pianist Joe Zawinul (who would later, along with Wayne Shorter, create Weather Report, one of the most influential bands in jazz fusion)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 20:28
I really thought this one would stir up quite a fair bit of reaction (not necessarily positive). He's not someone I would EXPECT in (though Prog-Related would come closest). And Song of Innocence is one of my preferred albums from '68. He's a much bigger name with hip-hop samplers than with proghgeads methinks

I forgot to include this from 1970's Earth Rot:

Good music, anyway, and wanted to share some of it.  Thanks ko for your post before -- much appreciated.
AmericanProgster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 20:37
Well if his work on the Electric Prunes albums (Mass in F Minor & Release of an Oath) say anything about his solo stuff, then he could probably easily get into cross-over.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 21:28
I think you'd like his first few albums (check out the first vid I posted).  Song of Innocence is a fine album to start with.

Earth Rot
is an interesting one, and I'm listening again now.  Kind of imagine going to a church with trippy flower children preachily singing about environmental destruction.  The music is dated, but the message is very relevant.  Electric Prunes is very cool, btw.  Did a search and saw you'd done a couple of topics on it.  I expect I'll bump one of them in the coming days.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 16:08
I'd like to get some more opinions on this, as I feel in some ways too close to the music (and I do have this strong tendency to suggest acts that stretch Prog expectations and some would fear would open the doors overmuch, but often that's just where my interest is).

At wikipedia it's listed as:

Genres Psychedelic funk
Jazz-funk
Experimental music

I really like the music and think it could find a place in PA.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2010 at 15:43
I will mention this to Crossover.  Thanks to ko and AmericanProgster for your posts.

I've added him to progfreak: http://progfreak.com/David-Axelrod,_dbe,artists,_auto_2873532.xhtml?path=discography

While I question best fit, I'd like to pass it through Crossover (he's done a lot of jazz/funk and psych but has mainstream pop aspects).  While I strongly considered related, I think he does progressive music that could fit into a Prog category. 

Very good for those into such music.

Edited by Logan - January 09 2010 at 16:14
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 12:14
Any more opinions on this one? Personally I think Prog-Related, Psyche or an Art Rock sub.  FOr the psyche/jazz mix I would rather like Eclectic.

Edited by Logan - January 26 2010 at 12:41
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 13:38
Bump.  Prog-Related?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2010 at 23:59
Hum, The Electric Prunes is on Psych/Space chart now but nobody knows where they should go... Confused
And he is now under evals on Xover chart.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - February 03 2010 at 00:01
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 09:59
I suggested Axelrod to Xover, so it was added to the chart, but after a little time, I withdrew my suggestion for there -- I'd like to get some more opinions on David Axelrod's music, even informal ones, before proceeding with this (I think related or proto for the early albums would come closest).  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2010 at 12:15
Actually, I'm going to move this to General Music discussions since I don't wish to formally propose this now, but would rather a more casual discussion based on people's impressions of the music.  Prog, Prog-Related or neither, good artist I think.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 04:35
Sorry to be a late-comer here. not through disinterest, just time limitations, an interesting artist Greg, and one that I'll probably get to hear more when I have some free time / me time - my personal curiocity is piqued by Earth Rot as it is a subject I've frequently used in my own "music", though I'd hazzard a guess that some of his other experimental work is closer to what I like, (given that I'm not into Jazz much... at all). From the clips you've posted and the MySpace samples that I have heard I can easily see why he is difficult to place in any single genre, and there I think is the problem and why he doesn't fit. I wouldn't have a problem with Prog Related though given that he fits all three criteria in some way or other.
What?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 11:37
Noticed it was moved to another forum so it eventually caught my attention.

Pronk (progressive funk) and Proul (progressive soul)LOL............Ermm

I want rock!

The samples from the 60's sound very Morricone-like as if they were taken from a movie. I like it. The later samples do not sound fit for this site but I could be mistaken (JR/F). Perhaps Proto-prog? although it would be a radical turn in my view.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 12:48
I would favour proto-prog for the early albums, and would also liken it to Morricone.  He worked in TV/ movies.

I'd like to post a review from The New Gibraltar Encyclopaedia of Progressive Rock that I found earlier today http://www.gepr.net/arfram.html:

Quote David Axelrod's music has literally been rescued from the scrapheap, and brought to the attention of millions through the work of hip-hop deejays who started sampling bits and pieces of his music in the mid- to late-1990s. Through the 1960s and into the early 1970s, Axelrod was a house producer, arranger, and composer for Capitol Records, and his collaborations were surprisingly broad. He worked with everyone from jazz saxophonist Cannonball Adderley and his cornet-playing brother Nat, to R & B singer Lou Rawls, to pop-rockers The Electric Prunes, to popular actor David McCallum (best known as "Ilya Kuriakhin" on the 60s TV series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."). He also recorded a string of solo LPs for Capitol, Polydor and other labels. Though his album covers hearken images of Nehru jackets, oversized zodiac medallions, and patchouli abuse, Axelrod's LPs are epic-scale works, all-instrumental, and surprisingly intelligent, albeit a tad dated. He had the cream of the LA studio crop at his disposal, so the musicianship is first rate. Most prominent on Song of Innocence are bassist Carol Kaye, drummer Earl Palmer, guitarists Howard Roberts and Gary Coleman, and vibraharpist Gene Estes. Though you may associate these names with movie and TV soundtracks, their work is not just professional and technically perfect, it's hip and inspired as well.

Song of Innocence is loosely based on the mystical poetry of William Blake. According to the liner notes, Axelrod didn't think a vocal ensemble could capture the essence of Blake's poems, so he opted for an all-instrumental interpretation instead. The result sounds to me like a really fascinating movie score (think Morricone), combined with a healthy dose of late 60s psychedelia, and a bit of somewhat Zappa-like weirdness. Earl Palmer's subtle, insouciantly funky drumming is a marvel to behold, and guitarist Howard Roberts flashes some of the twisted brilliance that characterized his playing on his wonderful early 70s solo LPs Equinox Express Elevator and Antelope Freeway. Axelrod is extremely adept at combining strings and horns into his music in a way that doesn't sound like they're intended as a "sweetener". Songs of Experience had an even sillier cover than Songs of Innocence, and continued the William Blake thread. Musically, it's a somewhat less-distinguished re-hash of the same formula that made Songs of Innocence such a stunner. That said, it does have its moments ("London", "The Sick Rose") and it's worth checking out if you enjoy film soundtracks and epic musical productions. For my money, both of these LPs are first-rate orchestral instrumental progressive rock recordings from the late 1960s. Both beat the crap out of Days of Future Passed at any rate.

I haven't heard much of Axelrod's subsequent work, though what I did hear was bland almost to the point of infringement upon Muzak territory. I have read from a few reliable sources that Seriously Deep (recorded for Polydor in the early 1970s) is similar to Songs of Innocence, and is also quite good. Strange Ladies, from 1979, is tepid LA-style fusion. Most of Axelrod's best stuff has been reissued on vinyl and CD, so there's no need to pay exorbitant prices for original pressings. There is also a new recording (from 2001, I cannot recall the title) and a compilation CD (The Axelrod Chronicles). -- Dave Wayne

Since Morricone was mentioned and I just wrote something elsewhere about Morricone similarities, I just want to share some Morricone clips from one of my favourite soundtracks of Morricone.  Not because of similarities so much as because I think this is awesome and some might enjoy it:

As for building a case for all of the criteria necessary for adding Axelrod to a non-Prog category, I'd need to do extensive research.  Perhaps there are others of a similar ilk that should take precedence.  His music does, however, fit my progressive rock umbrella even if it's not Prog (but there were many in that soundtrack-sounding, producer/composer lounge/ exotica furrow).  This is a can o' worms suggestion methinks.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 12:59
I really like this track which I missed linking to before from his, imo, excellent 1968 debut:

Post Reply Post Reply