Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTorngat (Post Rock)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torngat (Post Rock)
    Posted: December 25 2009 at 14:59

Torngat is a Post Rock band from Québec, Canada formed in 2001 in Montréal. It's an instrumental band, they released two albums, You Could Be and La petite Nicole.

Members:

- Pietro Amato / French horn, percussions, melodeon
- Mathieu Charbonneau / Keyboards, percussions, melodeon
- Julien Poissant / Drums, keyboard, trumpet, melodeon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting fact : Pietro Amato is an ex-member of Arcade Fire. He is also a member of Bell Orchestre, a band that is already here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official website: http://torngat.ca/news/

Edited by Tsevir Leirbag - December 25 2009 at 16:54
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2009 at 22:14
From those two videos and the samples on their Myspace, I'm supporting this one

The song in the second video is incredibly clever. Sounds incredibly different to a lot of post rock I've heard before
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2009 at 23:00
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

From those two videos and the samples on their Myspace, I'm supporting this one

The song in the second video is incredibly clever. Sounds incredibly different to a lot of post rock I've heard before

Seconded.

They have a unique sound for a post rock band, I really like the inclusion of brass instruments.
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 14:04
I'm happy to see some good opinions about it, I really feel this band is missing here and should really be added. Keep on posting what you think about it! Smile
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 14:36
I'd support this in PA too.  Not only, and of course most importantly,  do I think the music apt for inclusion, but, as mentioned, it has a member connection already (and, from my limited experience, I think Bell Orchestre is one of the most interesting groups in its category), plus, and this cannot be emphasized enough, it's from Quebec!  Really an amazing music and arts scene from Quebec (leaves the rest of Canada in the dust).

I rather miss the experimental descriptor in the old Post Rock category as I think a Post Rock/ Experimental category describes the instrumental indie rock group better.  It's not the most  "post-rock" (to use the descriptor) of bands I've heard (as I interpret the music and label), but I do believe that it would fit there.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 16:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd support this in PA too.  Not only, and of course most importantly,  do I think the music apt for inclusion, but, as mentioned, it has a member connection already (and, from my limited experience, I think Bell Orchestre is one of the most interesting groups in its category), plus, and this cannot be emphasized enough, it's from Quebec!  Really an amazing music and arts scene from Quebec (leaves the rest of Canada in the dust).

I rather miss the experimental descriptor in the old Post Rock category as I think a Post Rock/ Experimental category describes the instrumental indie rock group better.  It's not the most  "post-rock" (to use the descriptor) of bands I've heard (as I interpret the music and label), but I do believe that it would fit there.

Wow, thanks for your comment.
And I'm really happy to see some other people encouraging and loving our local scene. You should check my blog and appreciation thread about Québécois' music in Prog Archives. Smile

NOTE: I'd like to write their bio if they're added.
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 16:49
I've checked it out before, and am looking at it now for recommendations I'm not familiar with.  What I'd like to see more of is embedded youtube vids since I'm one of those who will almost click on those when I see them (even if it means pausing music I'm already listening to -- most though, it seems, don't have the same compulsion to watch/listen, then comment).  I must admit, though, that I have a strange aversion to the blog section, as well as genre threads (maybe partially due to my short attention span), and commonly discover music using non-PA search engines.  These days I rather prefer to keep new discoveries down to a trickle though, as when I find an album I really like, I play the crap out of it and then search for related music.  I still check out Suggest New Bands quite regularly (though not as prolific as I used to be), and try to comment on ones and have found some great music that way (shame more members don't use this section regularly to comment on and listen to new to them suggestions -- as well as those one already knows).

I've long had a penchant for French Prog (particularly France, but also French speaking speaking areas -- Quebec, Belgium).  It's much the same with film for me.  Even though quite lot of it is Instrumental, you could say I'm hooked on Francophonics.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 17:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've checked it out before, and am looking at it now for recommendations I'm not familiar with.  What I'd like to see more of is embedded youtube vids since I'm one of those who will almost click on those when I see them (even if it means pausing music I'm already listening to -- most though, it seems, don't have the same compulsion to watch/listen, then comment).

That's a good idea. For each artist presentation, I'll try to link at least one YouTube video / song. Smile
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 17:50
I'll post a  Quebec recommendation in your blog if it hasn't been mentioned already: Franck Dervieux's Dimension M from 1972 (he was in Contraction and I see this is listed under Contraction in PA -- in Crossover.  It's a fine album)

http://www.myspace.com/franckdervieuxquprog

Edited by Logan - December 26 2009 at 17:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 18:24
He hasn't been suggested yet. It would be kind of you to le présenter au peuple! Tongue
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 20:37
from the few songs i heard on youtube and myspace i can say it is very interesting band. pretty much different from the standard post rock scheme , so IMO  they can be added to PA , so we will see what other members from the team will vote, and inform you to write the bio if their addition had been approved 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
 Post Reply Post Reply