Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Classical Music Fan Here ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Classical Music Fan Here ?
    Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:20
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

I do not want to appear ignorant or arrogant, but classical music is openly pretentious and hackneyed.  Ive listened to Shubert, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart and it seems staid and dull. 

dude, there was no rock and roll in the 17/1800's. Pretentious is certainly arguable, but seriously what the hell are you talking about? We're on a progrock forum. As far as rock&roll gets, you don't get more pretentious than progrock. Hey I love it, but it's a kind of mediocre term to throw around on a prog forum I'd say. Oh yeah, and hackneyed my ass.

helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 16:15
I'm not confusing a clavichord with a harpsichord. Harpsichord plucks strings, clavichord does not. I don't know german, so as far as those deffinitions go for "klavier" I was just stating what I've learned about it. On the other hand, Bach loved writing his music on clavichord, though it was written for harpsichord, because like I said, performing on clavichord would be much too quite for most occasions.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by helofloki helofloki wrote:

Originally posted by arnold stirrup arnold stirrup wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The German word "Klavier" (older spellings "Claver") means "piano" and not "keyboard" (the German word for "keyboard" is "Klaviatur"). It may be true though that at the time of Bach the word just referred to the manual of the instrument.
The first piano (full name "pianoforte") was built 1726 by Bartolomeo Francesco de Cristofori. They were definitely around already when Bach composed.
Gottfried Silbermann (famous for his organs) built the first piano in Germany.

I thinks Bach's intention with the WTC was to write a work for "keyboard", and not specifically a piano. He wanted to create a universal means of tuning a keyboard instrument, which, in fact, he did. He may certainly have had the pianoforte in mind as one of the purposes of composing WTC.

The vast majority of Bach's keyboard works were written for either organ or harpsichord. WTC was initially written for and performed on harpsichord, but was meant to be applied to any keyboard instrument.

I'm sorry you guys have it almost all wrong, thought you're completely right about well tempered. Before then, there was no consistent tuning system where like say half steps were equal. It was based on arbitrary things or the overtone series.

BUT, the Klavier is actually an instrument independent of Organ, Piano, or Harpsichord, but in english it's called a Clavichord (sp?). It was Bach's personal favorite as far as keyboards were concerned because it was fairly flexible. I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but I think it was something similar to tapping a guitar, hammers would push down the strings. As you can imagine it really wasn't loud enough at all to play with any other instruments really, but many of he composers loved it for composing.

Sorry, but you are wrong about that. The German word for "Clavichord" is, surprise surprise, "Klavichord". The German word "Klavier" means "Piano"; other German words for the piano are "Piano", "Flügel" (this refers to a grand piano) and, a little obsolete today, "Pianoforte".
You probably confuse the clavichord with the harpsichord ("Cembalo" in German). Indeed most works of Bach which today are played on the piano were originally written for harpsichord.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

I do not want to appear ignorant or arrogant, but classical music is openly pretentious and hackneyed.  Ive listened to Shubert, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart and it seems staid and dull. 

The closest thing I can listen that resembles classical music is the prog group Renaissance. 

In that case I would steer you to more contemporary composers like Copeland, Stravinsky, Mahler.

"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 20:18

The closest thing I can listen that resembles classical music is the prog group Renaissance. 

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 15:45
Hope you caught the excerpts from Aaron Copeland's "Appalachian Spring" and "Rodeo" on one of the many montages last night at the Oscar ceremonies.  That is one composer who knew the effectiveness of contrasts and dynamics.  Love his stuff.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 17:20

The German word "Klavier" (older spellings "Claver") means "piano" and not "keyboard" (the German word for "keyboard" is "Klaviatur"). It may be true though that at the time of Bach the word just referred to the manual of the instrument.
The first piano (full name "pianoforte") was built 1726 by Bartolomeo Francesco de Cristofori. They were definitely around already when Bach composed.

I thinks Bach's intention with the WTC was to write a work for "keyboard", and not specifically a piano. He wanted to create a universal means of tuning a keyboard instrument, which, in fact, he did. He may certainly have had the pianoforte in mind as one of the purposes of composing WTC.

The vast majority of Bach's keyboard works were written for either organ or harpsichord. WTC was initially written for and performed on harpsichord, but was meant to be applied to any keyboard instrument.

I'm sorry you guys have it almost all wrong, thought you're completely right about well tempered. Before then, there was no consistent tuning system where like say half steps were equal. It was based on arbitrary things or the overtone series.

BUT, the Klavier is actually an instrument independent of Organ, Piano, or Harpsichord, but in english it's called a Clavichord (sp?). It was Bach's personal favorite as far as keyboards were concerned because it was fairly flexible. I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but I think it was something similar to tapping a guitar, hammers would push down the strings. As you can imagine it really wasn't loud enough at all to play with any other instruments really, but many of he composers loved it for composing.

helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 17:08

Mozarts for pussies!!! just kidding, he's awsome. Especially his operas. He knows how to take an insipid melody and fashion it in a fantastic way.

I always loved Rachmoninov and Stravinsky, both very good at keeping things interesting while straying far from tradition but at the same time keeping it well in mind, but recently I've found some other guys who really kick ass. The first time I heard Messaen I just feell in love with the way he just kind of loses time and brings you to this alternate universe with a strange atmosphere that's hard to describe, can only really be reached by listening to his music. His work with birdcalls and rhythm is awsome and innovative too. I've grown a liking for Brahms and Berlioz, thought their styles differ quite a bit. Each has their own aspects that just kick ass. Wagner is pretty awsome too, with his intensity and epicness and whatnot.

Everyone knows Beethoven is great, because he is, denying it is being stupid. In light of this, however, many people often over look his contemporary Schubert who writes some of the most amazing works out there. You all need to go buy the C Major string quintet, arguably one of the best works of all time.

Oh and respect the Bach, he's the man. His children, specifically Carl Philip Emanuel, kicked ass too.

alright yeah, "classical" is the ownage.

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 16:55
Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Shubert, Copeland, Grieg, Handel,Bach and Stravinsky.  You can't go wrong with those guys and they start my every work day on the commute to work.  In proper disc rotation, of course!
arnold stirrup View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 21:56

highly underrated; he rarely ever appears in drum polls, although he would definitely belong in any.

Wholeheartedly agree. I love his style. I always like to mention him in threads which list fave drummers, because usually no one else does. Time Is The Key has been a long standing favorite album.
So much music. So little time.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 08:44

PS- I like your sig pic. RIP PM. I saw him perform in the early 80's.

My favourite prog-drummer, and highly underrated; he rarely ever appears in drum polls, although he would definitely belong in any. No other drummer influenced my own style of drumming more.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 07:54

PS- I like your sig pic. RIP PM. I saw him perform in the early 80's.

Edited by arnold stirrup
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 04:01

And to say Bach hated the piano is also totally off the target; one of the most famous works of Bach is his "Well-Tempered Piano", 24 preludes and fugues for piano, one in every minor and major key.

The actual name of the work is "The Well-Tempered Clavier"...clavier meaning keyboard. I think. I also think he composed it for harpsichord...I don't think pianos were around yet. But I could be wrong. Nonetheless, my favorite versions of this piece are all performed on the piano (Gould, Tureck, Hewitt)

More than anything else, Bach loved the organ.

From an online-encyclopedia entry about J.S. Bach:
Bach, and many other composers of his time, were experts at improvisation, composing musical pieces instantly, on the spot - similar to jazz players today.

Charles Mingus often said that he was doing the same thing as Bach.

The German word "Klavier" (older spellings "Clavier") means "piano" and not "keyboard" (the German word for "keyboard" is "Klaviatur"). It may be true though that at the time of Bach the word just referred to the manual of the instrument.

Edited by BaldFriede

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 23:12

And to say Bach hated the piano is also totally off the target; one of the most famous works of Bach is his "Well-Tempered Piano", 24 preludes and fugues for piano, one in every minor and major key.

The actual name of the work is "The Well-Tempered Clavier"...clavier meaning keyboard. I think. I also think he composed it for harpsichord...I don't think pianos were around yet. But I could be wrong. Nonetheless, my favorite versions of this piece are all performed on the piano (Gould, Tureck, Hewitt)

More than anything else, Bach loved the organ.

Bach, and many other composers of his time, were experts at improvisation, composing musical pieces instantly, on the spot - similar to jazz players today.

Charles Mingus often said that he was doing the same thing as Bach.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 14:13

Originally posted by FuzzyDude FuzzyDude wrote:

I hate classical. I'm a jazz man all the way through.

Many notable jazz composers/performers (Mingus, Monk, Ornette Coleman, Coltrane, to name a few) were influenced by and appreciated the likes of Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, and Bartok. Maybe you should give 'em a try!

True. Let me refine my statement.

I hate pre-Romantic era classical music. And as much as I admire Ravel and Bartok, I dislike a genre where there are so few composers and so many re-enactments. The classical vibe makes me sick. In jazz, every musician is a composer in his own right. Classical music isn't an art, it's a cold and calculating science.

You seem to know very little about classical music. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Liszt (to name but a few) were renowned to be great improvisors. What you seem to overlook is that there were no recording devices at that time.

Actually, I am very much aware of that. The problem is that we have no idea what they sounded like. I see no reason to admire someone's abilities if I've never actually HEARD them play. For all I know, they were awful and people merely admired them because of how DIFFICULT it was back thejust to improvise.

P.S. Bach (and I assume you mean Johann Sebastian) wasn't known for his improvisation skills at all. You see, he was a very uptight fellow, which is why he devopled fugues. Besides, he hated pianos.

You are VERY wrong about Johann Sebastian Bach; he was very famous for his improvisation skills. He once improvised a 6-voiced fugue for Friedrich the Great. He could definitely NOT have composed it, because Friedrich had composed the theme himself, and Friedrich gave it to him and asked him to improvise a fugue for him, based on the theme. At another time he was challenged for a contest by another harpsichord player (French virtuoso Louis Marchand), who decided to take a leave and not attend the contest at all when he heard Bach improvise.

Bach, and many other composers of his time, were experts at improvisation, composing musical pieces at instantly, on the spot - similar to jazz players today. It was not considered rude to add whatever the player desired into the written context of the composer himself. Thus, early music was very free and flexible to play. Unfortunately, because Bach improvised so much, most of his pieces were not contained on paper. Some people consider that most of Bach's works that are on paper are not worth saving anyway, since music written for one occasion (in Bach's case, church) should be discarded anyhow. But all people have a certain level of curiosity, to hear what Bach had to say with the language of music. More than a thousand of Bach's works have been saved, but it is mind-boggling to think of how many more - and how much greater - his other thousand or so compositions could be.

Yes, well... uhm... he was still uptight!!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:19

Many notable jazz composers/performers (Mingus, Monk, Ornette Coleman, Coltrane, to name a few) were influenced by and appreciated the likes of Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, and Bartok. Maybe you should give 'em a try!

I hate pre-Romantic era classical music. And as much as I admire Ravel and Bartok, I dislike a genre where there are so few composers and so many re-enactments. The classical vibe makes me sick. In jazz, every musician is a composer in his own right. Classical music isn't an art, it's a cold and calculating science.

You seem to know very little about classical music. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Liszt (to name but a few) were renowned to be great improvisors. What you seem to overlook is that there were no recording devices at that time.

Actually, I am very much aware of that. The problem is that we have no idea what they sounded like. I see no reason to admire someone's abilities if I've never actually HEARD them play. For all I know, they were awful and people merely admired them because of how DIFFICULT it was back thejust to improvise.

P.S. Bach (and I assume you mean Johann Sebastian) wasn't known for his improvisation skills at all. You see, he was a very uptight fellow, which is why he devopled fugues. Besides, he hated pianos.

You are VERY wrong about Johann Sebastian Bach; he was very famous for his improvisation skills. He once improvised a 6-voiced fugue for Friedrich the Great. He could definitely NOT have composed it, because Friedrich had composed the theme himself, and Friedrich gave it to him and asked him to improvise a fugue for him, based on the theme. At another time he was challenged for a contest by another harpsichord player (French virtuoso Louis Marchand), who decided to take a leave and not attend the contest at all when he heard Bach improvise.

Bach, and many other composers of his time, were experts at improvisation, composing musical pieces at instantly, on the spot - similar to jazz players today. It was not considered rude to add whatever the player desired into the written context of the composer himself. Thus, early music was very free and flexible to play. Unfortunately, because Bach improvised so much, most of his pieces were not contained on paper. Some people consider that most of Bach's works that are on paper are not worth saving anyway, since music written for one occasion (in Bach's case, church) should be discarded anyhow. But all people have a certain level of curiosity, to hear what Bach had to say with the language of music. More than a thousand of Bach's works have been saved, but it is mind-boggling to think of how many more - and how much greater - his other thousand or so compositions could be.

Edited by BaldFriede

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 09:04

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 01:35

Edited by BaldFriede

chromaticism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 00:14

Here's my list:

1.  Johann Sebastian Bach

2.  Franz Liszt

3.  Claude Debussy

4.  Frederic Chopin

5.  Igor Stravinsky

6.  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

7.  Gustav Holst

8.  Hector Berlioz

9.  Bela Bartok

10.  Modest Mussorgsky

By the way, as a side note, Jazz fans should listen to Debussy, Stravinsky, Gershwin or Scott Joplin since among classical composers they seem to have an affinity towards Jazz.  It's worth mentioning that composers such as Chopin compose music by improvising first, much like Jazz musicians.  It's also worth noting that Baroque music is closest to Jazz in concept since it gives a lot of room for improvisation (basso continuo etc.); it's not a very popular idea since most classically-trained musicians/performers tend to play note for note (what a sad fact ).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 23:12

Perhaps your hatred is more directed toward the classical music business and "establishment"? That is, a business whereby the major orchestras of the world thrive on performance of a standard repertoire as opposed to newly composed music. Re-enactments of musical performances of music written by guys who've been dead for a long time as opposed to premieres of current orchestral works by living composers (because its much easier for the orchestra and conductor, and besides the dead guys don't have to get paid).

I can fully empathize with you on this point. The business of classical music is indeed a cold and calculating science. There are a great many composers, just very few who actually get their music performed.

But there are orchestras devoted to performance of 20th century music.  Ensemble Modern for example.

Jazz improv and through-composed music are apples and oranges, imo. The ability to compose on the spot through improvisation, and the ability to express a fully developed idea in one's head in musical terms with pen and paper (or computer) are both quite astonishing. Whichever one I like more depends on what I'm into at the time!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>